• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical Fitness (Jogging, Diet, Cardiovascular, and Strength )

atticus said:
So does anybody have some advice? I'm getting pretty nervous that I can't go for runs right now because of this, and I don't want it to hamper me on basic (that I'm not running right now). I'm still working on my upper body strength, and have no problem pushing out 30 (or more with the right motivation) pushups in a set.
so, ya can't run, eh? We'll see about that!

Nah, jus' messin' witcha. What you can do is a circuit training wherein you do push-ups then immediately a set of sit-ups, then 'supermans' (hyperextensions on the floor), then a set of crunches, then a set of wide-grip push-ups, then, etc, etc, etc....see crossfit.com for some arse-kickin' circuits. The trick is not to rest between the sets of each movement, but to keep your heart rate up. It'll have to do until you can run again.

How's that?

keep your heart rate up for 30 - 40 minutes if you can! You should be just as winded after one of these workouts as you would be after a run. If not, you're screwing the pooch, and I'll be by later to kick your arse.

no, acually thats what I'd like to say but truthfully, its because I worked in the oilfield for awhile installing wellheads and putting them together. Lifting all the parts and putting them together is really quite the workout. Next thing I know when I go to workout now I'm doing twice the amount that I was able to do before.

atticus said:
no, acually thats what I'd like to say but truthfully, its because I worked in the oilfield for awhile installing wellheads and putting them together. Lifting all the parts and putting them together is really quite the workout. Next thing I know when I go to workout now I'm doing twice the amount that I was able to do before.
this is why I've recommended switching your workouts around periodically. (Don't recall offhand if I put that in "my" PT thread or not.)

But, you should stick with a workout plan for about 6 weeks, then switch it up. Throw in cross-training, use dumb-bells only, find a new athletic endeavour, do something different. Your body will change to adapt to the new stressors.

atticus, you were cross-training. Using the upper body in a new way, so it adapted.

paracowboy said:
this is why I've recommended switching your workouts around periodically. (Don't recall offhand if I put that in "my" PT thread or not.)

But, you should stick with a workout plan for about 6 weeks, then switch it up. Throw in cross-training, use dumb-bells only, find a new athletic endeavour, do something different. Your body will change to adapt to the new stressors.

atticus, you were cross-training. Using the upper body in a new way, so it adapted.
Folks at the age of 42 I did what Para is telling you and I beat some of the 18,19 yr olds I was competeing against for a over seas tour as a Militia on pre selection,throw swimming into the mix as swimming uses every muscle in your body and it's low impact but builds muscle and is easy on the bod.

I am a new Infantry reservist and have been training in cardio and strength for years, but I am never sure when the right time to work out legs is. By working out legs I mean with heavy weights. Is it best to do on the off days, or before or after a run? If anyone has any input on the subject I would appreciate it.  :D

AWood said:
I am a new Infantry reservist and have been training in cardio and strength for years, but I am never sure when the right time to work out legs is. By working out legs I mean with heavy weights. Is it best to do on the off days, or before or after a run? If anyone has any input on the subject I would appreciate it.  :D

I'm not sure what you mean by "off" days, you should incorporate legs into your already existing weight-lifting routine.

i.e. if you use a split-routine, you can work:

Mon: chest / triceps
Wed: shoulders / back
Fri:    legs / biceps

..or however you wish to combine them.

Do *not* work your legs after a run. If you can help it at all, don't run on days that you lift. If you're short for time and have to do both in the same day, then lift before doing your cardio.

midgetcop said:
If you can help it at all, don't run on days that you lift. If you're short for time and have to do both in the same day, then lift before doing your cardio.

Don't get the wrong idea though, it is highly encouraged to start all work outs off with some cardio, whether it be a 2 minute jog on the tredmil or 2 minutes with a skipping rope, to help prevent straining your cold muscles.  :salute:
Chris

MacKenzie1NSH said:
Don't get the wrong idea though, it is highly encouraged to start all work outs off with some cardio, whether it be a 2 minute jog on the tredmil or 2 minutes with a skipping rope, to help prevent straining your cold muscles.   :salute:
Chris

Of course. A 5-min warmup is always necessary to get the heartrate up.  :)

Thanks for the tips on leg training. By off days I meant days I dont run, usually Sat, Sun. What I am concerned about is over working the muscles, and preventing injury. Thanks guys. :blotto:

As a soldier, is running about 6-7 km and up five days week enough of a leg workout? Is weight training essential, and what types of leg routine are best suited for muscle endurance/strength? Any suggestions greatly appreciated, Thanks. :salute:

AWood said:
As a soldier, is running about 6-7 km and up five days week enough of a leg workout? Is weight training essential, and what types of leg routine are best suited for muscle endurance/strength? Any suggestions greatly appreciated, Thanks. :salute:

Running by itself won't do much for your legs (unless you're a beginner -- then it builds basic endurance).

IMHO weight training ALL major muscle groups is essential, especially legs.

Squats are a great overall exercise that will not only work all your leg muscles at once, but will also build strength in your back, abs, and hip flexors. Depending on how much weight you use it  can be used to work on both strength AND endurance.

If you're looking for some good advice, check out my fave fitness site:

discussfitness.com

(note to mods: I don't work for them, I swear!)

AWood said:
As a soldier, is running about 6-7 km and up five days week enough of a leg workout?
In my personal opinion: no. But many do it.

Is weight training essential,
again, in my personal opinion: yes

what types of leg routine are best suited for muscle endurance/strength?
the running you do (and start increasing your distance, by the way. Aim for 10 km.) is okay for endurance training. You need to start to incorporate heavy lifting cycles, light weight/high set cycles, and plyometrics for explosive power.

For infantry, what all does the battle efficiancy test consist of? I know a ruck march, trench dig, and running, but I don't know how long  you have to complete each one or how far of a distance it is. Can anyone let me know? :salute:
Chris

jo-dionne said:
Does anyone can help me with the VO2 max formula?

Last stage completed: â ¦
Final pulse: â ¦
O2 cost: â ¦

Predicted VO2
17.2 + (1.29 x "O2 cost⠝) - (0.09 x "wt in kg⠝) - (0.18 x "age in yrs⠝)

How to determine the O2 cost?
17.2 + (1.29 x "O2 cost⠝) - (0.09 x 78) - (0.18 x 30)

My PT has been rescheduled on Jan 10, 09:00 (CFB Valcartier gym.) and I will be sworn in the next morning (Jan 11) at 07:15 (conditional to my PT results).
I cannot emphasis how much I need not to fail my PT!

Regards,
DIONNE, J
Quebec City

Try this web site, it might be right...

http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/maxhr.htm

The easiest and best known method to calculate your maximum heart rate (MHR) is to use the formula MHR=220 - Age. A paper by Londeree and Moeschberger (1982) from the University of Missouri-Columbia indicates that the MHR varies mostly with age, but the relationship is not a linear one. They suggest an alternative formula of MHR=206.3 - (0.711 x Age). Similarly, Miller et al (1993) from Indiana University propose the formula MHR=217 - (0.85 x Age) as a suitable formula to calculate MHR.....

Thanks MacKenzie CS,

I have browsed and read each page of this site, however since each formula give different results, so I prefer to use the formula provided by the CF!

CFB Esquimalt (Personnel Support Programs)
http://www.pspesquimalt.ca/fitness/testing/step_test.shtml

Finding Target Heart Rate: (THR)

220 - Age = A (max HR)
    A X 0.7 (70% max HR) = B (min THR)
    A X 0.9 (90% of max HR) = C (max THR)

220 - 30 = 190
    190 x 0.7 = 133 (min THR)
    190 x 0.9 = 171 (max THR)

So, according to this formula, my THR is between 133 and 171 beats per minute.

Regards,
DIONNE, J
Quebec City

Have you ever heard of 5BX training, look for it on the net and you shall find it. It takes 15 min a day but it'll whip you into shape or at least get you ready to whip yourself into shape. All it takes is:

running- 2klm/day every 2nd
pushups- 5 sets 10 every 2nd day... max out ever other
situps- max out every 2nd day... rest every other
pullups- go commando! 3 sets 5 (if you got what it takes and if not do regular!)
if you can swim try to get in 3-5 lengths or laps

NUTRITION: fats: 30-50%                           
                  protien: 20-30
                  carbs: 50-70%

REMEMBER!!! eat healthy foods like fish, rice , potatoes, fibres, whole grain foods etc...

One aspect of physical fitness people tend to overlook is ruck marching, it's very benefical if you load up your ruck with way to much weight and do as much as you can.

Naturally when you have to carry you napsack its alot easier.

I call it a napsack

Dimmer,
If you are talking about physical fitness for ST Jean (basic training). The instructors don't make actual evaluations as to you physical fitness, what we do is look at your performance while doing things like push-ups, sit ups and jogging. There is a CF wide PT test that all recruits have to pass, it is called the CF Express Test. It is made up of Push-ups, Sit ups, hand grip strength, and a 20 metre shuttle run. Part of the Express test is checking your blood pressure and something called VO2 max, I'm not completely sure what that is, sorry. If you are trying to prepare for basic training then I would recommend you start jogging, doing push-ups(minimum 25 per set, different times thruout the day), sit-ups(same thing) and if you are a smoker, i would quit if i were you. Also there is a swimming test that you have to do, which includes jumping off a 15 foot diving board and treading water for 2 minutes. Other than that just a regular workout routine to increase strength and fitness should serve you well. I you have any questions you can post them here or write to me directly.
Marc Feetham (Instructor CFLRS St Jean)

Back