• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Parachutist wings from cadets on my PRes or RegF uniform

• Thread starter silentseaforthsoldier
  • Start date
lol. im still thinking very seriously about "gruntifying" myself. im into all that outdoor stuff which we don‘t do much in Air cadets. Maybe a weekend here and there but thats about it. I was asking this Question because i am goin to try for the QOR‘s Para Coy.

Hello, the summer of 2005 I am planning on attending para and was wondering for people who have done it. what is the most physically challenging thing? I have read some of the on line diary's and journals of para but I'd still like more info. I can do 12 chin ups, 70 push ups, 55 sit ups and I know I can run the qualification distance in the time allowed but still. I have a year to train what should I work on?

This has been talked about a billion times.

If you can do that just keep fit, practice running LONG distances stoping once and a while and doing push up chin ups sit ups ect...

yes is right you only need to run 1,5 km in 6;30
30 siht-up and 7 chain up

Use a spell checker BDR, then get your facts straight.

Minimum standards are as follows:

7 Chinups, 31 Situps in a Minute, and a 1.6KM (1Mile) run in 7:30.

You should be shooting for the maximum amount of everything and the lowest time to ensure you qualify for the course, lots of cadets try for it.

and east side, when you get your wings, you are airborne..  you just aren't a paratrooper. 

make sure your chin ups are straight armed...  thats all i can help with.  i am training myself to hopefully get ion that course asap...

East Side Soprano said:
Cadets have a stupid obsession with Para. Para does not make you hardcore, being in a tough unit and having your **** together makes you hardcore. People assigned to logistics units can do the para course...airborne Quartermaster!!! Hooo-aahhh!!! Hardly seems all that hardcore. If some punk came to me showing off his wings telling me hes better than I am, I'd kick his a*s, wings or no wings. Don't waste your remaining summer in Cadets doing para is you didn't do an exchange and especially if your not gonna do reg force or reserves, its a waste of time. Otherwise you go on into civilian life with your wings, get fat, collect unemplyment benefits etc...be smart, don't do para for bragging rights, make the most out of cadets, do an exchange, travel the world for free, do para once your actually IN the army.

I understand what you are saying but I would not be saying this like that. I am from a Logistics corp. 2 years ago we sent a cadet to para and we are again this year. I plan to do it next year aswell. as well I don't believe that you can judge cadets by there affiliated unit. I had to chose betwen a good corp with Logistics as their affiliated unit of a slack corp with the 1st hussiars have the good corp. You cant judge by what the unit does.

thats just my 2 cents.
:cdn:

r than going to do para and having to use their boards make a difference? Should I train with a board instead?

i personally find doing chin-ups with boards easier, because it keeps your wrist straight.  i would train with both.... use weights too, if you can do the chin ups with weight resistance, it will help you out a lot.  r u loaded on this summers course?

No I'm only 15 until July 29th so I can't get into it this year  :crybaby: But next year I will be going. Weight Resistance thats a good Idea thanks. How many should I be able to do with just me?

the min requirment is 7. but they are straight arm.  all the way up and all the way down.....  i woulod do a lot of push ups too, i know they arent in the pt test, but you will be doing a lot of them on course...

MikeM said:
Minimum standards are as follows:

7 Chinups, 31 Situps in a Minute, and a 1.6KM (1Mile) run in 7:30.

You should be shooting for the maximum amount of everything and the lowest time to ensure you qualify for the course, lots of cadets try for it.

If these are the min standards then I already surpass that.   I'm not tooting my own horn here but my point is this.. all I'm trying to do is make it to basic as a SigOp and what is frustrating me is there may be an issue with my med file.   Without going into great detail because it's personal, it's not even an issue and has no effect on me physically but because I answered "yes" on my med file (wanted to be honest) it could potentially hinder my chances of making it to basic at the end of this month.   Grrrrrr!

Okay guys...this topic has been beaten...nay...SLAUGHTERED in threads already. But just to satisfy your curiosity, we did normal chin-ups on pre-course in Connaught; 3 sets of 7 at first. The way this would work is the guys would make 3 lines for each bar. One at a time (and in our own time) we would do 7, then go back of the line, and eventually do another 7 when we made it to the front of the line, and so on until we did 3 sets total. It was upped during week to to 8 sometimes. Once in Trenton, you do 5 every time you go in and out of the CPC (Canadian Parachute Center) on a board. Muscular endurance (and endurance in general) is key. Best of luck for next year, Sgt_McWatt, and to you for this year MikeM.

Also, best of luck to you, GFU...hope you have a blast(no pun intended)

Well, I hope this helps.  With the exception of the initial p.t. tests, you will never do more than 25 push ups at a time, 5 chin ups, your probably not going to do any sit ups, and as for running it has been covered about 1000 times on this board.  If you pay attention to how I described what you will do, you will know that being able to do 70 pushups means absolutely nothing and you are wasting your time trying to increase that number, you will however have to do thousands of sets of 25 pushups.  So make sure you can do 25, stand up, get in trouble for something else, do another 25, stand up, hit the deck again for another 25 and so on, you wont do very many chinups, but during one of your classes, you will be using those muscles a lot more than you ever thought you could, try doing a chin up, and holding your chin above the bar for as long as you can, then under control come back down, do it again, then try it holding your legs out in front of you, bent at the waist at as close to 90 degrees as you can, and hold it.  See if you can stay with your chin up past the bar for eventually 10 minutes, 15.  As for situps, with the exception of the test at the start and occasionally during P.T., your not going to do them, instead you might want to read up on the 5 points of flight procedure, particularly the 5th point.  Also to make your life easier when you get there, try this, take a rope, loop it around one of your shoulders, down beside your groin, (make sure it is the same side as the shoulder that you started from), from there go across your back over the other shoulder and down on the other side of your "area".  Sit down and bring your chest to your thighs, tighten the rope and tie it off.  Stand up, if you can, now try the pushups and situps and running.  Imagine wearing it everyday for 3 weeks, and you will be gold.  Do not let the requirements for the P.T. test lead you to believe that this course will be easy in any way.  Good luck and I hope I helped at least a little bit.

yeah, good luck Sgt McWatt...you'll get in, i have faith in you  ^-^

East side soprano has a point, although I don't regret doing the course, looking back, I probably should have planned ahead a bit.  Now, joining the regular force, infantry, I find myself almost wishing I'd gone to Scotland, or done MLE instead, just because now I realise that I'll get the chance to do Para, but maybe going on a cultural tour or going to Rocky Mountain, well unless I get a GD position or something, there's absolutely NO way that I'll have those opprotunities.  Sgt. McWatt, he is not bashing the Logistics, he is simply saying that its anyone's course, and just because you pass it, does not make you much more than a lot of people.  I was ALMOST just like he said about getting out of cadets and doing shit all,  I was working a factory job building car seats for Honda.  Someone asked me about my tattoo (wings), he said there is a guy who works in the back with the same one.  I went to go introduce myself, I got back there and it was a big fat (had to be pushing 300lbs) 20something, sweaty guy standing there.  That day I got off work and went straight to the CFRC in Toronto.  I almost totally wasted my wings on myself.  Since the course I gained about 25 pounds, I went soft.  That guy set me real straight, I've worked it all off and am now in better shape than I was when I did the course.  The moral of the story is plan ahead, and don't fail your wings, because when you realise you have, looking in the mirror is a lot harder than looking over the ramp at 1250' knowing that in about .2 seconds your steppin off.

Back