• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

reveng

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Totally agree. Modern naval warfare moves fast. In an environment where you are essentially tracking and shooting down each other's bullets speed is important.

Naval warfare is very much a come as you are situation. This is why you see navies focus on flexible GP classes, the Arleigh Burke being the most common. A loadout change for its VLS and a different helicopter/UAS embarked can completely change its role in a war.
I wonder, if naval warfare were to take place in 2021, what would the biggest lessons learned be? Would we keep designing ships and structuring fleets as we do now? Or perhaps smaller, but more numerous vessels? More nuclear powered vessels to support energy requirements of future capabilities? More emphasis on subs and other underwater systems?

Subs...it seems like their entire weapons loadout (or most of it) would be capable of offensive action. Not to mention utility in ASW, or as an ISR asset. In contrast, at least to me, it looks like a modern surface vessel dedicates much of its capabilities to defending itself and its surrounding vessels. So shouldn't a military want more subs, and fewer surface vessels?

Underway

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
I wonder, if naval warfare were to take place in 2021, what would the biggest lessons learned be? Would we keep designing ships and structuring fleets as we do now? Or perhaps smaller, but more numerous vessels? More nuclear powered vessels to support energy requirements of future capabilities? More emphasis on subs and other underwater systems?

Subs...it seems like their entire weapons loadout (or most of it) would be capable of offensive action. Not to mention utility in ASW, or as an ISR asset. In contrast, at least to me, it looks like a modern surface vessel dedicates much of its capabilities to defending itself and its surrounding vessels. So shouldn't a military want more subs, and fewer surface vessels?
Probably needs to be put into a new thread. If you start it, I will join in and speculate with you.

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score

It will be a short war with a lot of ships sunk on both sides and the rest heading back to port as everyone is out of missiles and there will be no reloads waiting for them. Then the subs have a field day as they will have at least one set of reloads per sub.

CBH99

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score

I'll wait until the new thread is posted before getting too much into it -- fantastic question for discussion btw, Reveng.

I've learned over the past year or so of following the various shipbuilding threads how little I knew about shipbuilding. As an Alberta guy, I can honestly say I hadn't given it much thought beyond the extreme basics of 'buying domestic vs buying foreign', and the cost difference between those. I can openly and humbly say, I didn't know anything about shipbuilding - and despite a year of eagerly reading and doing some interesting Youtube searches, probably don't know anything worth mentioning.

I imagine the same is going to apply to this question/thread :)