• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Remembrance Day

matthew709

Inactive
Reaction score
happy veterans day to all our Canadian veterans! I have so much respect and appreciation for all members of the Canadian forces and I will be one soon :cdn: :salute: :yellow:

I guess ~ I hope, really ~ that you're an American.

We don't have a Veterans' Day in Canada, and what we "celebrate,"* today, is Remembrance Day, and it is nothing about which there is any reason to be happy.

_____
* I use that term in its religious sense.

If, as you suggest, you want to be in the CF you will discover that we value people who can express themselves accurately, briefly and clearly. Perhaps, if you cannot say what you think, your should a) reconsider your career choices - may burger flipping is more your speed; or b) pay a whole lot more attention in junior high school.

You can change my (low) opinion of you by telling us what you do mean.

You know we are bleeding people like crazy here. Somehow equating his lack of military ethos knowledge with his career choices is un-helpful at best.  Your future pension payment depend partially on current enlistments and seriously there is huge pool of military ethos qualified teenagers out there.  No prospect should meet a scathing rebuke on his first contact with the military.

Matthew

Thank you.  As stated it is Remembrance Day and it is an act of remembrance.  Once you are a part of us you understand.  Good luck!

Lightguns said:
You know we are bleeding people like crazy here. Somehow equating his lack of military ethos knowledge with his career choices is un-helpful at best.  Your future pension payment depend partially on current enlistments and seriously there is huge pool of military ethos qualified teenagers out there.  No prospect should meet a scathing rebuke on his first contact with the military.

Matthew

Thank you.  As stated it is Remembrance Day and it is an act of remembrance.  Once you are a part of us you understand.  Good luck!

I disagree, respectfully. I understand your sympathy for a young person who makes a silly mistake, but I think it is misplaced.

Thinking before speaking is a pretty fundamental skill. He should learn to do it.

I meant happy veterans day in the way of its a time to remember and show appreciation to our veterans. Not like woohoo! army yea!! like some child.. Its not so much a celebratory occasion as it is a solam one but that doesn't mean you can't be proud and have some positive aspect too it.

matthew709 said:
E.R, me "misspeaking" isn't the same as you misunderstanding.

:facepalm:

Just stop. Please.

matthew709 said:
I meant happy veterans day in the way of its a time to remember and show appreciation to our veterans. Not like woohoo! army yea!! like some child.. Its not so much a celebratory occasion as it is a solam one but that doesn't mean you can't be proud and have some positive aspect too it.

You should have learned in school that today is not about veterans at all. It is about the fallen, those who didn't make it home. Not slapping every dude/dudette in uniform on the back in an attempt to join the SOT bandwagon.

Towards_the_gap said:
You should have learned in school that today is not about veterans at all. It is about the fallen, those who didn't make it home. Not slapping every dude/dudette in uniform on the back in an attempt to join the SOT bandwagon.

Perhaps that is why the "White Poppy" crowd of university students have their misunderstanding of the day.

Perhaps this thread can be re-titled for anyone wanting to pay their respects?

Best wishes to all veterans on this forum for Remembrance Day.

And best wishes for US Veterans' Day to all our American veteran friends.

Thank you for your service.

I've just returned from my local Remembrance Day service.  While the crowd was not too bad, I did notice that there were no Second World War veterans in attendance.  The few I do know here are not in the best of health now and I suppose I won't see many if any of the old guard in future services.  It saddens me to think of how fast they're slipping away nowadays.
* and not one white poppy or idiot in sight...

jollyjacktar you are right there seems to to be less and less WWII vets every year. There was only 1 Down in Lunenburg last year and he said the only reason he was out was because the weather was so warm. My Dad hasn't gone to one in may years for the same reason.

My dad's been gone for 28 years now.  It would have been his 100th birthday last Monday.  Every day in the Chronicle Herald I see a veteran or two or three in the obits it seems.

Went to the Ceremony at the Dartmouth Cenotaph, easily a few thousand people standing out in the raw wind coming off the harbour, lots of current service members, and a fair number of veterans. Parking was a interesting, i had to park probably about 1-1.5 kilometers from the cenotaph, and quick march to beat/keep up the parade. Wish i would have snapped some pics.

some video from singing of O Canada http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Raw+Video/ID/2417213956/
photo of the cenotaph http://flic.kr/p/hstWbx

This year I got to go to my daughter's school here in the NCR as a 'guest of honour' as they were looking for any serving members to show up.  Haven't done anything deserving of the title, but my six year old was pretty thrilled and the kids in general were really happy to have some sailors and airmen on site (happened to be only navy and airforce there) so would do it again.

I think it was probably a lot more meaningful for the kids then the cenotaph ceremonies, as they put a lot of work into the preparations for it.  Still not quite the same, but if nothing else it was a good reminder why I joined, as a lot of kids don't have the opportunity to safely go to school.

Was lucky enough to have an opportunity to visit a number of the military cemeteries in Europe while I was over there.  At the time I was 28, but still had a decade on most of the guys.  Would highly recommend it to anyone who gets the opportunity to see them, for me it really puts Remembrance Day in perspective as to the scope of the sacrifice people have made, and continue to make.

3689705660_77c138fec8_b.jpg

(Tyne Cot cemetary, home to 11,956 Commonwealth servicemen of the First World War)

Lest We Forget

For "Armistice" Day I first went to Mons for the noon ceremony;  Canada liberated Mons 11 Nov 1918 so I think its a good enough place to be... Strange they do it at noon though.  Then my son and I drove up to the Museum in Paschendale, it has some good displays.  We passed Polygon Wood and Sanctuary Wood before stopping at Mt Sorel.  We then passed Hooge Crater and Hellfire Corner and had supper on the square in Ypres.  We intended to attend the nightly Last Post at 8pm at Menin Gate, but he was tired so we left our poppies there and headed home.

Didn't go to Tyne Cot, but I was there a couple of months ago when I biked up.

It is sad that each year we have fewer and fewer WWII veterans.  WWII ended almost 70 years ago....so time unfortunately is catching up.  My Grandfather and 3 of my Great Uncles served in WWII.  1 of my Great Uncles was shot down and is buried in Holland.  Even though I was not on parade this year....I still attended the parade in Manotick.  It is important for me to instill the values of why we remember the fallen and their sacrifices and why we attend the ceremonies to my children. 

S.M.A. said:
Thank you for your service.

Sorry, not to nitpick, but you're missing my point. Rememberance Day has feck all to do with my or anyone elses service, it is about the fallen from wars and overseas operations, and ensuring that the memory of their sacrifice ensures. That's it. Save the thanks for Red Fridays.

Back