• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical Fitness (Jogging, Diet, Cardiovascular, and Strength )

Best thing to do is work your way back slowly, feeling out what is comfortable for you. I rarely ever get sick, but when I do, when I go back to the gym, I usually set myself back to where I was a week before I got sick. As and example if I was benching 200lbs the week before I got sick then I would try that. If I felt it was too much I'd drop the weight down so I wouldn't wipe myself out.

another really silly question: is chewing gum while running a bad thing? For me it helps me get through my running, but my friend tells me that it dries the moisture in your mouth

Mystic I don't know about running but I chew gum while bike riding, works for me!

I don't have the name or any info on the program but the health professional in me is screaming" BE CAREFUL" drastic wight loss like that can be extremely dangerous. You should only be removing roughly two to three pounds per week in order to prevent damage to your body.

Also I cringe when I hear someone asking about taking ephedrine, it is extremely dangerous and has been banned for a reason, caffeine/caffeine substitutes consumed when working out for energy are actually a hindrance, If your body requires that much of a boost when you are working out then it is too tired to reap the benefits effectively of said workout.

I hate to beat a dead dog and I'm sure everyone here has heard it but there really isn't a magic pill or drink for weight loss, it comes from proper nutrition, hydration, and physical activity.

Protein supplements and drinks can be good when used properly but you can also attain the same results through diet. Some of these weight boosting products are actually harmful in the long run. Be careful what you take and how often you are taking it and really this stuff should only be consumed after speaking with you doctor because they can get in the way and create some very nasty side effects when combined with certain medications and or illness'. Just my 2 cents

Rebel

Here is the link to the US Army Physical Fitness Manual, it is a good starting point to understand how to set up a PT program and how to increase your fitness level.

http://www.armyrotc.vt.edu/PT/APFTmanual.htm

Hey Steve, since I just picked up a bike and we'll i remember briefly about you explaining a little bit of HIIT, would you mind explaining a little bit on here what it is, not only for my personal benefit  ;D but for others as well. Thanks man.  :salute:

Oh and Arnolds Encyclopedia is amazing, if you enjoy reading all 800 and something pages of er' great source of information, but then again so is the internet haha

later

Not to steal Steve's thunder, but HIIT is as simple as it sounds, High Intesity Interval Training. Basically, warm up for 5 mins or so, then go about 80 - 90% of your max for anywhere from 30 - 60 secs and then go at about 60% for about 1-2 mins (depending on how long your High interval was) I know it's not very clear, but really there is no defined program, there are hundreds on the web, just google it. However I caution people about the max % deal, as it will inevitably get less as you get more and more tired. Want a real high intensity workout, do your high interval over time/distance instead of % rate. I.E. try to sprint 300m in 1 min at each interval high. That way you know when you are starting to weaken when it starts taking longer to sprint the 300m. Hope this helps.

Ya I wasn't sure if it was go "max out" for a certain time then walk for about double the time you went "max out" (eg. run/30 secs walk/60) Then increase your "max out" by 5 secs each interval and cut your walking time down by 10 secs, for a total set time of 20-30 mins? confusing haha I'll search the net around for a bit and clarify my self.

Trying it over the distance/time seems like it would be more challenging, good call!

Try doing HIIT using the Tabata principle
Step 1)  For twenty seconds do as many reps of an exercse (preferably a compound exercise that involves major muscle groups) as intensely you can (you will probably have to use a lighter weight than you think)- then rest ten seconds.

Step 2) Repeat step 1, seven more times.

I tried this a day or two ago, doing dumbbell thrusters, i threw up, collapsed and was unable to move for about ten minutes, and I can't wait to do this again next week.  ;D :D

Hey, Interval training is great for building cardio but for fat burning not so much. Long and slow for burning fat, like at least 40 mins, of run, bike, x-country ski etc.
HIIT sure has a place, but shouldn't be all you do.
Opinions?

That's been the way of thinking for many years Fatwog, unfortunately, like many of our nutrition and exercises principles over the last 25 years or so, it's slowly being proven wrong. There is evidence that high intensity cardio burns body fat up to 9 times faster than typical 'long slow' low intensity cardio. Not only does it burn more calories and fat during the actual workout, but it forces your body to release hormones that will continue to burn fat several hours after you've finished working out!

Also, high intensity cardio is much less damaging to lean muscle mass than long bouts of aerobic exercise, which can actually burn up significant amounts of muscle tissue over time. (Fit FAQ & source)

Thats what I read when I looked into Tabata training.  You only do it for 4 minutes, but the effects (fat burning etc.) continue longer after you sit down.

Here is my question I am currently training 4 times a week in two forms or Martial Arts 3 nights threw the week and 3 hours on Saturdays. I am trying to come up with a program for wights and cardo in the mourning's with out burning my self out. Any suggestions

Fry said:
my suggestion is to lift iron and run around.

Dude, google weight lifting. I'm sure you'll find something decent to go by. Or, you CAN use the search on this site, unless you're afraid it'll bite you.
I have lots of information of just lifting weights , I was looking for someone that had been training in the mixed marital arts that has come up with a balanced plan. I know how to search the site and have found this site to have lots of people that are willing to help and give good advice untill know. Here is my sujestion if you don't have anything usefull to say try saying NADA. This is a sting about physical training is it not? Was my question not about physical training?

I'm into to MMA, this is my weekly routine;
Monday - AM Weights and Cardio = 90 mins
Monday - Pm Judo - 90 mins

Tuesday - Am Weights and Cardio = 90 mins
Tuesday - Pm TKD = 90 mins
Tuesday - Hockey = 60 mins

Wed - Pm Hockey = 60 mins

Thursday - AM Weights and Cardio = 90 mins
Thursday - Pm Judo = 90 mins
Thursday - Pm TKD = 90 mins

Friday - AM Weights and Cardio = 90 mins

Saturday - Hockey 60 mins

Sunday - Hockey 60 mins

Hope this helps

Sigtech, it depends, I vary my workouts every 2-3 weeks, going from strenght to "endurance" lifting. Right now i'm in a strenght phase so I'm doing 5x5 rep max set/reps. So I start with my 5 rep max weight and do that 5 times per set, it should work so that you can't lift 5 times or your fourth or fifth sets. You should look like (for example) 200 x5, 200x5, 200x5, 200x4, 200x3. If you can lift 5x for each set, then that weight is too lite. So my split is like this now,
Mon - Incline DB Bench Press & Incline Bicep Curl
Tues -Narrow Stance Squat & Calf Press in a press machine
Wed - Off
Thu - Pull Ups & Dips
Fri - Deadlift & Standing DB military press.

During "endurance" phases ( I quotate endurance because I don't like to refer to it that way, but I don't know how else to express it.) I lower the weight by about 10-15% and up the reps to 12 and the sets down to 4 so the scheme is 4x12. Also during this phase I like to do full body workouts. My fav routine for this is "hybrids" where you do a mixed bag of things and it's on a 5 day split so MWF I do this;

BBell Hangclean/Front Squat/Mil Press

Romanian Deadlift/Bent over row

Lat Pulldown >SuperSet 1 set of pulldowns, 1 set of chinups
Chinups>Superset

Db Incline Piston Press

Ab Circuit - Hanging Leg Raise, Oblique Swiss Ball Crunch, Plank, Cable Crunch

ON Tues/Thursday

Barbell split squat/overhead Press

Reverse Pushup>Superset 1 set of reverse pushups 1 set of dips
Dip>Superset

DB Lunge/Hammer Curl

Ab Circuit - Hanging Leg Raise, Oblique Swiss Ball Crunch, Plank, Cable Crunch

I have tons of programs if you want some.

Rhyno, I'd be interested to read some of your programs. Please send a PM when you get a chance...

A routine that was suggested to me and that I practice, though quite basic, was to find a high school track and start by sprinting 100m then doing a comfortable set of pushups, run another 100m and a comfortable set of situps, and repeat while gradually increasing your pushup and situp limits. When I say comfortable, I do mean the amount you feel necessary without overdoing it. While jogging is good it sets a limited plateau on your cardio exercise where the sprinting gives it the boost again and again.

I gues you can interpolate the routine with a weight exercise, if desired.

Cheers

Hey, this weekend I went to get a plantars wart removed. The doctor messed up and now I have a nasty chemical burn on the bottom of my foot and I'm popping T3's for a couple days. Is there any good cardiovascular exercised I could do to help keep my heart strong while I get through the healing process?

So does anybody have some advice? I'm getting pretty nervous that I can't go for runs right now because of this, and I don't want it to hamper me on basic (that I'm not running right now). I'm still working on my upper body strength, and have no problem pushing out 30 (or more with the right motivation) pushups in a set. I acually have a super high motabilism (I swear it feels like I drop 15 pounds if I miss a meal) and fear that if I'm not running right now it'll be like starting back up at square one.

Back