• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Politics in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would make for a dangerous precedent.

Montreal would ask for the same treatment, and imagine Quebec without the urban multicultural cosmopolitan of Montreal in it.

mariomike said:
Secession of the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) from the province of Ontario would be good enough for me.  :)

#GTAexit
Why?  What's to gain?

ballz said:
There was and still is plenty of opposition to it in Alberta (I live here now). I also lived and worked in Alberta when it had close to the lowest minimum wage in the country ($7 at the time, ~2005-07) and yet Burger King was paying $15/hr for a part-time 16 year old to flip burgers. Everyone from places with shitty economies like Nfld would ask me "what's minimum wage" because they thought minimum wage was standard of living indicator, and I'd tell them, "I don't know, it's never been mentioned." Imagine that, an actual strong economy was the best cure for low wages....

New Brunswickers are barely capable of governing themselves (I lived there from May 2012 - Aug 2017), you only know the provincial government is doing something good there if the voting public is complaining about it. I am from Newfoundland which I would say the same thing about.

Minimum wage has to be one of the most frustratingly stupid issues. Long-term, it literally does nothing good or bad for anyone.... except inflation, which is good for the government and bad for anyone with positive net worth.

+300 'cause you're exactly right!

No. But, in my opinion, time for an urban secession to split the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) from the province of Ontario into a new Canadian province.

Do us a favor and become your own country. ON and Canada will appreciated the the loss of Liberal votes.

Jarnhamar said:
Why?  What's to gain?

That the government of the GTA would belong to and be responsible to the local citizens who elected it, not the provincial government.

eg: City Hall not having to get permission from Queen's Park to install a speed bump.

Rifleman62 said:
Do us a favor and become your own country. ON and Canada will appreciated the the loss of Liberal votes.

Make Canada a one-party ( ie: Conservative ) state?

That would put us in the same category as: China, North Korea, Cuba...

mariomike said:
Make Canada a one-party ( ie: Conservative ) state?

That would put us in the same category as: China, North Korea, Cuba...

:facepalm:

You win the Internet today for stupid hyperbole, MM....

SeaKingTacco said:
:facepalm:

You win the Internet today for stupid hyperbole, MM....

Sorry you feel that way.

Rifleman62 said:

Sounds like a one-party ( Conservative ) state to me.

Current one-party states
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-party_state#Current_one-party_states

mariomike said:
That the government of the GTA would belong to and be responsible to the local citizens who elected it, not the provincial government.

eg: City Hall not having to get permission from Queen's Park to install a speed bump.

EHealth scandal
Gas plants scandal
Ornge scandal

I think I can see why Toronto leadership needs to ask permission to spend money on a speed bump ;)

mariomike:
Sounds like a one-party ( Conservative ) state to me.

Do you really think that? You think no one in the ROC would cast a vote for the LPC? Lots of people in the ROC love his hair and selfies.

So I saw some of the effects of the minimum wage increase. I go to the same place for breakfast/brunch with the wife every Sunday.  I noticed the new menus and new pricing.  Everything went up 1 to 3 dollars.  The owner didn’t want to lay off or cut back any hours so raised his prices.  Says he’ll see how that works in the coming months. 

Now his prices have been the same for the last three years and they are already low so not too much a hit on my wallet but it makes me think twice if I consider ordering something more expensive from time to time.

My wife however commented on how maybe we should just have brunch at home more often and maybe limit our brunch there to every two weeks.  She is much more frugal than me. 

I guess it all depends on what people are willing to accept.  Increased prices or lower service.

Relax.  The same process will repeat that has repeated before: min wage goes up, prices and wages adjust (recalibrate) accordingly.  A new equilibrium will be reached, at which the new min wage will have about as much purchasing power relative to the new price/wage structure as the old min wage had relative to the old price/wage structure.

Brad Sallows said:
Relax.  The same process will repeat that has repeated before: min wage goes up, prices and wages adjust (recalibrate) accordingly.  A new equilibrium will be reached, at which the new min wage will have about as much purchasing power relative to the new price/wage structure as the old min wage had relative to the old price/wage structure.
What! You mean politicians cannot legislate supply and demand?

Brad Sallows said:

You forgot ...and everyone else who didn't get a 20% raise will see their purchasing power decrease.

ModlrMike said:
You forgot ...and everyone else who didn't get a 20% raise will see their purchasing power decrease.
Now we can all be just as poor as those trying to live off minimum wage. Wealth distribution, Comrade.

Brad Sallows said:

Maybe.  But the amount raised in such a short time is what is different plus add in all the other employment rules like vacation leave, guaranteed hours or pay for shift cancellations is what is a bit different. 

Jarnhamar said:
I think I can see why Toronto leadership needs to ask permission to spend money on a speed bump ;)

To paraphrase Mayor LaGuardia, there is no Liberal or Conservative way of fixing a sewer. 

Having spent my career as municipal employee, I was/am thankful that these party politcs "discussions" began at the provincial level. :)

Rifleman62 said:
Do us a favor and become your own country.

Likewise.

Rifleman62 said:
ON and Canada will appreciated the the loss of Liberal votes.

Sounds very close to a one-party state to me. Where Liberals can always run, but Conservatives will always win.

I am sorry to have to say so: That is one of the least thought through argument I have seen in along time.

How on earth could Toronto becoming it's own province make Canada a single party country ?????????

They would still have federal ridings ... and very likely the same number of ridings. So how the hell would that change Canada !!!!

As for the remaining Ontario province, if it is so "conservative", I am willing to bet that, after being "freed" from them Libs, they would fracture into the "very conservatives" vs "less conservatives", etc. etc.

One of the consequences of having a real Parliamentary democracy is that it always creates a two party system at the least.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
How on earth could Toronto becoming it's own province make Canada a single party country ?????????

They would still have federal ridings ... and very likely the same number of ridings. So how the hell would that change Canada !!!!

My reply was to this,

Rifleman62 said:

Oldgateboatdriver said:
That is one of the least thought through argument I have seen in along time.
True, but it's a welcome break from his turning every discussion into a collection of ambulance stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back