• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PM seeks Parliament shutdown till March 2010

zipperhead_cop said:
If work is getting done, and Parliament is out...?  Has anyone ever seen Question Period?  Gad dammed embarrassing.  Dissolve the whole thing and run a Conservative dictatorship.  I think it's time.  ^-^
(clip is selected to highlight immature fratboy antics, not being partisan)

Yup, just watched the news. For a bunch of people that Igor and the liebrals are claiming are on vacation, the Conservatives sure seem to be on top of the Haitian aid things pretty quick. Perhaps it's because they don't have all the encumbrances of the 'albatross around their necks' opposition parties deflecting issues with their caterwalling. While the liebrals and dippers are totally engrossed in slinging feces, the Conservatives are at work making things happen. The only demand that Taliban Jack can come up with is for the gov't to match private donations, but we'll likely exceed that sum anyway. Moot point for TJ. Prince Igor can only ask that we fast track Haitian visas. Typical liebral. Looking for more immigrant votes, even on the back of a tragedy.

Brihard said:
'Dubious or otherwise'... Are you suggesting the EKOS poll on the subject used flawed methodology or that it is unreliable for some other reason? The mathematics of opinion polling are long established...

Hawk said:
I worked for Ipsos-Reid. Their call floor is in downtown Winnipeg. The way the polls work is this. They ask you about your support for the Government's commitment to having the troops in Afghanistan: "a. strongly support, b. support, c. oppose, or d. strongly oppose". If they punch in an "a" or "b" answer, it automatically brings up "Those are all my questions. On behalf of Ipsos Reid and myself, I would like to thank you for participating in our poll today. Have a good evening. Good-bye." If they punch in a "c" or "d", the next question about the troops in Afghanistan, or the Government pops up, and the survey continues damning the Government, the Troops, or both. Been there, done that - night, after night, after night. The kids (mostly age 16 to 20) will keep calling on this till they get a good number of negative responses, usually a pre-determined amount. Thankfully, I wasn't there long, but long enough to realize what a scam public opinion polling is.

zipperhead_cop said:
If work is getting done, and Parliament is out...?  Has anyone ever seen Question Period?  Gad dammed embarrassing.  Dissolve the whole thing and run a Conservative dictatorship.  I think it's time.  ^-^
(clip is selected to highlight immature fratboy antics, not being partisan)

I had a big rant on this, but then I accidentally clicked on a different link and lost it.
Which is good, because I responded emotionally at how stupid of a statement that was. Instead, I'll sum it up for you (with proper spelling, to boot!):
- Harper avoided the question that was asked the entire time, including using the 'heartfelt moment' regarding the helicopter incident to avoid the question (which is also arguably him being out of order by not offering a related rebuttal).
- Whenever Ignatieff tried to speak, he was laughed at and mocked to the point where he could hardly be heard. THIS is 'fratboy antics'.
- Every time Harper opens his mouth, it's clear that the whole governmental procedure is nothing but a game of marbles to him. You can see it in the way he smirks and hear it in his arrogant tone.

Now, back to something that actually matters... In regards to the response to the disaster in Haiti, I would not give Harper the pat on the back for the fast response nor attribute all of it to the Conservative government. Personally, I would attribute the response to Peter MacKay and the Gov. General, who is of Haitian descent.

I believe a Liberal government would have responded just as quickly, and the fact that there is no parliament in session at present does not equate to a quicker response by the Conservative government.

Occam's razor. When given two theories, choose the theory with the least amount of assumptions.
In this case, either:
A) The Conservative government responded quicker to the Haitian disaster by not having a nagging Liberal opposition party to prevent their response.
or
B) The Canadian government responsed quickly to the Haitian disaster because they have outlined the procedures and funds for International disaster relief required by learning from past experiences (I.e., 2004 tsunami) and parliamentary debate and discussion.

Use rational thought and choose.

hold_fast said:
Now, back to something that actually matters... In regards to the response to the disaster in Haiti, I would not give Harper the pat on the back for the fast response nor attribute all of it to the Conservative government. Personally, I would attribute the response to Peter MacKay and the Gov. General, who is of Haitian descent.
Yes, she is of Haitian descent, but she is Canadian.  I would liken her leadership to that of Moral leadership, because the real executive power rests with the PM.  Peter MacKay is but a minister, but again, the executive rests with Mr. Harper.
hold_fast said:
I believe a Liberal government would have responded just as quickly, and the fact that there is no parliament in session at present does not equate to a quicker response by the Conservative government.
Here's a short time-line of what happened in the 2004 Tsunami:
An earthquake in the Indian Ocean on Dec. 26, 2004, triggered a series of tsunamis in Southeast Asia, killing an estimated 275,000 people. Prime Minster Paul Martin announced Jan. 2, 2005, that DART would be sent to Sri Lanka.
(source)

hold_fast said:
Occam's razor. When given two theories, choose the theory with the least amount of assumptions.
In this case, either:
A) The Conservative government responded quicker to the Haitian disaster by not having a nagging Liberal opposition party to prevent their response.
or
B) The Canadian government responsed quickly to the Haitian disaster because they have outlined the procedures and funds for International disaster relief required by learning from past experiences (I.e., 2004 tsunami) and parliamentary debate and discussion.

Use rational thought and choose.
I'll say "a".  Fewer assumptions.

And I was awaiting for someone to associate the quick response by the government to the disaster in Haiti to the fact that the  GG is of Haitian background. The spin of: Did she not do the government's bidding twice?

hold_fast fell into it, and whoever hold_fast is (the non requirement to fill out a profile), they will not be the last to spin the government's quick response in this way.

It's like using the term war criminals based on one man's report.

Brihard said:
'Dubious or otherwise'... Are you suggesting the EKOS poll on the subject used flawed methodology or that it is unreliable for some other reason? The mathematics of opinion polling are long established...
In addition to Bruce Monkhouse's link here, have a look at this archived CBC article, which explains why polls are often wrong, and becoming increasingly inaccurate.
The perils of polling
Posted in Reality Check on October 12, 2008

By Ira Basen

The most nervous people in Canada Tuesday will undoubtedly be the 1,601 men and women running for office. The second most nervous group will likely be Canada’s pollsters.

Over the past five weeks they’ve been paid hundreds of thousands of dollars by media outlets to try to capture the pulse of the nation. Hardly a day goes by without some new poll telling us how people are planning to mark their ballots.

But what if they’re wrong? What if the final results bear little resemblance to what the latest polls predicted? Wouldn’t that be embarrassing? Well, not really.

Pollsters are hard to embarrass
The article provides detail on why pollsters are OK with being wrong so often.

And if the two links cited don't convince you......then your mind is already made up, and you don't understand why an increasingly discredited source producing nebulous phrases such as, "is indicative that a great many Canadians are opposed to it, including a substantial number from the right wing" really don't carry much weight.

"Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics"
    ~Benjamin Disraeli, later popularized by Mark Twain

Brihard said:
It's not merely Harper haters taking issue with prorogation. There are many of us who voted for him who are opposed to the prorogue as well; up to 32% of conservatives, if EKOS is to be believed.

I appreciate your position; you and I see prorogation differently, that’s all. But the Harper Haters are real – see Lawrence Martin, for example. The Harper haters are ideologues – every bit as much, say, our very own Thucydides.

I have no doubt that the polls are right and his prorogation decision is backfiring in the immediate term. I expect that events – including Haiti – will change that but his overall reputation will take yet another hit. Harper probably isn’t worried because Iggy Iffy Icarus is such a damp squib that he cannot profit from Harper’s errors.

There was an interesting article on a major media outlet’s web site a few days ago – I cannot find it now -  expressing, yet again, the concern that our (Canadian) parliamentary system is dysfunctional. I happen to agree. For fully 40 years now, since 1970, power has been increasingly centralized in the PMO. Trudeau was only expressing the views of all his successors and all their advisors (Mulroney, Chrétien and now Harper) when he said MPs were nobodies as soon as they were off Parliament Hill. In fact they, most MPs, including some ministers, are nobodies even when they are on the Hill. We used to say that Canadian PMs with majorities were ‘elected dictators;’ now Harper is demonstrating that a good parliamentary tactician can be an ‘elected dictator’ without a majority.

I see, and I’m repeating myself, prorogation as a normal part of the ‘life’ of parliaments – we’ve had 40 parliaments (following general elections) in 143 years and we’ve had 144 ‘sessions’ – 100+ of them following prorogations. Prorogations are healthy; they allow the government of the day to suck back and reload and, through the mechanism of a new Speech from the Throne, present a revised programme to parliament, for its approval or rejection, and, therefore, to Canadians for their approval or rejection.

In my view this is a good time for a prorogation. The economic disaster is, for the moment, over - but all is not sweetness and light for Canadians: if we are, indeed, in a recovery it appears to be a jobless one; government  stimulus spending is not the answer to all our prayers – in fact it has driven us into deficit and Canadians need to consider the government’s plan to balance the books, again; Afghanistan is winding down – it’s time to (re)consider our place in the world; and so on. A new Throne Speech will give parliamentarians and Canadians much food for thought and action. Perhaps the Liberals, NDP and BQ will disapprove the Throne Speech or the follow-on budget and send us to the polls again; perhaps one (any one is enough) will support the government and Harper will be given time to implement his new revised updated ‘plan.’

In any event, as the Haiti exercise shows, the government works quite well without the ‘guiding hand’ of parliament.

As to the rumoured reason for the prorogation, the Afghanistan detainee issue, I repeat: we need a public inquiry that asks how we got into this detainee pickle, starting back in 2002. Blame, such as there is, needs to be laid at the feet of all those who made decisions that may have put Canadian soldiers and leaders in a legally untenable situation. Those key decisions were made in 2002 and 2005 – by Liberals. Bring on the inquiry!

This is one of the  problems a parliament still in session should be dealing with.

Chronic deficit looms, watchdog says
Even with the economy at full strength in 2013, tax hikes, spending cuts may be the only remedy

OTTAWA–Canada is teetering on the brink of an economic chasm as debt continues to pile up, budget watchdog Kevin Page said Wednesday.

Page predicted that by late 2013, when the economy will be back at full capacity, the federal government will still have a deficit of nearly $20 billion – more than $8 billion higher than Finance Minister Jim Flaherty's forecast – that could last well into the future.

"What we are saying to parliamentarians is that you've got some tough choices ahead," Page told reporters.

"You've got a weak economy ... you got a (higher) unemployment rate ... and you got to start dealing with a structural fiscal problem that's going to get bigger and bigger and bigger and we are saying right now you have no targets," he said.

"We are nowhere near annual balanced budgets. We are nowhere near debt-to-GDP ratio of 25 per cent. Our forecast ... is a debt-to-GDP ratio of 34 to 35 per cent."

The parliamentary budget officer said a combination of overspending, tax cuts, reduced labour productivity, low commodity prices and an aging workforce means Canada is headed for a real "mess."

"We were in a mess in the early 1990s, high debt-to-GDP (gross domestic product) ratio. For every revenue dollar, we were spending 35 cents in interest ... so we know what it's like to be in a mess," he said  after handing down a report on potential GDP and the government's structural budget balance.

More at LINK

Rifleman62 said:
And I was awaiting for someone to associate the quick response by the government to the disaster in Haiti to the fact that the  GG is of Haitian background. The spin of: Did she not do the government's bidding twice?

hold_fast fell into it, and whoever hold_fast is (the non requirement to fill out a profile), they will not be the last to spin the government's quick response in this way.

It's like using the term war criminals based on one man's report.

The GG holds a LOT of sway with the government, regardless of how you picture her. She is the representative of the Queen of Canada, our Queen. It is not just for publicity that she was in the briefing meetings on Canada's response to the Haitian disaster, she WANTED to be there. Whereas if you look at Harper, his usual lifeless stare looks like he's thinking about rainbows and unicorns.

The GG doing the bidding twice for the government - I assume this is in relation to her prorogation of parliament twice. She made the right choice in the first prorogation - Canadians didn't want a second election so quickly, and too many people were against a coalition government. As for the second prorogation, I don't think she put much thought into it - she most likely just saw the Olympics and understood why to prorogue it past January 25th.

Now, in regards to my "non requirement to fill out a profile" - I read the terms and conditions of this site. It was a suggestion, and NOT a requirement in the area I came upon.
If you can provide something substantial to the contrary, feel free to do so, Mr. Milnet Police Officer.

hold_fast said:
It is not just for publicity that she was in the briefing meetings on Canada's response to the Haitian disaster, she WANTED to be there.
As is her right.  And given her heritage, fully expected.  Well done to her, in fact.
hold_fast said:
Whereas if you look at Harper, his usual lifeless stare looks like he's thinking about rainbows and unicorns.
No comment to this ad hominem attack.

Baden  Guy said:
This is one of the  problems a parliament still in session should be dealing with.

Chronic deficit looms, watchdog says
Even with the economy at full strength in 2013, tax hikes, spending cuts may be the only remedy

OTTAWA–Canada is teetering on the brink of an economic chasm as debt continues to pile up, budget watchdog Kevin Page said Wednesday.

Page predicted that by late 2013, when the economy will be back at full capacity, the federal government will still have a deficit of nearly $20 billion – more than $8 billion higher than Finance Minister Jim Flaherty's forecast – that could last well into the future.

"What we are saying to parliamentarians is that you've got some tough choices ahead," Page told reporters.

"You've got a weak economy ... you got a (higher) unemployment rate ... and you got to start dealing with a structural fiscal problem that's going to get bigger and bigger and bigger and we are saying right now you have no targets," he said.

"We are nowhere near annual balanced budgets. We are nowhere near debt-to-GDP ratio of 25 per cent. Our forecast ... is a debt-to-GDP ratio of 34 to 35 per cent."

The parliamentary budget officer said a combination of overspending, tax cuts, reduced labour productivity, low commodity prices and an aging workforce means Canada is headed for a real "mess."

"We were in a mess in the early 1990s, high debt-to-GDP (gross domestic product) ratio. For every revenue dollar, we were spending 35 cents in interest ... so we know what it's like to be in a mess," he said  after handing down a report on potential GDP and the government's structural budget balance.

More at LINK

But parliament qua parliament cannot do anything about that except approve or not the government's plans to deal with the deficit. Parliamentary committee hearing, in Canada, are a bad joke because:

1. Committee's are far, far too partisan;

2. Committee members do not take the 'work' seriously - see partisan, above; and

3. Committee's have inadequate research staffs.

Further, the experts (and Kevin page is not an expert, he is just a smarter than average guy who consults some) will not speak, clearly and constructively, to committees or even the opposition leader because they want direct, trusted access to the Minister of Finance and they fear they will lose that if they advise committees and the opposition.

Page's report is one, but only one, piece of evidence Finance (minister and bureaucrats) need to consider, during this prorogation, while they revise their fiscal plan for a March/April budget. Then, after the budget is brought down, parliament has a role: approve it or send us too the polls. Until then: they're better off doing nothing because, at least they're doing less harm.

hold_fast said:
Now, in regards to my "non requirement to fill out a profile" - I read the terms and conditions of this site. It was a suggestion, and NOT a requirement in the area I came upon.
If you can provide something substantial to the contrary, feel free to do so, Mr. Milnet Police Officer.

Nice attitude.  It lends well to your credibility, or lack thereof.  Your credibility is what some are/may be questioning.  It will take much longer to prove it through numerous posts, than it would should someone have an idea "where you are coming from".  Of course it is your choice to attempt some anonymity on the internet and let the membership develop an impression rather quickly of who you are.  Just be warned, it may not be complimentary.

This is a tough crowd.  Judgements are already being made. 

Hope this helps you rethink your reply above.

E.R. Campbell said:
Further, the experts (and Kevin page is not an expert, he is just a smarter than average guy who consults some) will not speak, clearly and constructively, to committees or even the opposition leader because they want direct, trusted access to the Minister of Finance and they fear they will lose that if they advise committees and the opposition.

Perhaps somewhat more than " a smarter than an average guy who cnsults."

79.2 The mandate of the Parliamentary Budget Officer is to
(a) provide independent analysis to the Senate and to the House of Commons about the state of the nation’s finances, the estimates of the government and trends in the national economy;
(b) when requested to do so by any of the following committees, undertake research for that committee into the nation’s finances and economy:
(i) the Standing Committee on National Finance of the Senate or, in the event that there is not a Standing Committee on National Finance, the appropriate committee of the Senate,

(ii) the Standing Committee on Finance of the House of Commons or, in the event that there is not a Standing Committee on Finance, the appropriate committee of the House of Commons, or

(iii) the Standing Committee on Public Accounts of the House of Commons or, in the event that there is not a Standing Committee on Public Accounts, the appropriate committee of the House of Commons;

(c) when requested to do so by a committee of the Senate or of the House of Commons, or a committee of both Houses, that is mandated to consider the estimates of the government, undertake research for that committee into those estimates; and
(d) when requested to do so by a member of either House or by a committee of the Senate or of the House of Commons, or a committee of both Houses, estimate the financial cost of any proposal that relates to a matter over which Parliament has jurisdiction.
2006, c. 9, s. 116.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/P-1/20090818/page-3.html#codese:79_2

And :

Kevin Page was born in Thunder Bay, Ontario in 1957 to James and Stella Page. A graduate of Fort William Collegiate Institute, he later studied at Lakehead University, Simon Fraser University and took his M.A. in economics from Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Page

Hold on hold_fast. The "the non requirement to fill out a profile" remark was confirmation that you do not have to fill out the profile. It is up to you to decide as you stated.

I did check all your previous posts prior to my post, just to see if I understood where you are coming from.

All I was saying was that in my opinion, the Harper Haters will soon be on that spin. Heck, I am surprised some in the media, or the comments to the articles, did not say Harper caused the earthquake.

Now that was silly, wasn't it.

He Did!! He Did!!.....Honest.....I heard in the lineup at Starbucks this morning, and boy, you can't get more credible than that!!!

:)

Technoviking said:
Yes, she is of Haitian descent, but she is Canadian.  I would liken her leadership to that of Moral leadership, because the real executive power rests with the PM.  Peter MacKay is but a minister, but again, the executive rests with Mr. Harper.Here's a short time-line of what happened in the 2004 Tsunami:
An earthquake in the Indian Ocean on Dec. 26, 2004, triggered a series of tsunamis in Southeast Asia, killing an estimated 275,000 people. Prime Minster Paul Martin announced Jan. 2, 2005, that DART would be sent to Sri Lanka.
(source)

I'll say "a".  Fewer assumptions.

'Moral' is the wrong word, but I'll go with it since I'm too tired to seek out the right word.
'Moral leadership' is just as powerful and useful as executive power. Certainly it was 'moral leadership' that dictated we should assist Haiti, not just the longstanding governmental commitment to Haiti.
Anyone who believes otherwise is a buffoon.

It has taken a week or more to understand the enormous scale of the disaster in Asia − recall in the first hours a loss of 12,000 lives was reported; now we are facing a loss which may exceed 200,000 − twice the population of Thunder Bay. DART requires a large physical area to establish its base, and its specialised engineering capacity ideally needs to be located near to a primary water treatment facility in order to establish a long-term water supply.  It is, therefore, prudent to take time to assess the scope of the disaster and to select carefully the site for the team so that it can have the greatest impact in the longer term towards the recovery of the community.

It is an unfortunate fact that even in so huge a humanitarian crisis, some news media and politicians seize on the opportunity to politicise the national and international response.  Surely partisan politics can be set aside in these circumstances and the focus turn to investigative journalism identifying the needs and the most efficient and effective response strategies?  Had these politicians taken time to educate the public on the capacity and role of  DART, the apparent delay in its deployment would be better understood by the public.  Canadians should take great pride in the contribution that the DART team will make in the current crisis. - Dr. Tony Gillies, Civil Engineer
http://agora.lakeheadu.ca/agora.php?st=51

Asia is bigger than Haiti.
We already had longstanding contacts in Haiti and could move in quickly, whereas Southeast Asia was a much more volatile climate both politically and geographically.

Anyways... back to the prorogation...

Journeyman said:
In addition to Bruce Monkhouse's link here, have a look at this archived CBC article, which explains why polls are often wrong, and becoming increasingly inaccurate.The article provides detail on why pollsters are OK with being wrong so often.

And if the two links cited don't convince you......then your mind is already made up, and you don't understand why an increasingly discredited source producing nebulous phrases such as, "is indicative that a great many Canadians are opposed to it, including a substantial number from the right wing" really don't carry much weight.

The 'nebulous phrases' you quoted belonged to me, not the EKOS poll. The actual research findings that informed those phrases were that 41% of Canadians 'Strongly Oppose' prorogue. Another 18% 'Somewhat Oppose". 16% 'Somewhat Support", and only 15% 'Strongly Support'. The remainder were unsure or chose not to respond. That's 59% opposing to any degree, and 31% supporting to any degree. Out of self-reported Conservatives who answered the poll, 14.0% 'Strongly Oppose', and 17.1% 'Somewhat Oppose'.

I didn't initially want to just throw numbers at you, but I'm perfectly wiling to if you object to my phrasing. I can link you to the data tables if you would like to verify what I've said. They also disclose their research methodology and margins of error.

I recognize that polling is not magic, and is prone to error, however this is not the only research finding on this subject, and it's been widely reported from several other research findings in the past week that support for the conservatives has taken a fairly significant hit over this. Even if you want to argue the specific findings of any given poll, it's getting increasingly hard to argue the general trend being indicated as further polls report similar results. The prorogue is having a pretty significant political backlash.

E.R. Campbell said:
As to the rumoured reason for the prorogation, the Afghanistan detainee issue, I repeat: we need a public inquiry that asks how we got into this detainee pickle, starting back in 2002. Blame, such as there is, needs to be laid at the feet of all those who made decisions that may have put Canadian soldiers and leaders in a legally untenable situation. Those key decisions were made in 2002 and 2005 – by Liberals. Bring on the inquiry!

Here is the speech I would like Stephen Harper to give later this month or during the first week or so of February:

-------------------------------​

Ladies and Gentlemen;

As we – all Canadians – bask in the glow of the accomplishments of our armed forces personnel in the recent Haitian crisis it is worth remembering that they are not without their critics.

During the last session of parliament and during this recess several prominent Canadians, including elected member of parliament, former cabinet ministers amongst them, have suggested – quite explicitly – that Canadian soldiers and their leaders are war criminals. You may recall retired Lieutenant General Michel Gauthier’s crie de cour to a parliamentary committee about the shock he and his wife felt when they saw, on nation wide television, a member of parliament, not a member of my party, I assure you, accuse him of just that: being a war criminal.

First: let me admit, straight off, that my government did not handle this issue as well as we could have and should have. We did, eventually, reform the detainee custody system we inherited from Messers Chrétien and Martin but it took too long. Right off the top: we did not fully understand the issue – we learned, but, throughout 2006, we were preoccupied with other issues, including other issues related to Afghanistan. That’s not an excuse but it is what happened. We misunderstood what the system we inherited from Messers Chrétien and Martin did and did not do for us. Even y experienced and knowledgeable defence minister, who probably understood this issue better than anyone at the cabinet table, was unsure of the details of, for example, Red Cross reporting. That’s not an excuse, either, but, again, it is what happened at the time. We made mistakes; we corrected our mistakes; we took responsibility and blame; we never tried to blame our soldiers and the military leaders; we never called our general – who have devoted their whole adult lives to the service of their country – war criminals.

Second: The charge, which I regard as scurrilous, has been levied, and people of good will and people of ill will, too, can and will exploit it. Some people will want to haul someone like retired Lieutenant General Gauthier in front of an international war crimes tribunal – and they might get away with that if we, Canada, do not take action to investigate the issue thoroughly, properly and openly.

To that end: I intend to convene a Royal Commission on Canadian Responsibilities for the Handling of Detainees in Afghanistan from 2002 to 2008. I will ask an eminent Canadian jurist to lead this commission; one member will be a judge lawyer with significant international military law experience – especially related to e.g. the Geneva Conventions; another will be a Canadian judge or lawyer with considerable experience in human rights law.

Their mandate will be:

1. Tell us how we got into this mess and, by so doing, tell us how to avoid getting into it again; and

2. Tell us how our political, bureaucratic, operational and legal procedures might be strengthened so that Canadian soldiers are not faced with bad choices in the future.

I will waive cabinet confidentiality for this Royal Commission but it may, almost certainly will, have to consider some evidence in camera so that classified and privileged information is not made public. But, in the main, I will expect the Commission to work in the open. My ministers and officials will all testify fully and I will expect former ministers officials to do the same. The Commission will have the power to compel testimony.

The Royal Commission will be able to find fault, if there is some, and lay blame, if blame is warranted, and then, if necessary, Crown Prosecutors may take action based on its findings.

At the end of this process, which will be difficult for some, Canadians will be able to be assured that their military will always act within the spirit and letter of international humanitarian law and, if it does not, those individuals who fail in their duty - soldiers, bureaucrats or politicians - will be called to the bar of justice.

We need to do this. As I said, some politicians and other public figutes have said that our military personnel are war criminals. Of course, I do not believe that, but some will and it is, therefore, the duty of the Government of Canada to investigate and to give our military members a full chance to clear their good names and, also, to prove to the world that we can and will investigate and deal with such accusations here in Canada, on our own.

After consultations with the appropriate officials I look forward to naming the Commission before parliament resumes sitting in March.

Thank you for your attention.

-------------------------------​

We need to allow our military members to clear their names of these odious charges, leveled by shameless politicians and we need to assign the blame where it belongs: with the governments of the day that made the various and sundry poor decisions. ’Allo M. Chrétien!, Mister Martin: pay attention, Sir!

George Wallace said:
Nice attitude.  It lends well to your credibility, or lack thereof.  Your credibility is what some are/may be questioning.  It will take much longer to prove it through numerous posts, than it would should someone have an idea "where you are coming from".  Of course it is your choice to attempt some anonymity on the internet and let the membership develop an impression rather quickly of who you are.  Just be warned, it may not be complimentary.

This is a tough crowd.  Judgements are already being made. 

Hope this helps you rethink your reply above.

My credibility need only extend to my existence as a Canadian citizen with an opinion. It's obvious I'm not trolling.
I'd argue that any additional information would become the real fodder for others to factor into passing judgements on my opinions, rather than taking the opinions just as they are.
Making judgements on my tone or opinion is more comforting to me than to make judgements on my age or what part of Canada I'm currently living in.

Nonetheless, I've updated it with what I feel is enough information.

ER...while I think the end result will end the same as you pointed out, but why would the government cater to comments from the cheap seats?

The MSM is milking it and essentially condemming it, most intelligent voters can see the partisanship garbage for what it is........

Back