• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Running for...??

Mike92

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I had a question about running, specifically WHY you guys (CF members run).

Now before you guys go thinking I'm stupid (if you haven't already ;)) let me explain:

To my knowledge, the whole purpose of PT is to better prepare soldiers for combat/deployments. From watching combat footage on line and reading about the conflict in Afghanistan, I haven't found many instances where soldiers have to run for 30-40 minutes at a moderate-to-fast pace on the battlefield. I would imagine combat (especially urban combat) consists more of fast all-out sprints rather then long runs.

The CF fitness tests consist of either the beep test, step test or 2.4 km run. All of these are shorter duration activities (<20 minutes).

I have heard that ruck marching is more about leg strength/muscular endurance then cardiovascular endurance, but I could very well be wrong since I have never ruck marched before.

I'm no pro-athlete but I have run a few races including a half-marathon and I would think that unless you are training for a long distance endurance event, it is not necessary to run any more then 20-30 minutes. I have achieved my current 2.4km time of 10:00 with only intervals and short (<20 minutes) tempo runs.

I DO NOT mean to offend anyone's current fitness programs because I am sure there are many people on this forum who are way more fit then me. I am just looking for some insight or personal thoughts from CF members, particularly Combat Arms members due to the physical nature of their duties. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong about any of the above information. I hope this will help future CF soldiers become better prepared.

To those who serve and have served, Thank You.

With respect,

Michael K.

You got them backwards.

Pretty great, running is simple fitness.

Mike92 said:
The CF fitness tests consist of either the beep test, step test or 2.4 km run. All of these are shorter duration activities (<20 minutes).

That is because those tests are used as predictors of your fitness levels only.

Back