• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing vehicles and weapons info

"I was wondering if anyone had any info on some vehicles/weapons/equipment that the CF is replacing or removing and how it might affect the responsibilities to the UN and to Canadian soldiers?"

Is this a school project or something that you‘re trying to get information on?

I‘m a Yank civilian who is looking for info about Canadian weapons. I was wondering...
...Is the C3 just the term for the current Parker Hale or were there earlier models?
...What was the C-4? I can‘t find information on it anywhere.
...Was the C-5 the M1919A4 tripod-mounted MMG or was it the M1919A6 LMG with the bipod and stock?

The C-4 is think is a Gas Mask. The C3A1 is a Parker Hale with a new stock. The C-5 was tripod mounted. But guys in the Reserves used to buy kits from the US to convert them into LMG standard.

Thanks Argyll_Kurrgan; that cleared a lot of stuff up for me. However, I think the C4 Gasmask is like the C1 SMG: it was just the Nth model adopted of piece of equipment. (Now you know why I‘m having a hard time figuring out the system!) I can‘t find info on the C4 weapon on the internet anywhere!

C5 is both. Its a knife and the GPMG used before the C6. There are also 2 C3‘s. The Sniper Rifle and the 105 mm Howitzer. There are three C1‘s. The C1(A1) Rifle (FN FAL) the C1 105 mm Howitzer and the C1 SMG (Sterling). Also there is the C2 Light Support version of the FN FAL that was used before the C9 and the C2 Sight used in conjuntion with the C6 in the SF role and the Mortars. Pretty dumb to have 2 things with the same designation. But hey, that was back in the 50‘s when they were named.

:fifty: :gunner:

Actually the old GPMG, the M1919A4 tripod-mounted MMG was orginally designated C1 too.

IIRC it was the old .30 cal converted to 7.62mm
(new barrel, some other minor tweaks)and to be honest rather prone to misfeeds and jamming probably because of the calibre conversion. I actually remember seeing some that if the original markings could be bemieved were built in the 1940‘s.

Most were refitted in the 1980‘s with correction in the mechanism to deal with the problems noted. headspacing and timing became a little easier to do as well. There was also a new lined barrel that in theory was easier to clean too. The "new" GPMG was redesignated C5

I was wondering...did the Canadian Army ever use the BREN gun in the postwar years?
The British Army‘s conversions to 7.62mm were either done in Canada or used Canadian-made Nationalist China contract 7.92mm Mauser-chambered receivers altered to fire 7.62mm NATO.

I was wondering...
>When was the C3 rifle introduced?

>Before the introduction of the C3 rifle, did the Canadian Army use any other sniper weapon? Did it have a special designation?

Originally posted by Lammergier:
[qb] I was wondering...
>When was the C3 rifle introduced?

>Before the introduction of the C3 rifle, did the Canadian Army use any other sniper weapon? Did it have a special designation? [/qb]
According to this site the C3 was introduced in the 70s.
http://www2.sfu.ca/casr/101-c3a1.htm

With regard to your BREN gun question I know we used them in Korea and they were probably phased out the same time we got the FNC1 and C2.

C4 was probably never used incase people got it confused with the plastic explosive. Wait a minute. Explosives are a weapon...and its designated C4....so therefore we do have a weapon designated C4. There‘s your crazy logic answer.

:fifty: :gunner:

maybe this will help:
Small arms poster of the CF
http://www.eme421.com/misc/Poster2.pdf

Back