• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Position number advice?

Steve 1 RNFLDR

Inactive
Reaction score
I figured this didn't quite fit in with the TF 1-07 thread, so I started a new one.

Upon returning to my unit following completion of my SQ and DP1 this summer, I put in a memorandum requesting employment on TF 1-07.  I finished DAGing a couple of weeks ago, and I've been waiting for a position number since then. 

I don't like to rock the boat and nag at my chain of command, but I'm rather anxious to get a position number so that I can drop my university courses and commence training.  I am awfully concerned that time is getting short, and that it may already be too late, as the confirmation exercise starts around the 20th, unless I am mistaken. 

At the moment, I am in the dark as to when the number may come, if at all.  Any suggestions as to what I can do besides wait?

I don't like to rock the boat and nag at my chain of command, but I'm rather anxious to get a position number so that I can drop my university courses and commence training.  I am awfully concerned that time is getting short, and that it may already be too late, as the confirmation exercise starts around the 20th, unless I am mistaken. 

If you haven't heard anything by now, you had better ask your chain of command as soon as possible.  I have to caution you about dropping your university courses simply to go on tour.  You are better off finishing you education and moving on with your life.  Tours overseas will always be there in the future.  An opportunity at educating and bettering yourself isn't.

Good luck.

I've known many a reservist who skipped a year to go on tour.  Worked out to missing one year and a semester, then it became a giant hassle to return in the middle of the year...

Actually, I only know two reservists who've ever returned promptly to studies after a tour.  One's taking one course and the other taking three (vs. a full course load).  Tours aren't as hard to come by as the motivation to attend and stay in post-secondary education. 

Ditto to the comments above.  There are some who can manage the transition from and back to studies very well; unfortunately, they are few and far between.

I would follow up with your chain of command, though.  Try to find the right level of "I'm very motivated" without crossing the line to "I'm a royal P-I-T-A".  You should also be aware that training has already begun (the TF 1-07 thread disucsses some aspects of this); there may be a limited number of positions still available that would require a new soldier with DP1; most positions still vacant are probably looking for higher ranks and specific qualifications.

And, as has been stated before, there will be tours in the future.

speaking as someone who puts names into slots for positions, I'm going to rain all over your parade and say you're probably hooped, dude. I filled the positions sourced to me many weeks ago. I'd venture to say pretty much every unit involved has, also.

Stay in school. Afghanistan ain't goin' anywhere, and there's been no sudden outbreak of World Peace that I've been told about.

Fighting for peace = job security, baby!

Thanks for the advice, folks.

Tomorrow I'll have to speak to my Trg WO again, and ask if there's anybody at LFAA with whom we could get in contact, and see what the delay is, and if there is actually any possibility of getting a position number.  The folks at my end know I'm motivated; the trouble is to motivate others to get me some answers.

As for dropping out of university, I've actually just gotten back into it this past spring after taking three years off to be a Sig Op in the regulars when I got properly sick of university the first time around.  Granted, I am concerned about delaying things another year, and being the creepy old guy in the class (even more so than now), but I'll be back, if for no other reason than to run with the MUN cross-country team.

As for there being other tours?  There are a couple reasons I'd like to have a go at this one specifically. 

Firstly, many/most of the reserves are being drawn from LFAA, with a fair number going from my unit.  Naturally, I'd prefer to go on tour with a crowd from my regiment. 

Secondly, I'd feel awfully silly sitting on the sidelines "with the halftime oranges and the fat wheezy boys with a note from Matron" when so many folks I know have either just gotten back this summer, or are over there now, or are going this winter.  If I don't do my damnedest to get on this tour, I'll have to get a "no shaving" chit because I won't be able to look at the "hangashore" in the mirror.  Also, if I don't get back overseas before 2 CMBG HQ & Sig Sqn (my old unit) goes in Nov 07, that will confirm to me that getting out of the regulars to go back to school was an ABSOLUTELY boneheaded decision.

As a third point, I was always told that TF 1-07 was desperate for bodies.  Another compelling reason to "do my bit."  I've heard stories about significant numbers of troops signing on to do the training in order to get some work, and then bailing, either having changed their minds or never having intended to deploy in the first place.

Besides these, I see the tour as something to get out of the way; I need to satisfy my wanderlust (at least for a while) so that I can settle into my schooling, content in the knowledge that there's a set timeframe before I'd be allowed overseas again.  Maybe have a go at Reserve Entry Scheme for Officers--can't do it now, because it would delay any chance of deployment for a few years.  If I do this tour, I may be back in time to go back to school in the fall, only having to write off two semesters, whereas if I wait six months and have a go at the next one, I'll be missing the winter semester to train, and the fall and following winter semester for the tour itself (since 3-07 won't end until February).

One theory I've heard about the delay in receiving the position number is that "broken" individuals may still be taking up position numbers.

Even if there is no chance in hell that I'm going on this tour, it would be nice to get a solid answer.  Right now I feel rather like a mushroom (kept in the dark and fed horse s___....well, at least the former, anyway). 

If nothing else, it's been nice to vent about it.

Back