• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Philippines may declare war with Canada over trash

jeffb said:
Wouldn't that trigger Article 5 of NATO? The Philippines versus NATO would be awkward for everyone involved seeing as they are a key US ally in the region...

I, for one, look forward to Albania's response.

jeffb said:
Wouldn't that trigger Article 5 of NATO? The Philippines versus NATO would be awkward for everyone involved seeing as they are a key US ally in the region...

Not necessarily.  Article 5 stipulates an "armed attack" as the basis for a mutual response.  Even if someone "declared war" on Canada without engaging in any physical attack then the other members of NATO may not be obliged to join us in the non-fight.  And even if that other country attacked one of our naval vessels (or aircraft or forces), it doesn't necessarily trigger Article 5.  Article 6 explains.

For the purpose of Article 5, an armed attack on one or more of the Parties is deemed to include an armed attack:

•on the territory of any of the Parties in Europe or North America, on the Algerian Departments of France 2, on the territory of Turkey or on the Islands under the jurisdiction of any of the Parties in the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer;

•on the forces, vessels, or aircraft of any of the Parties, when in or over these territories or any other area in Europe in which occupation forces of any of the Parties were stationed on the date when the Treaty entered into force or the Mediterranean Sea or the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer.

If our ship, or aircraft or forces were outside the territorial boundaries of Canada, or at sea in other than the North Atlantic or the Med then the same would apply, our allies don't have to respond.  Example - Falklands.

ballz said:
Neither country has the capability to actually conduct an expeditionary operation, particularly across the Pacific ocean... the logistics just aren't there. The whole thing is just comical.

Really?  Air Canada has regular passenger and cargo service to Manila.  Gotta think outside the box!

Haggis said:
Really?  Air Canada has regular passenger and cargo service to Manila.  Gotta think outside the box!

Or inside the box.  The box on the cargo plane.  Jam it full of wolverines and let loose.  Or beavers.  Beavers make a hell of a mess to an ecosystem.

Go soviet style using commercial aircraft like they did in Afghanistan?

MilEME09 said:
Go soviet style using commercial aircraft like they did in Afghanistan?
And collect Air Miles to offset the cost of redeployment.

It's spelled "Philippines". I know it's often confusing and hard to spell.

Back on the topic, please do not pay attention to this president. He enjoys the attention. Let's not give him any of that. He always spits out absurd claims such as eradicating drug problem in the Philippines within the first 6 months of his term. Forward to 2019, he has not done much. He does not represent the Filipino people.

jessi said:
He always spits out absurd claims such as eradicating drug problem in the Philippines within the first 6 months of his term. Forward to 2019, he has not done much.
Guess he should have bought them there Canadian helicopters after all.

But maybe better for us he didn't, since we have no air defense  :eek:

"I will declare war against them. I will advise Canada that your garbage is on the way. Prepare a grand reception. Eat it if you want to ... Your garbage is coming home."
This guy is hilarious. I hope he does ship the garbage back. All 100 containers of 5 year old shitty diapers and garbage.

Back