• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RFRG 20yrs later

DaveinOttawa

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all.

Got a RFRG question - the gratuity, golden handshake program. I had 9yrs in reserves, 2 in sup, then 2 more in reserves. So 11 yrs total active service but in a 13 yr period I had that two years of sup time.

I never got my RFRG when I finally left. I believe the fin clerk that denied me said it was because I had the 2 yrs of sup in between. I was young then and just assumed these guys don't make errors so I never challenged it. However talking to other vets recently I am not sure.

So two questions.

1. Does anyone know if RFRG didn't allow for sup reserve gaps in between total time in? So potentially if you had 19.8 yrs service but went sup reserve for one week in the middle - you are sol? Because you had 9.9yrs then another 9.9 yrs. And you need 10 "continuous". Sup list means you get cut off. Seems harsh but if that was the system I guess I wasn't eligible.

2. But -If that fin clerk made an error - how do I claim this 20yrs later? I do have some paperwork and correspondence between my old unit, DNDHQ and myself when I left for good - calculating my times in and out and in between. I have some of my records of service. My dates are not in dispute - I can prove it.

Thanks for you time!

Given the age of the issue, contacting your former unit would be fruitless as they would no longer have access to your records. You could try contacting NDHQ, but the answer is likely the same - too long ago for us to reference. Where you might gain better traction is to engage the Ombudsman's office.

The short answer is, the details you provided are insufficient. The regulations governing RFRG were detailed, and certain instances would be disqualifying (for example, if your last two years were attach posted from the Supp Res).

Do you have a copy of your MPRR? That would be step one, to check what was done in your transfers from P Res to Supp Res (or SHR, depending on the timeframe when you did your transfer, assuming they did actually transfer you and not have you on the "planning to get to this transfer someday" pile) and back (assuming they did in fact bring you back and not attach post you back instead), and when you were officially released (and, given the low quality of Army Res F admin, that could also be years after the fact).

Do you have a copy of your MPRR? That would be step one, to check what was done in your transfers from P Res to Supp Res (or SHR, depending on the timeframe when you did your transfer, assuming they did actually transfer you and not have you on the "planning to get to this transfer someday" pile) and back (assuming they did in fact bring you back and not attach post you back instead), and when you were officially released (and, given the low quality of Army Res F admin, that could also be years after the fact).
No but my first move to sup reserve after 9yrs was clean. I have some documentation on that. I thought I was out for good. But two years later I got back in with another unit and did 2.5 yrs with the final year on class C. Then out for good - sup reserve till it then expired after usual 10yrs. So I know for certain I have 11 yrs total service. I know they rounded down with the gratuity.

When you say "I thought I was out for good" - do you mean you thought you had completely released? Were you "released" for a day or so and then "re-enrolled" into the Supp Res? Any one of a number of seemingly minor thins can be disqualifying.

For example - someone releasing from the military to the public service needs to have no interruption in order to maintain pay protection - even a day off in between will have them start at the lowest pay level even if their pay in the military was higher. Sometimes, even a minor thing can have significant, unfortunate, unintended consequences.

When you say "I thought I was out for good" - do you mean you thought you had completely released? Were you "released" for a day or so and then "re-enrolled" into the Supp Res? Any one of a number of seemingly minor thins can be disqualifying.

For example - someone releasing from the military to the public service needs to have no interruption in order to maintain pay protection - even a day off in between will have them start at the lowest pay level even if their pay in the military was higher. Sometimes, even a minor thing can have significant, unfortunate, unintended consequences.
Never worked for PS. Kept my tank when I got back in two years later. Just meant I was not in limbo land. It was very clear. 9 +2.5. Nothing weird or unusual while in or on between.

Back