• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running pains

start little and work up to bigger things...  don't push yourself to hard, or you will do more damage than anything

I have always been prone to shin splints in the early stages of a running program until I can comfortably lengthen out the stride a bit, and with age my knees have become more susceptible to discomfort.  My rule of thumb is to quit running and walk the balance of the time/distance when I start to become uncomfortable (from whatever cause - ragged breathing, side stitches, shin splints, etc) to the point where it affects my stride.  Basically, once I'm unable to remain in the "comfort zone" I start to compensate with muscles and joints that I really don't want to be straining, so I avoid straining them.  I also do a few weight exercises to strengthen the muscles so that the muscles take up the slack, not the joints.

Shin splints are often a result of hyper-pronation, which over-stretches the tendons in your legs when you run. To combat that, I would suggest one of two things, or both combined. First, try motion control shoes, such as NewBalance or whatever. They provide greater arch support and they also make it so your ankles don't roll around as much. The second option is some sort of insole, whether it be off the shelf or custom made, try everything and stick with what works. THe combination of custom insoles and motion control shoes have really helped me get painfree in running. Hope this helps.

Big Foot said:
..First, try motion control shoes, such as NewBalance or whatever...

Just like to say i switched to new balance a while ago and they are a big difference from your typical shoe. Good all around shoe

so I took a week off (was recommended right  ;) )and went to mexico and got back last week on friday...

back to training, I had to get a membership at the gym since IMO it's way too cold to run outside now and boy oh boy the only thing I can say is treadmills are nowhere near running on the street I found...what a differance...the street tires me out a whole lot more...treadmills are a lot easier and feel...wrong

either way I guess begger's can't be choosers

but my knee pain is gone...the week off really helped...

I really would like to thank you all once again, and I will definitivally tone it down and go at a slower pace  :salute:

I agree that treadmills are easier than outdoor running.  I've been a runner for the last few years and during the winter I find that I am not as easily tired out when running on a treadmill.  A good way to change this (If you don't have access to an indoor track and your machine will let you do this) is to increase your incline on the machine or (in the case of my gym) put it on random terrain.  Its still not as good as running outside but can get it pretty close to.

putz said:
I agree that treadmills are easier than outdoor running.   I've been a runner for the last few years and during the winter I find that I am not as easily tired out when running on a treadmill.   A good way to change this (If you don't have access to an indoor track and your machine will let you do this) is to increase your incline on the machine or (in the case of my gym) put it on random terrain.   Its still not as good as running outside but can get it pretty close to.

ahh great Idea, I haden't even thought of that!  8)

I will give it a try tommorow when I go to the gym, Thanks!

My new Nike runners are totaly awsome.

They have a good tread pattern that provides lots of traction and are very light and have a very soft sole which provides lots of cushioning when you run.

My knee's aren't the greatest from snowboarding but I don't get sore joints after a 2.4km run.

I usually stretched for 20-30min before I run and it seems to help with my joints pretty well. I also stretch the same amount after I finish running. While I was in the college track team, I pulled the iliotibial band in my left knee so I know what NOT, or lack thereof, stretching can do to you. It's probably one of the most important things you can do. Also try incorporating a physical fitness routine into your session, before I go running I do a set of sit-ups and push-ups after I stretch. The same when I return.

A nutriontial eating habit will help in the long run as well. Eat your vegetables! =)

I despise and am disgusted by PEAS but I will chew them down for my own benefit.

came across this article the other day and was wondering if anyone has tried these shoes out....been toying with the idea of picking them up

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how2/article/0,20967,783917,00.html

when i've started running, I've got also joint pain. I went to a sport physician ans they told me it was chondromalacia, an inflammation on the joint. One of the cause, is a debalance between muscles strenght, making the rotula to move inward or outward.   then, they give me exercise to reequilibrate the muscle strenght ans the pain left.

Now, i've ran for 8 years and i'm still enjoying it.
The meaning of the story: Go see a md specialized in sports, do strenght training and continue running, like everybody else told you. Do icing 3 time per day and take aspirin once in a while.

You know, i'm surprise by the amount of people who's not listening to its body. When you have anormal pain that's coming back, like due to an exercise, go see a doctor!!!!!   ::)

Back