• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Profile on Brig Gen David Fraser in today's Toronto Star

Maritime_Matt

Inactive
Reaction score
Our man in Afghanistan
He'll command multinational brigade
Believes U.S. has `trust in our abilities'
Nov. 11, 2005. 06:19 AM
BILL TAYLOR
FEATURE WRITER

EDMONTONâ ”With his thinning, sandy hair, less-than-bulky build and master's degree, David Fraser could be an academic. With his firm handshake and a glint of almost missionary zeal in his dark eyes, he could be a muscular Christian, out to spread the good word. If it weren't for his camouflage fatigues.

This is Canada's next warrior chieftain, the man who will lead the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry back into battle; a campaign likely to bring Remembrance Day jarringly up-to-date. This time next year, we can expect to be observing two minutes' silence for the fallen heroes of Kandahar.

Fraser, newly promoted to brigadier-general, has just been named commander of an elite multi-national brigade, including between 1,600 and 2,200 Canadians and more than 4,000 British and U.S. troops. There's the possibility of Dutch and Australian participation, too, as they go after Al Qaeda, the Taliban, drug warlords and bandits in southern Afghanistan.

For once, this isn't a peacekeeping mission. When he goes there in February, he'll be at the head of a fighting force, aggressively pursuing these fast-moving private armies who work together when it suits them in a region that Fraser says is probably bigger than Ontario, "with everything â ” mountains, desert, rivers, urban areas. It has heat, it has cold. Up to 40 Celsius in summer, minus 20 in the mountains in winter. The environment is particularly hostile."

"When we identify the enemy, we will work with the Afghan army to take them out," Col. Steve Noonan, current commander of Canada's military presence in Afghanistan, told the Ottawa Citizen. "Our goal will be to kill or capture those elements."

As Defence Minister Bill Graham and Gen. Rick Hillier, Chief of Defence Staff, have been saying for months, "those elements" are well-organized, at home in the harsh terrain and eager to fight back. Graham and Hillier are trying to prepare us for our soldiers being shipped home in body bags; for possibly the biggest loss of life since the Korean War more than half a century ago, when 516 Canadians died. "Canadians perhaps do not yet have a full understanding of what we are getting into," Noonan said. "It is only fair to tell Canadians that this is dangerous stuff and that people may be killed."

The man who will lead them is 47, a military brat who thinks of Ottawa as his hometown. He drives a black Honda and has a wife and two teenage sons, who he'd rather keep out of the conversation, and a dog Seiko, "who has to be reintroduced to me every time I go home."

Fraser has a bachelor's degree in psychology and political science and a master's in defence management and policy. He joined the army in 1980 and is a combat veteran. He's served in Bosnia twice, Iraq and Cyprus. He knows what it's like to call a woman and tell her her husband or her son is dead.

"It's about the worst thing you ever have to do," he says over coffee in the officers' mess.

Fraser's command will last nine months. Defence analyst John Pike is, if not cynical then skeptical, given Canada's record of "peacekeeping, not peacemaking ... I wouldn't go so far as to say it's unusual but it's certainly noteworthy" that America is giving him control of U.S. troops.

The Pentagon has "obviously got some confidence in this guy," says Pike, director of Washington-based GlobalSecurity.org.

"But North American relations over Iraq are so sour right now, both countries are looking for some way to make nice. I can easily imagine the deal was that Canada would come in on this escapade in return for getting the command billet."

Fraser's view is that America has "an awful lot of trust in our abilities. We have a good reputation as professional soldiers. We're experienced and capable of difficult tasks."

Why him? "Right place, right time," he says laconically. "It's not that I'm better than the commanders of other brigades. I'm equally as good as them. But it was this brigade's turn."

Fraser, as a colonel, was commanding officer of the 1st Battalion's Mechanized Brigade Group. He has also been co-director of the U.S.-Canada Binational Planning Group, based in Colorado Springs and working to enhance military intelligence sharing and maritime surveillance.

He's replacing an American as head of the joint force. Troops from the 1st Battalion, Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry, based in Edmonton, are going with him. They've been training in the mountains of western Canada to prepare for the high altitudes they'll encounter.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
`When you're being shot at, it's intense. You've got to be prepared to take care of yourself.'

Brig.-Gen. David Fraser

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There also reportedly will be special forces commandos from Joint Task Force Two, reconnaissance troops from Lord Strathcona's Horse and heavy guns from the 1st Regiment of Royal Canadian Horse Artillery.

Britain is contributing 3,000 troops and the Netherlands possibly up to 1,000. Australia may send Special Air Service commandos. The ground troops will be supported by jet fighters and attack and transport helicopters. There's no word yet on how many Americans will participate but they'll include special forces and pilots.

Fraser has been in Afghanistan twice in recent months to study what needs to be done and how he best can do it.

"I finished the second reconnaissance Thursday last week. I took 34 people with me, all the commanders at various levels to see the ground they'll be operating in. A picture is worth 1,000 words. Well, they got 10,000 words at least."

Fraser speaks of the need to minimize "collateral damage" â ” that is, killing civilians and destroying their homes. Of a non-combatant role in rebuilding infrastructure. The need for cultural sensitivity. The importance of training Afghan forces to fight for themselves.

He doesn't try to downplay the risks but he speaks of them with carefully chosen words.

"We're going into a very dangerous area. We will do everything we can do to mitigate those risks but we cannot guarantee to zero-out those risks. We're well-trained, well-equipped and ready to deal with the threat.

"I call it a full-spectrum operation. You can be simplistic and call it combat operations. When you're being shot at, it's intense. You've got to be prepared to take care of yourself.

"I spent a couple of hours walking through a little town called Qalat with the governor. A brave man. He was talking about what he wants to do. He's building a hospital, schools, he wants to build commerce and business. He needs help.

"I wouldn't call the terrorists well-equipped. They have small arms, they have anti-tank weapons. They're small, they're mobile and they attack success stories. If something's working, they attack it. Are they determined? Yes. But so are we."

How much can be achieved in only nine months? Fraser says he noticed small improvements between his visits to Afghanistan in August and last month. "Little steps. We'll look at making each day a little better than the day before. There isn't a soldier going over who, he or she, doesn't believe they can make a difference."

Fraser says neither of his sons is interested in following in his footsteps. His wife, he says, is very supportive. When he called her to tell her he'd been offered this command and what should he do, "she said, `You stupid fool. Of course you're going to take it.' This is the life we've chosen."

People who join the military, he says, as the conversation moves around again to the inevitability of combat deaths, "recognize this is a job unlike any other job.

"There is an inherent risk in what we do. We acknowledge that risk, we mitigate that risk through good training, leadership and risk management. But we can't reduce that risk to zero."

He challenges the assertion that Canada has done nothing in recent years but peacekeeping missions. "In the early '90s, that changed. Our experience in the Balkans, in Afghanistan. We are experienced warriors."

This particular warrior has been working 14-hour days. Tonight will be his third night in a row sleeping in his own bed. "That's the first time since August," he says. "I might even spend the weekend with my family."

Even the dog, Seiko, is used to him again once more. For a while, at least.

--

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1131663013136&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154&DPL=IvsNDS%2f7ChAX&tacodalogin=yes

Maritime_Matt said:
Our man in Afghanistan
He'll command multinational brigade
Believes U.S. has `trust in our abilities'
Nov. 11, 2005. 06:19 AM
BILL TAYLOR
FEATURE WRITER

EDMONTONâ ”With his thinning, sandy hair, less-than-bulky build and master's degree, David Fraser could be an academic. With his firm handshake and a glint of almost missionary zeal in his dark eyes, he could be a muscular Christian, out to spread the good word. If it weren't for his camouflage fatigues.Cadpat uniform.

This is Canada's next warrior chieftain, the man who will lead the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry back into battle; a campaign likely to bring Remembrance Day jarringly up-to-date. This time next year, we can expect to be observing two minutes' silence for the fallen heroes of Kandahar. Are you trying to imply something?

Fraser, newly promoted to brigadier-general, has just been named commander of an elite multi-national brigade, including between 1,600 and 2,200 Canadians and more than 4,000 British and U.S. troops. There's the possibility of Dutch and Australian participation, too, as they go after Al Qaeda, the Taliban, drug warlords and bandits in southern Afghanistan.

For once, this isn't a peacekeeping mission. When he goes there in February, he'll be at the head of a fighting force, aggressively pursuing these fast-moving private armies who work together when it suits them in a region that Fraser says is probably bigger than Ontario, "with everything â ” mountains, desert, rivers, urban areas. It has heat, it has cold. Up to 40 Celsius in summer, minus 20 in the mountains in winter. The environment is particularly hostile." I guess we were in the dark about what we were doing in Somalia, Yugoslavia, Oka, Afghanistan, the Persian Gulf.....

Given the level of attention to facts displayed here, I will suggest this newspaper be placed on the "ignore" list when looking for info on our operations.

Is this fellow trying to write a movie script?

quote;
Why him? "Right place, right time," he says laconically. "It's not that I'm better than the commanders of other brigades. I'm equally as good as them. But it was this brigade's turn." unquote

Read politics........... too bad it will be at the expense of the soldiers..........   sounds more like a patronage appointment, he learned politics well........ more like the third of the three stooges.....

"glint of almost missionary zeal in his dark eyes" - read "fanatic" - believes his own bu##****

"This time next year, we can expect to be observing two minutes' silence for the fallen heroes of Kandahar."

You can bet on it!   The Taliban Al Qaeda   are not stupid, they've been practicing for hundreds of years, study history.... they've won at every game they've played

Fraser, newly promoted to brigadier-general, has just been named commander of an elite multi-national brigade, including between 1,600 and 2,200 Canadians and more than 4,000 British and U.S. troops. There's the possibility of Dutch and Australian participation, too, as they go after Al Qaeda   , the Taliban, drug warlords and bandits in southern Afghanistan.

So, now it's a drug war.....?

"For once, this isn't a peacekeeping mission."    You want to hope that the ROE that are issued reflect this, just ask the U.S. on how they had to modify theirs......

"When he goes there in February, he'll be at the head of a fighting force, aggressively pursuing these fast-moving private armies who work together when it suits them in a region that Fraser says is probably bigger than Ontario, "with everything â ” mountains, desert, rivers, urban areas. It has heat, it has cold. Up to 40 Celsius in summer, minus 20 in the mountains in winter. The environment is particularly hostile."

Do you think....?   Why not just ask the Russians    Oh, by the way, are we trained to "operate" in mountains, deserts, rivers AND urban areas.......   meaning outside the happy, safe confines of the sandbags and bunkers where we like to go at the end of the day and have all the comforts of home............   talk about "turtle tactics".....

"When we identify the enemy, we will work with the Afghan army to take them out," Col. Steve Noonan, current commander of Canada's military presence in Afghanistan, told the Ottawa Citizen. "Our goal will be to kill or capture those elements."

Pretty bold statement....... hope the politicians back us up when we start capping these "identified enemy".......

"a combat veteran"....?   I beg your pardon........?   " He's served in Bosnia twice, Iraq and Cyprus"   when was he involved in a real gunfight...?

"Fraser, as a colonel, was commanding officer of the 1st Battalion's Mechanized Brigade Group. He has also been co-director of the U.S.-Canada BiBi nationallanning Group, based in Colorado Springs and working to enhance military intelligence sharing and maritime surveillance.".... sounds like a REAL tough "combat theatre"......

"They've been training in the mountains of western Canada to prepare for the high altitudes they'll encounter. "... been there, done that.... there's no comparison....

the4thhorseman,

What was the value added in your post?  Your cynical comments are not backed up by any type of fact or coherent commentary.  If its just the same to you, I'll keep my faith in BGen Fraser. 

Congratulations on your 3 rd post at army.ca...you are making a great name for yourself.

the4thhorseman you have amply demonstrated that you're an idiot.

Welcome to Army.ca.

4th horseman

Read more, post less and tone it down...Or get used to having a nasty glowing label on your profile.

Thanks

Slim
STAFF

Ah finally a use for the recently reinstalled rating system....

-1 for 4th  ;)

-1 is the max that can be given at one time. Sometimes that seems to be a shame.

Qalat: been there.  Nice town to drive up to in a big column of Coyotes and other vehicles.  It gets hotter than +40.  What was that road trip called ? 'CHEROKEE SKY'?  Road trip for me and my types, prob a Chinook or Iltis (or Toyota!) ride for a lot of you.

Tom

Did any of you happen to catch CTV's news tonight?  BG Fraser himself provided air sentry with JTF during talks with local tribesman.  Talk about leadership!

Back