• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer occupations – Which one should I choose?

DAA said:
So when you say "they've said they have yet to receive it" do you mean the CFRC has NOT received anything or was it received but now your CFRC is possibly waiting for the paperwork to come back from your local Reserve Unit?

Actually what happened according to the guys at the CFRC is that North Bay marked the paperwork as "sent", but they never received it from the CFVRC.
I went in a few weeks ago and talked to a PO there (I am not sure if I am allowed to say names here), he said that there was likely a filing error on North Bay's end and that he would communicate with the file manager there and see where it is.
I haven't had any sort of communication with them since, and I don't want to come across as impatient or annoying so I've been hesitant to go in again.

Alas! I went in with my reliability screening forms and I have a CFAT scheduled for Oct 1st. 1 week tomorrow.
I'm told I should brush up on my long division. I have a super technical mind so I'm not worried about that part. Anything I might need to practice more for an excellent score?

Getting so close! hoping for a spring BMQ date!

In other news, I am now a legal hunter in all of ontario! Going to bag my first buck sometime this fall!

steiner0400 said:
<snip> I have a CFAT scheduled for Oct 1st. 1 week tomorrow.
I'm told I should brush up on my long division. I have a super technical mind so I'm not worried about that part. Anything I might need to practice more for an excellent score?

A few discussions about CFAT math.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/109763/post-1214925.html#msg1214925

For general CFAT advice,

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) FAQ
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23193.0

mariomike said:
A few discussions about CFAT math.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/109763/post-1214925.html#msg1214925

For general CFAT advice,

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) FAQ
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/23193.0
well, thanks.

The second link Ive already scanned, No real help there. The first one however, has several links with it and those links just scare me further. Im going to stick with my gut and advice of the recruiters and practice division and multiplication. everything else will be left to chance and instinct.. It is an aptitude test after all...

Applied to logi officer, finally got results for pre-security interview (this process took over a year) and they said there are no security objections and they will book an interview and medical very soon.
Hopefully I have a yes or no by November selection.
Having been through all this process for this long I have a good feeling that I will get in, hopefully....

One question guys.
BTW as far as foreign deployments go do we soldiers have a choice or we have to go wherever we are deployed? I remember that a recruiter said we have to be willing to go wherever we are deployed but I am not 100% sure on my memory, just want to double check.

Van Gogh said:
Applied to logi officer, finally got results for pre-security interview (this process took over a year) and they said there are no security objections and they will book an interview and medical very soon.
Hopefully I have a yes or no by November selection.
Having been through all this process for this long I have a good feeling that I will get in, hopefully....

One question guys.
BTW as far as foreign deployments go do we soldiers have a choice or we have to go wherever we are deployed? I remember that a recruiter said we have to be willing to go wherever we are deployed but I am not 100% sure on my memory, just want to double check.

Glad to hear your almost there.

From my understanding, soldiers are chosen and given a deployment date. From what my brother told us (my mother and I) he was told no sooner than 2 weeks before his deployment, so I wouldnt expect any real notice or 'offer' for deployment...

Van Gogh said:
One question guys.

I think the Forces personnel do not have a choice. In the regular force, deployment is not voluntary, whereas in the Reserve Force deployment is voluntary. There are many things that can influence one's deployment: i.e Personnel Evaluation Report (P.E.R), fitness operational deployment standards, military occupation and length of Terms of Service (contract) circumstances etc. However, following Canada's peacekeeping motto, a soldier needs to be prepared and ready to go wherever in somebody's hour of need.

steiner0400 said:
Glad to hear your almost there.

From my understanding, soldiers are chosen and given a deployment date. From what my brother told us (my mother and I) he was told no sooner than 2 weeks before his deployment, so I wouldnt expect any real notice or 'offer' for deployment...

Thanks bud

Yeah really excited. Have wanted a forces career since forever, even now when I have a decent job I will stop it for the CF thats how much I want it.
So If I got what u told right than I will receive a job offer only 2 weeks before deployment? Or I will receive a deployment notice only 2 weeks before deployment?

nn1988 said:
I think the Forces personnel do not have a choice. In the regular force, deployment is not voluntary, whereas in the Reserve Force deployment is voluntary. There are many things that can influence one's deployment: i.e Personnel Evaluation Report (P.E.R), fitness operational deployment standards, military occupation and length of Terms of Service (contract) circumstances etc. However, following Canada's peacekeeping motto, a soldier needs to be prepared and ready to go wherever in somebody's hour of need.

Well than I hope that by than I am ready to be deployed mentally and physically  :salute:

wait a minute. You arent referring to the actual term "deployment" youre referring to the time you get sent to BMQ. They will tell you when your BMQ date is, but you have to accept the job offer in order to be given a date.

Deployment is when you go over seas to WAR.

BMQ is when you get trained to be a soldier. You then have your trade specific training and so on and so on until youre a fully qualified individual for your field.

I wouldnt even be thinking about any type of deployment right now since its unlikely that we (canada) will be in any MAJOR conflict for a while... Unless there is something serious in the near future.

Get your training first, then worry about being in the front.

steiner0400 said:
wait a minute. You arent referring to the actual term "deployment" youre referring to the time you get sent to BMQ. They will tell you when your BMQ date is, but you have to accept the job offer in order to be given a date.

Deployment is when you go over seas to WAR.

BMQ is when you get trained to be a soldier. You then have your trade specific training and so on and so on until youre a fully qualified individual for your field.

I wouldnt even be thinking about any type of deployment right now since its unlikely that we (canada) will be in any MAJOR conflict for a while... Unless there is something serious in the near future.

Get your training first, then worry about being in the front.

Ok thanks for the notes.
I think BMQ is at set dates 4 times a year no? So from there I can kind of know when my BMQ will be even now (given I get in).

Van Gogh said:
Ok thanks for the notes.
I think BMQ is at set dates 4 times a year no? So from there I can kind of know when my BMQ will be even now (given I get in).

There are a set number of courses per year, but they start (normally) at 1 month intervals. Here's a link to a post which has this years dates as a general guideline for what to expect.

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/110133.0

steiner0400 said:
There are a set number of courses per year, but they start (normally) at 1 month intervals. Here's a link to a post which has this years dates as a general guideline for what to expect.

http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/110133.0

Thanks for the link.
According to that dates the last course in this year 2013 begins on July 15th and ends on October 17th.
Well as its already October does it mean that I will not be in the army until next year when the first course is started on say April 2014 (based on 2013 estimate of April 15h?)

Van Gogh said:
Thanks for the link.
According to that dates the last course in this year 2013 begins on July 15th and ends on October 17th.
Well as its already October does it mean that I will not be in the army until next year when the first course is started on say April 2014 (based on 2013 estimate of April 15h?)

Its quite likely that the current group of applicants will not be in BMQ until at least spring of 2014.

nn1988 said:
Negative.

BMQ (recruits) in the near future:

September 30, 2013
October 14, 2013
October 28, 2013
November 18, 2013

CAF have moved their specifics, data & material/instructions website for CFLRS to the following index page > http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school.page

I stand corrected. however, I dont think that any of the people who are in the beginning stages (no further than first contact and cfat) will be in these set course dates

nn1988 said:
Negative.

BMQ (recruits) in the near future:

September 30, 2013
October 14, 2013
October 28, 2013
November 18, 2013

CAF have moved their specifics, data & material/instructions website for CFLRS to the following index page > http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school.page

Well so there is a selection in fall too?
I believe there was so too n November !!!
So I have a chance to get in this year.

You have to be given a job offer before you get a Course Date for BMQ. Some will get on this fall/winter, some won't. There are only a handful of positions available and many many applicants. It's a tight race.

PrairieThunder said:
You have to be given a job offer before you get a Course Date for BMQ. Some will get on this fall/winter, some won't. There are only a handful of positions available and many many applicants. It's a tight race.

How do you know there are a lot of applicants?  (specifically for logi). I would take the word of recruiters with a grain of salt.

So even if u make it to the final interview and medical it still doesn't mean that there is a good chance u will get the job offer?
Seems kind of unlikely after so much recruiting time/effort they themselves put into my file. My way of thinking is they must have thought I am a good match to do all this for me so far. Might be wrong though and it might just be a procedure....

Even if there is a lot of competition I think I will have a decent shot at the position from my degree (UofT Commerece accounting) as well as very good work experience. Damn I make more now in my position than I will in the army, they must realize that I want to join the army because I myself actually want it. You guys know what I mean? 8)

Van Gogh said:
How do you know there are a lot of applicants?  (specifically for logi).

Because if there wasn't, people here who applied for it would have gotten job offers already. If they're running merit boards that means they have more applicants than positions.

PuckChaser said:
Because if there wasn't, people here who applied for it would have gotten job offers already. If they're running merit boards that means they have more applicants than positions.

Pretty much what this guys said, Van Gogh... Expect to be merit listed. Depending on how high you score amungst everyone else, you could get a call next month, or in a year or two... It all depends on how you 'WOW' the CF. It doesn's only depend on your education, and it also has nothing to do with 'how bad' you want to be in the army VS anyone else's want for being in the army.

Im not trying to burst any bubbles, just trying to keep your feet on solid ground.

Are you strictly interested in LOGI? If you just want in, why not check with your recruiter to see what other related positions are availible and you're a little more competitive for.

Best of luck still.

N

Back