• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP 2011-2012

For my recruitment medical I had to get blood and urine tests. There were two vision checks; one a simple eye chart and colour blindness done at the recruiting centre, and also a trip to an eye doctor for a full check-up. They also performed a hearing test and the rest of the basic annual physical items.

It was kind of funny, I had my CFAT and medical in the same day, the CFAT first. When we got there they told us there wouldn't be a break, so washrooms now or not until after the test. Fine, that's all well and good. We write the test, and then shortly afterward they're like "Ok, go pee in a cup." I thought the timing could have been better! :)

2010newbie said:
For my recruitment medical I had to get blood and urine tests. There were two vision checks; one a simple eye chart and colour blindness done at the recruiting centre, and also a trip to an eye doctor for a full check-up. They also performed a hearing test and the rest of the basic annual physical items.

Pilot?  I never had blood tests and I'm pretty sure I didn't have a colour blindness test either.

I'm getting sick :(! Perfect timing too (sarcasim), I guess I shall have to rebook my CFAT if I do not feel better by Monday afternoon. That's unfortunate that you have to pay out of your own pocket to fly to the the CFRC, but you have to do it, I hope they reimburse you though, over 700 seems steep :S

he could always jog to the CFRC rather than fly, when your recruiter asks why your feet are swollen and raw tell him you're practicing for your BMOQ  ::)

Lol, just make sure you leave early, and don't forget to eat breakfast!

Just had my interview and my medical today.  Did not have to do the CFAT because I had completed it last year.

Now I just get to wait. And wait. And wait.

Good luck to everybody applying.

jacobg said:
Guys I'm excited, and nervous. I got my call from CFRC Vancouver, and have my CFAT and such booked for the 19th at 8am as well. So i guess I might be seeing pudd13 & Thousand, if that is the time you guys will be there. Lucky for me though the drive to the CFRC only takes about 45 minutes as I live in Langley.

I'm nervous though for the aptitude test, and have been studying especially hard for the math portion. But I'm quite sure that I will do fine.

What does the medical cover? Just basics, like reflexes and such?

Yep, I'm on the 19th as well. I'm David, but I'll probably meet ya there. I'll probably look really nervous, too.  :p
Medical and physicals are different I think. Physical, I would assume (but then remember what they say about assuming xD ) is more of a physical test, like push-ups, beep test and whatnot.

MOTHforLife said:
Just had my interview and my medical today.  Did not have to do the CFAT because I had completed it last year.

Now I just get to wait. And wait. And wait.

Good luck to everybody applying.

So what did they do in the medical and physical? I mean, if you can tell us, that is  :-X.
See ya there!  :salute:

ps: Don't forget shorts, glasses prescription if you have glasses, and photo ID.

I have always been under the impression that the physical fitness testing wasn't until your first week of BMOQ.

"If you apply to the Regular Force, you will be assessed by the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School during the first week of training, in order to ensure that you have an acceptable level of physical fitness prior to continuing basic training. The Recruiting Centre will not conduct this test." (From the CF website, Step 6 of the Application Process).

I think this explains it. I am just a little confused of what the "physical" is that they do at the CFRC. I just figured that things like eyesight and hearing fell under the "physical" end of things, whereas blood, injuries and previous injuries would be discussed in the medical.

pudd13 said:
I am just a little confused of what the "physical" is that they do at the CFRC. I just figured that things like eyesight and hearing fell under the "physical" end of things, whereas blood, injuries and previous injuries would be discussed in the medical.

Nope.  All of that falls under the medical.  "Physical" is just another word for medical.  The physical fitness test is usually just called a fitness or PT test.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/physical

For those asking what is on the medical (I just did mine a couple of weeks ago) it is all just basic stuff. They test your eyesight, color blindness, hearing, medical history, reflexes, and other little things like that. It's not hard so don't even worry about the medical and focus on other things like the CFAT and interview. And on another note, I never had a blood test or urine test during the medical, so maybe only some people get those done?

"your height and weight will be measured and your visual acuteness, colour perception and hearing will be evaluated. A urine sample will also be required during this stage" (from the CF website, Step 4 of the Application Process)

That's strange you didn't have a urine sample. Perhaps there is a slightly different timeline or rule for it for ROTP applicants as opposed to Regular Force applicants in general.

That's sound advice though, about not worrying about the medical. There is no sense worrying about things you can't fix. Instead you should be focusing on the things you can fix or make better. Anything that is out of your control will be the same regardless of if you worry about it or not.

pudd13 said:
Perhaps there is a slightly different timeline or rule for it for ROTP applicants as opposed to Regular Force applicants in general.

Actually there was five other people that had there medicals the same day as me and none of us had to do a urine test and all of us were trying to go into different things, some reserve and some regular, some NCM and some Officer. So maybe it depends on the recruiting centre itself, but who knows.

They stopped doing the urine test.  Go look at the medical threads.

I thought he said physical, but I was so excited at the time, I'm most likely wrong.

Rogo said:
Pilot?  I never had blood tests and I'm pretty sure I didn't have a colour blindness test either.

They did much more for my Aircrew medical than in the recruiting medical. After the recruiting medical I was told to make an appointment go to a lab and get a blood test and urine test. I couldn't find any reference to the blood test, but I found this regarding colour blindness and urine:

"Following this, your height and weight will be measured and your visual acuteness, colour perception and hearing will be evaluated. A urine sample will also be required during this stage."

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/theapplicationprocess-106#step4-4

An Aircrew Medical is different.

As of last week, we are no longer testing Applicants Urine at the CFRC Level, except for those applicants who are going for:

Aircrew Trades
SAR TECH
BioScience

However, that being said, as previously stated you will be given ample oppertunity to provide both Urine and Blood Samples to the Medics during your carreer, for both Health and Legal related issues.

Source:  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/85232/post-874200.html#msg874200

Seriously, this isn't the only thread on the site for info.  ;)

My medical was not as extensive as most people will have, because it was just an update from last year. The usual vision test, hearing test, weight, height. A few questions about my medical history. Nothing special. The actual medical though is not the physical. The physical is not a part of the application process.

MOTHforLife said:
The actual medical though is not the physical. The physical is not a part of the application process.

So you're telling me all those physicals I had to do at the CFRC were a waste of time; man I wish I'd known that before.

MM

Back