• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

red ring of death..

canada94

Inactive
Reaction score
My xbox just got the red ring of death. Totally sucks A$$ and I was wondering if anyone else had to go through this crap.

Mike

the 48th regulator said:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Fixing-Xbox-360-Red-Ring-Of-Death

They won't fix my xbox :( they're telling me I am flagged :S and that I modded my xbox?! Which I don't understand because I didn't. Whatever hopefully everything gets sorted.

I got my Xbox 360 on launch day (Nov 2005?). It got the Red Ring on Jan 2006, and had another incident not too long afterwords. Since then I haven't had any issues.

I do plan on getting myself the newer model sometime in the future, so I won't need to worry about the RRoD once that happens.

crooks.a said:
I got my Xbox 360 on launch day (Nov 2005?). It got the Red Ring on Jan 2006, and had another incident not too long afterwords. Since then I haven't had any issues.

I do plan on getting myself the newer model sometime in the future, so I won't need to worry about the RRoD once that happens.

Maybe I should just update to the new one? Is it a lot more expensive?

I've experienced the RROD once my XBox was no longer in warranty.  I ended up getting another XBox, bowing to pressure from the younger users in the family.

The solution to the RROD problem, IMO, is to get a PS3 system.  Better graphics, minimal lag during action-heavy sequences, and also plays Blu-Ray discs.  The repair techs that I've spoken to noted that the build quality of the PS3 is much superior to the XBox 360s, but, take this for what it's worth.  I have both the 360 and the PS3, and would buy another Sony product before shelling out the cash for the Microsoft one.  The new Kinect system for Xbox may be a deciding factor for some, YMMV.

I had the red ring of of death on  my Xbox360 way back in 2007 . Thankfully I had purchased the in store warranty at EB games , they replaced it no problems at all .  Sense than I haven't had any issues .
              If I where you I would go with a PS 3 I think it is a much better machine and I wish I had bought the PS3  first just for the reason that they don't seem to have those  problems on there PS 3 machines plus you get a Blue Ray player to .

Funnily enough, I have the red light of death on my PS3 right now. Looks like I'm going to have to buy a new one. I guess spending days and days doing professional development, I mean playing MW2, was probably a bad idea.

PS3? EWWWWW. I think I'm going to get the new Xbox 4g or whatever, seems like black ops will run fine on that (did i mention I bought the freaking game tonight and can't play it thanks to my piece of **** xbox.

My first one RROD last year, the fact that it was a 2005 model and lasted that long is a miracle. Bought myself the new slim model and I must say it runs like a dream. They've fixed the cooling issues, but it will make a small room considerably warmer (the exhaust vent feels like a the back end of an Abrams. Oddly enough it has a much cooler interior temperature than the old models).

I highly recommend getting one. The fact that you can install all your games on it (250GB HDD) saves it from much of the wear and tear the Xbox was plagued with before. Installing also makes it literally soundless.

I also have a PS3, but the second it breaks it's going in the trash. I wont pay the $90 to get it fixed and I wont go out and get another one. Right now mine sounds like a vacuum cleaner, but that just may be me being too use to the silent Xbox.

In my experience, the only real difference between the two in terms of failures is the color of the error lights they give you.

Both of the first-generation offerings were shoddy.

I never realized that the PS3 had problems to guess just me ignorance in not knowing the product but for now nock on wood my Xbox 360 is running like a champ for three years now . Oh and  to the person who wanted to play  " Black Ops " hopefully you can do so real soon its a sweet game .

canada94 said:
Maybe I should just update to the new one? Is it a lot more expensive?
It depends, really. If you want Kinect, then I think it's in the range of $400. You may be able to get a new model without Kinect for under $300.

Now if you aren't a hardcore gamer, then I wouldn't bother with buying the new one. Personally, I only play video games in social settings these days, so I don't plan to purchase the new system, but if I still played video games a lot then I would probably buy it.

The fact that the new Xbox is so much quieter, safer, and energy efficient might be a selling point for me, though. I'm not a fan of having to crank the volume on my TV because the fans are working overtime.

ouch dam rings eh

well oddly enough I went in on Tuesday to trade my old white one in for a new black one, and because it was the CoD:BO launch day they had massive discounts going on, and they have a deal ruining till Friday where you get a free game if you trade in an old one for a new one, so I went in with 3 trade in games(also if the trade in game is worth more then $8 you get a 25$ discount towards your new console per game as well) and you get money for any old Hard-drives from them as well(I have 2 because I got a 120gb last year so I had a 20gb one not used), just make sure you dont take one in with all your data on it. moving on, so I went in and took a 250gb 360 Slim ($299) and I got a free game, Splinter cell conviction(their choice not mien) ($69.66) then COD:BO($79.99) also a new Gamestop HDMI cable ($29.99) and a hard drive transfer cable (free but marked at $20)  A 550$ combined value with HST and I only paid $306,

I dont know how long some of the trade in values are lasting, if I understood correctly it is until the end of the month, so if you want a new xbox and have a functioning old one phone up your local GameStop or Eb games and see if they have it

I bought my first 360 about 3 years ago. After a year or so it got RROD. However, Me and my wife had been posted to Italy so I was a bit pissed, thinking I'd be screrwed. As it turns out, after talking with Microsoft, they extended the 1 year warranty to 3 years and I could get it fixed if I paid shipping.... well I haven't done it yet (Italy remember.... shipping = $$$) But bought a new one for half of what I paid for the first.

All that said, Is your a 4 light RROD or a 3 light RROD? Different lights mean different things:

http://editorials.teamxbox.com/xbox/1651/The-Red-Ring-of-Death/p1/

Also, You can fix it yourself if you know a bit about electronics. I DL'd a repair PDF... I think I still have it somewhere. Good pictures and step by step guide. Apparently RROD is mainly due to Motherboard issues: the solder holding the chips in place gets soft and when the Motherboard heats up it warps, making the connections where the solder is too soft lose continuity. Th fix is basically installing washers on the M-board mounts to stabalize the board properly (like Microsoft should have done in the first place). :

http://www.xbox360repair.ca/redringofdeath7.html

I have a PDF very similar to this guide, so let me know if you want it and I'll try to find it and send it to you.

I called my local gamestop; 200 buck's for a 4G new xbox so I'm just gonna get that !

But wow that one deal someone said, good for you lmfao

HavokFour said:
You'll need a hammer and a jar of peanut butter.

Ok, so I have a hammer AND a jar of peanut butter. Now what?

jeffb said:
Ok, so I have a hammer AND a jar of peanut butter. Now what?

Turn on the PS3 and smear the peanut butter into the back vents. Put in any game, then start hitting the center of the console with the hammer with medium force. This should bring up a menu up on the screen which will guide you through the repair process.

Back