• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Proper Tourniquet Application

That part of why I asked, because it apparently WAS an official CF policy. I was informed of this first in 1996 by the man who at that tiem was head of military St. Johns training for BC.  It was the first I'd heard of it.  As a qualified instructor i was forbiden to teach application of tourniquets and was to onofmr students that they were not allowed to aplplya toruniquet.  However, after sveral incidents of life-threatening injuries in Bosnia I though a silly thing like that would have been eliminated, but no, again in 2001 senior officers were still saying it was against CF policies (in other words it wasnt a queen's reg, but it was a policy that was enforceable). 

I think such a ruling is ridiculous and as of 2005 I know the policy has still not been rescinded in domestic operations.  So Im still wondering, are our boys still being told not to and then the policy-makers turn a blind eye? This does not solve the problem!

Let me rephrase..I am not aware of any official CFMG policy against the use of tourniquets, nor am I aware of any official CF policy IRT the use or nonuse of tourniquets.
I believe that was a St Johns ambulance policy to not teach it, not a military one. As FAIs, they would have to follow the guidelines set down by the regulating agency. I remember having to teach avoiding using TK when we instructed predeployment FA tng, but I do not recall ever hearing it was a CF policy.

I am certain (as I just showed the MND how tourniquets are taught and used) that currently there would be no problem with the proper use of a TK in military medicine, esp in an operational environment like Afghanistan.

Gotcha, thats what I was trying to figure out... if you show the MND thats pretty much a 'blessing through precedent'.

Illegal to teach tourniquets??!!  I`ve been an instructor since 1992 and a FAIT for 3 years and have never seen hide nor hair of anything in the militray first aid manual about it being something that is not allowed to be taught.  Nor have I seen any regulations prohibiting there use in the military.  They were however always taught as a last resort - some people wouldn`t teach them because they thought that, since it was a last resort, they didn`t need to be taught.  In fact, I used to teach them as a first resort when dealing with mass cas situations as a quick fix for a bad bleed when there are other casualties around that need tending to.

Whoever told you it was categorically illegal was smoking something that should be shared with the rest of us so that we`re on the same wave length.

MM

medicineman said:
Illegal to teach tourniquets??!!  I`ve been an instructor since 1992 and a FAIT for 3 years and have never seen hide nor hair of anything in the militray first aid manual about it being something that is not allowed to be taught.  Nor have I seen any regulations prohibiting there use in the military.  They were however always taught as a last resort - some people wouldn`t teach them because they thought that, since it was a last resort, they didn`t need to be taught.  In fact, I used to teach them as a first resort when dealing with mass cas situations as a quick fix for a bad bleed when there are other casualties around that need tending to.

Whoever told you it was categorically illegal was smoking something that should be shared with the rest of us so that we`re on the same wave length.

MM

When a tourniquet is "properly" applied, (im not positive anymore on how that is anyway) is it most times that you will lose the limb? Or am I under the wrong impression.... I always thought if you had to apply a tourniquet you had like a 90% chance of losing the limb.

If the TK is left on too long and no reperfusion has been attempted, it`s a probability.  However, they are often left on in surgery for some time without untoward effects to keep surgical fields clear of blood.  The general rule of thumb is longer than 6 hours, you`ll end up losing tissue below the site.

MM

Let me put some perspective on the loss of limb thoughts that prevent the use of TKs.

When you apply a tourniquet it is to save life. People who bleed (as little as 1 L) go into hypovolemic or hemorrhagic shock and DIE if the bleeding is not stopped. It takes 5-10 mins for clotting with direct pressure. The Femoral Artery in your upper leg bleeds out at 1 L/min, the Brachial Artery in your upper arm, .75 L/min. You have an average of 5L of blood in your body...do the math.

Stop Bleeding. Prevent Shock. Keep your buddy alive.

Would you like have your buddy alive and be able to kick your ass with his one good leg, or would you rather go to his funeral?

Think about it.

Well said Ash....straight and to the point as always.

Thanks for keeping this thread on topic.    ;)

Regards

Let's not forget who started this thread, one of the best current threads in the whole forum, and maybe put up with a little to get a lot, instead of being so...petty is a bit much ,but keeps coming to mind... thanks all for the posts to now, although I could do without most of pg 3

Back