• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

Forgive me if this has been asked before but if say we do get nuke subs, and I realize that is a huge if. Would the vics be usable in a training role? Would it be cheaper to train Sailors on the vics then transfer them to the nuke boats. I realize some trades wouldn't transfer but a lot of trades would.
SSN-AUKUS isn't scheduled to put a new nuc in Australia's hands until the early 40's.... in 2034 the Victoria's will be as old as Ojibwa was when the museum opened at Port Burwell

Any concern that the publicly stated endurance of the SK subs is 1/3 less than the publicly stated endurance of the Vic's?
Nope. When you dig into the numbers they are apples and oranges. Are they submerged or snorkelling endurances? What is the use case for endurance (speed, on batteries, on fuel cell etc...). Also the endurance is listed for the KSS-III block 1, not the block 2 or 3 which are larger

Also its not the only submarine out there. Germany and Norway are build subs, Dutch are building soon, Japan is building, Spain also. If endurance is an issue then pick one that works.

SSN-AUKUS isn't scheduled to put a new nuc in Australia's hands until the early 40's.... in 2034 the Victoria's will be as old as Ojibwa was when the museum opened at Port Burwell
Agreed, and the whole concept of the SSN-AUKUS boats is crewing of the Virginia’s with split crews, then 100% Aussie crews. Given that model, I would think that if Canada was to join Pillar 1 of AUKUS (the SSN’s) that the same arrangement could be make for both Virginia and/or AUKUS boats.

Anduril Industries is announcing a new manufacturing facility to support large-scale production of its Dive-LD family of autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs) at Quonset Point, Rhode Island. By investing in a scaled production facility ahead of need, Anduril will be able to stay ahead of customer demand and deliver on orders with unprecedented speed.

AUVs are transforming maritime deterrence by providing an affordable, distributed, and adaptable undersea capability that complements the U.S. and allied submarine fleet. Developing, manufacturing, and fielding these systems at scale on an operationally-relevant timeline will be critical. The 100,000-150,000 square foot production facility will enable Anduril to immediately increase production capacity for its Dive-LD family of AUVs to more than 200 hulls per year. Anduril plans to create more than 100 jobs within five years of the facility opening in 2025.

Earlier this year, Anduril unveiled the first prototype Ghost Shark extra-large autonomous undersea vehicle, developed and delivered ahead of schedule and on-budget at its Sydney, Australia location in partnership with the Royal Australian Navy,

long-range, autonomous undersea capabilities, the Dive family of AUVs has emerged as the leading solution for a variety of missions, including operational preparation of the environment, surveillance and reconnaissance, mine warfare, subsea and seabed warfare, seafloor mapping, and more.

Ghost Shark operated in conjunction with ADV Guidance

1718726564369.png
1718726611352.png

Anduril Dive-LD

3D Printing of long range, multi-role autonomous vehicles

Back