• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

reserve infantry to reg force armoured

• Thread starter Thread starter Rad
  • Start date Start date

Rad

Inactive
Reaction score
Years ago my dad was a tank commander on the lynx with LdSH and my uncle was in the sabre sqn.  This obviously makes me keen to be a Royal Canadian.  I live in NF and just started BMQ with the Royal Newfoundland Regiment to be infantry while i finish high school and i was wondering if i joined reg force after school could i join up as a crewman instead of infantry and what the chances are of me getting over to Edmonton with the Strathconas.

Thanks for your help
-Ryan
:cdn:

I don't see any reason why not. I don't know if they could guarantee regiment, but no one is going to force you to go/stay infantry if when you decide to join/transfer to the Regs. Best bet is to talk to your local CFRF and or unit chain of command.

BTW when I was in 1st Bn RNFLDR one of our Sgts component transferred to the Rgs as a crewman in the RCDs.

so whatever regiment you get in the regs is completley by chance? no requests or preferences at all?

If I did it then you can too.  I was in the GGFG for 5 years while I was going to Carleton University.  Once I finished I was tired of drill and interested in something other than the infantry.  I went to Bosnia with the RCDs and liked the way they did things, so I applied for a CT to reg force armoured officer.  A year later my wish came true.  I'm hoping to go out West with the Strats as well, but it all comes down to where the CF needs people.  If the RCDs are light on the ground when you finish your training, then you can bet you're going to Petawawa.  They do ask for preferences and try to accomodate, but they can't work miracles.

Good luck with the transfer.  It'll take a while.

Dizzle

Rad said:
so whatever regiment you get in the regs is completley by chance? no requests or preferences at all?
Request all you like.  You're still going to Shilo and 2 PPCLI.  >:D

You can go Armoured the only thing is if you tranfer in from the reserves the only infantry gual that is any good to you is your basic. If you go armoured , when you do your dp1 in Gagetown after the course is when they decide were you are going. If its a course of 30 and the RCD's need 15 and the LDSH need 15 then chances are you might get to go were you want to go. but if the RCD's need the whole course then chances are you are going to Pet. You can ask to go were you want to go and they will try to make everyone happy but it all comes down to who needs numbers at the time.

GOOD LUCK
But if I were you I would go RCD.

If you want to go overseas ALOT....The RCD(the name is already pluralised) is the Regiment to go to.

Regards

ASLT TPR,

I removed your last post. PM inbound.

I suggest you fill me in as to who you are before coming on this site and insulting me.

I was not only talking to you but Dizzle. Others have also come onto this site and made the same mistake...unknowingly of course.

Regards

I went from 2 NSH to the Royal Canadian Dragoons way back and although things change over the years I don't think you would have too much trouble.

Franko said:
If you want to go overseas ALOT....The RCD(the name is already pluralised) is the Regiment to go to.

Regards

I would argue that if you don't want to go overseas "A LOT" do one of 2 things: 1) Don't join, or 2) Get posted to the Armour School (where many have never been overseas AT ALL). I am primarily ribbing Franko here, as all 3 of the current Armour Corps Regiments have done their fair share overseas, with the 12e RBC doing a (seemingly) disproportionately larger number of tours in the Balkans in the early 90's and then the Strats (first in in Kosovo and Afghanistan!! So there, Franko!!!) and RCD seemingly alternating forever with the RBC in Bosnia, and now Afghanistan. The RCD DID get to go to Somalia, granted, but I think WE would have cut a more dashing figure in the desert.

Full disclosure: I have been RCD (88-93), 8CH (93-96) and LdSH(RC) (96-present). Choose either of two sayings that I have:"Same dog, different leg" or "Same shit, different pile". I know of a few people who have been with all 4 Reg F regt's, and I'm sure they all say the same. It's only those that are "pure" (only worn one hat badge) that seem to think that "their" Regiment is better than the other's (sort of like people who say "their" town/province/country is The Best, but have never been anywhere else. You know who you are......). I will admit that there are certain "things" that I like about each particular Regiment (certain traditions, level of esprit de corps, work ethic, ability to 'think' differently, the way that the NCO's/officers treat their soldiers, amongst a few I can pull out of my ass at the moment), but because I am stupid enough to post my real name, and I still have a few years left, I won't say which attributes DON'T apply to particular Regiment's (particularly my current (and likely last) Regiment).

Suffice it to say, Regiments are only as good (or bad) as the soldier's (and officer's) who compose them. You could take the most storied and alleged "Best" Regiment , populate it completely with shit-pumps, and it doesn't become any more than the sum of it's parts. Resting on your laurels with how great you WERE, and not on how great you ARE (i.e. like many sports teams seem to do ..... I think we all know which particular team I am referring to) is just pathetic. Celebrate your units (or teams) past, but try to do your predessors proud by doing the right thing now......

Al

I agree with Al, it really doesn't matter what regt you belong to. The only really pros and cons are there location. LDSH Edmonton, RCD Petawawa, 12 RBC Valcartier. They all go over seas alot. At least everywhere but the school.Alot of my friends in are rebadging to go to a different place in there next posting. Thats a good thing about the school its easy to re badge.

Back