• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruiting Posters, Slogans and Commercials [Merged]

I mentioned the increased promos to my interviewer, and she said something about fiscal year and budgets.

Pat in Halifax said:
Yes and the two most 'in demand' trades (from an operational perspective) in the CAF right now; Marine Engineer and Electrical Technician get a whole 4 seconds in the latest ad.....

Well, 4/30 = 13%.  With about 100 occupations in the CAF, they're grossly over represented ;)

All the money the GoC blows on commercials, such as the 1812 garbage, and practically SFA about the 50th of the Maple Leaf.  That burns my butt.

I do believe that those commercials have been in the works for almost 12 months now, if not longer.  It's a regular advertising cycle and nothing special.

The Marketting budget is probably rather thin, so they have to pick and choose which method(s) will have the most impact.  TV chews up $$$ really quick.

Pat in Halifax said:
Yes and the two most 'in demand' trades (from an operational perspective) in the CAF right now; Marine Engineer and Electrical Technician get a whole 4 seconds in the latest ad.....

Four seconds is a long time in the advertising world and it's a lot more time then most other trades, in demand or not, got.  They are CAF commercials, not specific trade commercials.  I'm just glad to see them period.  They are quite well done.

DAA said:
I do believe that those commercials have been in the works for almost 12 months now, if not longer.  It's a regular advertising cycle and nothing special.

Isn't a lot of that footage from exercises in Petawawa in November?

Schindler's Lift said:
Four seconds is a long time in the advertising world and it's a lot more time then most other trades, in demand or not, got.  They are CAF commercials, not specific trade commercials.  I'm just glad to see them period.  They are quite well done.
Showing a ship for 4 seconds is NOT trade specific.

Yes there is a new commercial that was in the works last year. There are 15/30/60 second version of the same commercial i believe. Some for TV and some for theatres. I think they'll lame personally.

Pat in Halifax said:
Showing a ship for 4 seconds is NOT trade specific.

They're CAF commercials. If the RCN is having an issue, pony up some dough and make your own commercials? Sigs posted members to a Signals Attraction team that toured around doing Sigs-specific recruiting to help boost numbers. The CFRG has to sell over 100 trades, regardless of PML status or your perceived operational importance. They make a commercial that gets someone in the door of a recruiting center, and then show them the high demand trades.

aside from the two trades mentioned by Pay in Halifax, what trades are currently most "in demand"?

PuckChaser said:
They're CAF commercials. If the RCN is having an issue, pony up some dough and make your own commercials? Sigs posted members to a Signals Attraction team that toured around doing Sigs-specific recruiting to help boost numbers. The CFRG has to sell over 100 trades, regardless of PML status or your perceived operational importance. They make a commercial that gets someone in the door of a recruiting center, and then show them the high demand trades.
I was only making an observation on a topic raised by someone and no, I wont 'pony up money' for recruiting no more than CFRG should be expected  to 'pony up' $100K for some 3GP 357.
I have also talked to some in Recruiting and echo what is being said; these TV ads eat up a whole lot of $$$. I suspect the 30 second bits in the theatres are pretty pricey too. I think technology has killed recruiting. I signed on the dotted line 19 Jun 82, was sworn in the 23rd and on a flight to Greenwood for Cornwallis on the 26th. It now takes months vice days because of the levels of checks and balances and oversights and things getting 'lost'. The Sgt/PO2's judgement in the Recruiting Centre should be trusted-I think part of the reason is people are giving up on the process-I know of several who have. The Recruiters here are not the ones responsible-I am sure they do their best but the system, for a lack of better terms, is a clusterf*** and until it gets fixed, we are going to have distressed trades.

Pat

PuckChaser said:

Advertising isn't done by the recruiting group.  It's done by the Public Affairs group.

And the system is being reformed.  All applications are now sorted and managed nationally; there are no more regional allocations of positions for occupations.  There are other changes ongoing in the recruiting system behind the scenes as well.  Sometimes, however, it takes time to make change.

But CFRG has their own Marketing Department. I only know this because I am working with a Major there to try to push a few recruiting ideas out. I would have thought a Marketing department would have been responsible for ...marketing. Besides, Public Affairs doesn't give us any oil either !

I have heard changes were coming.

I remember in HS recruiters use to come about once a month...and I lived a pretty 'out of the way' community in no man's land between Barrie and Ottawa. As I am typing, said "Canadian Army Ad" is on TV. (That is what a friend on FB called it-She said "You watch that and you wouldn't know Canada has a Navy and AirForce.")

dapaterson said:
Advertising isn't done by the recruiting group.  It's done by the Public Affairs group.

Things may have changed but CFRG had its own advertising cell.  Public affairs were not involved. Not sure if that's still the case.

I'm positive there's no shortage of fighter pilot applicants coming through the door, yet there's a nice clip of a cf-18. It's an all-arms commercial to get people in the door. You're just creating controversy where there is none.

First of all let me say that I think the ads are well done. Many of you may not have known the 1970's to 1980's era ads where you wondered if the military was actually a fighting force or a group of office workers. They were not martial nor inspirational.

Second of all, I am pretty sure that there is always an increase in CF advertisement in the January-February-March period every year. A budget issue? Possibly, but I personally believe it has more to do with the school cycle. About the same time, you have a whole bunch of students that now realize that in three to four months, they will have graduated and are asking themselves for the first time: Now what? You  want to get as many of these through the door of the recruiting centre now, as their first choice, rather than get only the ones still unable to find work six months later and joining as a "last" resort.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
First of all let me say that I think the ads are well done. Many of you may not have known the 1970's to 1980's era ads where you wondered if the military was actually a fighting force or a group of office workers. They were not martial nor inspirational.

There indeed was no life like it!  :nod:

Those commercials were aimed at people who either wanted to jet setters (the smiling guy coming down the stairs of the Boeing with only a lone suitcase) or compare big bushy moustaches in a darkened room deep in the bowels of a ship somewhere.

G2G

And recruiting was lousy and the system explained it as young Canadians not being interested in the military. Finally the recruiting system reluctantly agreed to air a commercial showing troops wading through a swamp. Contrary to the predictions that it would kill recruiting, kids started coming through the door.

Are these new ads online anywhere? I don't own a television, and all I can find are the 2006-08 ones.

Back