• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

REST REL Date

Sideway3

Inactive
Reaction score
I was going through and updating my MPRR today and I noticed a new line stating:  REST REL Date: ** *** **
Before I go to my supervisors about this, I just want to make certain that this stands for 'restricted release date' - the day I'm eligible for a voluntary release.
I'm cautious as the date listed is about halfway through my VIE expiration date. For the past year or so I've decided that the CF isn't for me, but I kept it to myself because I thought I was stuck here until the end of my VIE. If anybody can confirm what REST REL Date means, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

A lot of people get confused about this (not least of all on this site).  Your engagement and obligatory service are two different things.  Everybody has obligatory service, but it is usually considerably shorter than your engagement (in your case VIE).  Obligatory service is essentially the time you owe the CF in exchange for your training.  It varies by occupation, but is generally 3-5 years.  Once you've completed your obligatory service, you can ask for and expect to be honourably released.  Keep in mind though that if you have not finished your engagement, you may be cutting yourself out of some significant release benefits (e.g. half vs full severance pay, curtailed or loss of relocation benefits, etc.), but there are no long-term life effects (eg. you can re-enroll later, still apply for other government jobs, etc).  You need to go in with your eyes open.  Check with your local Release Section for further details.

By the way, you can request release even if you haven't completed your obligatory service, but the chances of it being granted are considerably less unless there is a significant problem with you continuing.  The risk of there, however, is that this could affect the type of release  you get and that might have long-term detrimental effects (e.g. can't re-enroll, etc).

Back