• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Options if I choose not to resign after initial contract

kdomes

Inactive
Reaction score
I have just under two years until the end of my initial contract. I enlisted as a ncm sep and have an initial contract of 5 years. I have really enjoyed my time in the forces but I think it might be in my beat interest not to resign for my 25 years.. I was wondering what options are available if I choose no to sign.

First off will I be entitled to a paid move back to where I enrolled? And if so can I choose a different location if it is cheaper for the CAF? And are there any other benifits available after an initial contract?

A friend of mine was in a similar position last year and his benefits amounted to a hand shake and a luncheon.  You do not get a move nor do you get severance pay anymore nor a return of contributions for you pension....

kdomes said:
I have really enjoyed my time in the forces but I think it might be in my beat interest not to resign for my 25 years.

Depending on your trade, you may have the option of being offered a 5 year CE instead of IE25. Would give you the flexibility of staying in for a few years to upgrade your benefits while having a good salary, but without a long term commitment.

PuckChaser said:
Depending on your trade, you may have the option of being offered a 5 year CE instead of IE25. Would give you the flexibility of staying in for a few years to upgrade your benefits while having a good salary, but without a long term commitment.

I had a mbr get out this year after 13 YOS and all he got was a lump sum that he could transfer to a closed retirement account....  I don't think you get a move anymore until you a pensionable.

D3 said:
I don't think you get a move anymore until you a pensionable.

Earlier this year I released with 7 years of Reg Force time(completed TOS). I received a paid move, as well as a HHT, etc.

-Skeletor- said:
I had 7 years in the Reg Force, and I had a paid move when I released earlier this year.

You are right, I just looked at the CF Relocation Directive and with less than 20 YOS you do get a move if releasing on completing TOS.  Both cases I referenced above the mbrs had not completed their current TOS.

I assumed I would get a paid move back to where I enrolled.  Again this would be upon competion of my initial 5 year contract.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2011-2012-directive-ch14.page?#art-14-02-03

The verbiage states:  "Place of enrolment or any location provided that the cost does not exceed the move to the place of enrolment.  Reimbursement of benefits as per art 14.3.07."

Back