• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Proof of ownership of house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I have heard of the Marital Property Act.  In fact, I studied it at while at law school at UNB. 

The fact of the matter is that you do not have legal title to the home.  You definitely have an argument for beneficial title but you don't have legal title.  I could drone on at great length about equity and the difference between legal and beneficial title but suffice it to say that you are trying to prove LEGAL title to the property. 

The Marital Property Act provides a legal remedy for spouses who do not have legal title to the family home.  It does not give them legal title to the home.  Upon application, a court will in all likelihood grant legal title to the marital home to the spouse who is not named in the deed.  But until then LEGAL title is held by the individual named in the deed.

If you are not named in the deed, just go see a lawyer and get your name on the deed.  It is that easy.  It can't be done for Monday, though.  And I do recommend that you do this.  It could save you thousands of dollars in legal bills in the future.

You will note that I didn't say your story didn't make sense.  I said it didn't make 'legal' sense.... and it doesn't.  By the way, you came here looking for advice.  So far, because of the unique situation in which you have structured your personal dealings, you have not been able to find a solution to your problem.  You need to prove legal title to a property which as far as I can discern, you don't have.  You probably shouldn't get your knickers in a twist when someone explains to you why you aren't able to prove it.   

Lol, my knicker's aren't in a twist, I'm a bit bemused that's it's gotten so involved. I also didn't want to clutter the thread with stuff that has no bearing on the subject at hand.
Now I edited my first post to try and end any confusion, but perhaps I should have just made a new post. I'm not trying to prove that I have legal title to a house. Just that we (my husband and I) have one. I assumed that would be understood as I stated my reason for wanting the proof in my first post.

The title of your thread is "Proof of ownership of house".  You state in your first post you need to prove ownership. 

Ownership = Legal title

neko said:
Lol, my knicker's aren't in a twist, I'm a bit bemused that's it's gotten so involved. I also didn't want to clutter the thread with stuff that has no bearing on the subject at hand.
Now I edited my first post to try and end any confusion, but perhaps I should have just made a new post. I'm not trying to prove that I have legal title to a house. Just that we (my husband and I) have one. I assumed that would be understood as I stated my reason for wanting the proof in my first post.

As I indicated before, your tax bill should suffice.  But from what you have stated here, it only demonstrates that your husband owns a house.  Not you. But I suspect for military purposes,  it will be sufficient.

MADELEINE said:
The title of your thread is "Proof of ownership of house".  You state in your first post you need to prove ownership. 

Ownership = Legal title

Yes I did say owning it, that was opposed to having a lease or rental agreement.  I said what I was needing the paper for, namely so I'm not charged for quarters. I never imagined that anyone would assume that I was trying to prove that I had legal title. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding but I thought it was clear that I was looking to show that we have a house.

MADELEINE said:
A residential tax bill should suffice.

I agree.  The tax bill should also identify the address and current ownership of the residence at the very least.  If they require further proof they should identify what exactly it is that they need.

Just so everyone knows Kincanucks came by and got me sorted out so I'm good to go.

Neko,
  Your tax bill is fine even if it is your husband's name. It shows your current residential address that matches your application.  You may also have to provide either a marriage certificate or a statement of "common law" relationship that will connect you to the house. I'm not a clerk but having seen recruiting paperwork a lot.

Good Luck with your career.

neko said:
Just so everyone knows Kincanucks came by and got me sorted out so I'm good to go.

No need for this to continue then.

Thanks everyone.

The Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back