• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Rank inflation/appointments/ranking above one's weight (split from CDS promos)

Old Sweat said:
A link to their website was recently circulated on our regimental net.
http://www.reserves2000.org/

I see not much has changed, although one hopes the thuggery has stopped. Their list of "issues" is a grab bag of ill-defined (but perennial) gripes that might have some value if explained in a logical and coherent manner, but instead are defined at the bumper-sticker intellectual level.

Just as they were years ago, these people are still pining for an imaginary past (I was in the Militia in the 1970's: I know how "good" the "good old days" actually were). The constant use of the term "Militia" reinforces this point of view. Unfortunately, to most Canadians today "Militia" probably means a nasty gang of armed rabble fighting in a dirty  little war somewhere. "Army Reserve" is more likely to convey an accurate and useful mental image, but then that would require these people to accept that the reserve organization is actually part of the Army and subject to its chain of command, as opposed to a loosely affiliated group that does what it wants, but somehow still gets money from the Government.

Naturally, their latest "communique" hails the return of pips and crowns, former service titles and the redesignation of the LFAs as "Divisions", since these trappings are necessary parts of their World That Never Was.

IMHO these people are the mirror image of those idiotic "reserve haters" one finds in the Regular Army. They need each other to survive.

PBI

We also wanted to amalgamate our three feeble and struggling Service Battalions: this had general consensus but never happened when I was there.

Unless the words amalgamate and tactically grouped are being used interchangeably, you were there when it happened.

I would not go so far as to say 17 and 18 Svc Bns were feeble and struggling.  Sure, some command ability problems. !8 (TB) Svc Bn fits the F & S.

BUT, the main reason for the struggling was CSS trades training, the lack there of.

Part 1 to 4: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/112930/post-1271507.html#msg1271507art

recceguy said:
Can mortars fire flaming bags of crap?

Sure, I bet they could make that happen... I wouldn't want to be the foo though. Puts a new meaning on "splash"

Rifleman62 said:
PBI

Unless the words amalgamate and tactically grouped are being used interchangeably, you were there when it happened.

I would not go so far as to say 17 and 18 Svc Bns were feeble and struggling.  Sure, some command ability problems. !8 (TB) Svc Bn fits the F & S.

BUT, the main reason for the struggling was CSS trades training, the lack there of.

Part 1 to 4: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/112930/post-1271507.html#msg1271507art

I left in 2005. I don't recall anything significant happening on the Svc Bn front, but as you were the CO in Wpg, I defer to your memory of the facts.

My recollection of the Svc Bns was that SK and NW ON were struggling (the Det Coy in Toontown was parading more than the parent unit in Regina), but I do remember that under your leadership Wpg was doing OK. I would not have called any of the three units "vibrant".

I agree fully with your view of the hopeless approach the CSS world was taking toward Res CSS trg. It was almost as if somebody wanted the Res units to fizzle out. The endless and very ridiculous struggle over the operation of the HLVW wrecker comes to mind.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
Sure, I bet they could make that happen... I wouldn't want to be the foo though. Puts a new meaning on "splash"

You may have to change the title of the FOO to POO.

Container said:
Oh? The combat arms trades aren't as heavy with the politics? Since getting back in, and in arty,I'm very surprised by the emphasis of networking and politicking. I'm not here to change everything. It's just a new ball of wax and thought I was on my own.

I wasn't attempting to say that the other arms dont have their politics, simply staying in my lane. But yes, arty is heavy on politicking and networking. I presume the other trades are the same, but as I mentioned, have no real basis for that. On the other hand,I always enjoyed working in HQs as being around other trades took away the arty politics, which was nice.

pbi said:
Just as they were years ago, these people are still pining for an imaginary past (I was in the Militia in the 1970's: I know how "good" the "good old days" actually were). The constant use of the term "Militia" reinforces this point of view.
pbi, like you, I served as a militiaman in the 70's.  The last thing I would do is pine for the "good ole days".  I'm proud to say that I am a member of Canada's Army Reserve while at the same time retaining and perpetuating those Militia customs and traditions that are still relevant today.

pbi said:
IMHO these people are the mirror image of those idiotic "reserve haters" one finds in the Regular Army. They need each other to survive.
  Sadly, in my experience, many of those "reserve haters" are former Reservists themselves, many seeking to ingratiate themselves with their new "professional" brethren.

Sadly, in my experience, many of those "reserve haters" are former Reservists themselves, many seeking to ingratiate themselves with their new "professional" brethren

Yes, I met a few of these over the years. One RegF officer I knew served in the same Res unit as I did, but was absolutely death on ever mentioning it. IMHO this was worse in the 80s and early 90's than it is now, but no doubt these folks are still around.

They need somebody to feel "better than".

Infanteer said:
Yet another reason we need to invigorate the rank of 2Lt and Lt in the Army, but I digress....
I keep coming back to the Duffle Blog headline: "Captain Charged With Manslaughter After Leaving Lieutenant Unattended In Parked Car"

;)

Back