• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Officer occupations – Which one should I choose?

Van Gogh said:
No I have given them just 1 choice, logistics officer.
I wonder if they would consider me for other potential positions though ... (Wouldn't mind intelligence or military police officer positions as well)

Is it possible to contact them and add those positions do my list if it would increase my chances of getting into the army? Or is it too late?

I actually just returned from my recruitment center, put a lot of thought into it and switched my #1 choice to artillery.

STJ_Kierstead said:
I actually just returned from my recruitment center, put a lot of thought into it and switched my #1 choice to artillery.

Wow man thats a huge change, what was your initial choice and what prompted you to change it?

My 1st and only choice was logistics. Now contemplating on adding other 2 options as well to increase my chances of landing an army offer, which ones would you guys suggest?

I am tempted to add the intelligence officer as #2 and military police officer as #3, any feedback about those 2 and if they are good choices for a person with commerce degree?

first choice was actually signals officer,
friend of mine who knows me pretty well suggested this as that is his trade.

after reading through the messages, one thing that stuck with me was "do something new, something completely new" - and then today after speaking with my recruiter, we got on the topic of artilary.  after asking some questions and him giving me his experience [it is his trade] - I decided i would be more interested and it would be a bit more along the lines of what i had in mind in the first place.

I did not really qualift for sig officer anyways, my degree did not fall into the required - it is in demand rite now, so he said i could still attempt to get in, but as i said i would be a little bit of a long-stretch to be accepted.

I am joining part time reserves, so i think for me to stay as interested as i can for years to come - something exciting is what i need, explosives, shooting, tactical planning etc. glad i made the switch allready, no cheap shots towards signals officers but noone knows me as good as me, and i feel artillery is a better fit. it was a great meeting with the recruiter, very helpful.

cheers

STJ_Kierstead said:

after reading through the messages, one thing that stuck with me was "do something new, something completely new" - and then today after speaking with my recruiter, we got on the topic of artilary.  after asking some questions and him giving me his experience [it is his trade] - I decided i would be more interested and it would be a bit more along the lines of what i had in mind in the first place.

I did not really qualift for sig officer anyways, my degree did not fall into the required - it is in demand rite now, so he said i could still attempt to get in, but as i said i would be a little bit of a long-stretch to be accepted.

I am joining part time reserves, so i think for me to stay as interested as i can for years to come - something exciting is what i need, explosives, shooting, tactical planning etc. glad i made the switch allready, no cheap shots towards signals officers but noone knows me as good as me, and i feel artillery is a better fit. it was a great meeting with the recruiter, very helpful.

cheers

Interesting choice but as far as the excitement goes (at least the type u seem to be looking for if I am not wrong) you should have really considered Infantry and Armoured Officer positions as well. They seem pretty exciting !!!

Anyone know if business background (commerce) is acceptable for intelligence or army police officers? I am thinking of adding them as my 2nd and 3rd choices respectively to increase my chances of getting into the army if possible.

STJ_Kierstead said:
cheers

I am confused!  Are you applying for Regular Force or Reserve Force?

DAA said:
I am confused!  Are you applying for Regular Force or Reserve Force?

He is definitely applying for Reserves.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/111471/post-1244893.html#msg1244893

What do you guys think is it worth (and possible) adding 2nd and 3rd profession choices for my army application which is in progress to increase my chances of getting into the army?
Thinking of adding intelligence officer and military police officer to my 1st choice which is logistics officer ...

Only add trades that you are willing to work at there is no point in putting them in if you don't see yourself doing that job no point in enrolling if you hate the job they give you.

Van Gogh said:
What do you guys think is it worth (and possible) adding 2nd and 3rd profession choices for my army application which is in progress to increase my chances of getting into the army?
Thinking of adding intelligence officer and military police officer to my 1st choice which is logistics officer ...

It is definitely worth it to consider every option available to you. You shouldn't look to settle for something when there could be another trade that can potentially make you even happier. You should contact your local recruiting center and ask them which trades your degree qualifies you for. Then do as much research in to those trades as possible, so you can get a rough idea of what the day to day life is like, and then sit down with yourself, and maybe even your friends and family, and decide if you could see yourself doing that job for many years. Be realistic. It is easy to say "I will be happy in any job in the Army", but be honest with yourself. It is probably better for you to wait 1-2 years to have a better chance at getting a job you REALLY want, rather than accept something else you just put on to "get in the army."

Yes you guys say only pursue a job u see yourself doing, but come on, unless u do it u may never know that u will or will not really like it.
Yes there is a big difference between the jobs of logistics officers, but I believe the fact of working in the army kind of evens out any job, ultimately you are a military person working in the army, no matter what particular job you do.

I do indeed have a preference for logistics and intelligence officer, and if I know that patience will pay off eventually than sure, I can wait a year or two. But i am not sure about this.
Is there a big demand difference between logistics officers and intelligence officers because if they are hiring few of intelligence officers than my applying there doesn`t even make that much sense anyways....

Van Gogh said:
Yes you guys say only pursue a job u see yourself doing, but come on, unless u do it u may never know that u will or will not really like it.
Yes there is a big difference between the jobs of logistics officers, but I believe the fact of working in the army kind of evens out any job, ultimately you are a military person working in the army, no matter what particular job you do.

I do indeed have a preference for logistics and intelligence officer, and if I know that patience will pay off eventually than sure, I can wait a year or two. But i am not sure about this.
Is there a big demand difference between logistics officers and intelligence officers because if they are hiring few of intelligence officers than my applying there doesn`t even make that much sense anyways....

Many people already make connections....

Construction Engineering/Combat Engineering... Can you see yourself building temp bases, FOBs, COPs, bridges, route clearance?

Logistics... Can you see yourself being an administrator, paper pusher?

MPO... Can you see yourself doing PR, maybe an investigation or two, mainly admin?

Intel... Can you see yourself sitting in a office type setting, intercepting radio commss?

I knew right from Grade 10, I'm not a desk person. So I became Armoured because I love the smell of diesel and get wood from explosions; but I hate carrying 100 pounds and... Desk work lol.

(This is just general, don't jack me up too much... I'm on a prescription of beer, oral, xMany)

Van Gogh said:

You definitely know more than we do about your career goals and interests, we are just trying to give you some advice from our outside look at things. Like I have said, your degree might not even qualify you for direct entry to any other trades you are considering. So your first step is to figure out if your degree will allow you to apply for direct entry, and then you can really put some serious thought and research in to other trade choices.

Van Gogh said:

Lose the  "MSN SPEAK"

DAA - in my post i states "I am joining part time reserves" - did something i said in the post not make sense, little confused.

STJ_Kierstead said:
DAA - in my post i states "I am joining part time reserves" - did something i said in the post not make sense, little confused.

Nope, understood, I just wanted to be sure it was a Res F application.  Good luck!!!

thank you sir :), the recruiter informed me yesterday the aptitude and medical could be as soon as 08/19-23 - heres to hoping!!

p.s little question - do they do the medical before the fitness, to ensure you are in fine shape before permitting you to take the testing?

and after you have the apititude, medical --> do the physical, they use all the information gathered, review - interview and go over everything and if successful offer you a position with reserves?

*i have read all kinds of threads and surely have seen this information, just kind of popped into my head figured i would ask :)*

STJ_Kierstead said:
thank you sir :), the recruiter informed me yesterday the aptitude and medical could be as soon as 08/19-23 - heres to hoping!!
p.s little question - do they do the medical before the fitness, to ensure you are in fine shape before permitting you to take the testing?
and after you have the apititude, medical --> do the physical, they use all the information gathered, review - interview and go over everything and if successful offer you a position with reserves?
*i have read all kinds of threads and surely have seen this information, just kind of popped into my head figured i would ask :)*

As far as I know, the Recruiter from the Reserve Unit will forward your files to the local CFRC who in turn will arrange with PSP for you to be fitness tested.  Whether this occurs before or after the medical and interview, I have no idea.  I can only assume that the medical would or should be done prior to administering a fitness test.

DAA said:
As far as I know, the Recruiter from the Reserve Unit will arrange for you to be fitness tested.  Whether this occurs before or after the medical and interview, I have no idea.  I can only assume that the medical would or should be done prior to administering a fitness test.

Unless things have changed recently, the CFRC was still conducting the Fitness Test to all Reserve applicants.  Individual Reserve units do not have the facilities, nor the staff, to do so.  As well, they do not 'own' the person yet, so do not administer them in way shape or form until the CFRC has completed all pre-enrolment documentation.  Only after the CFRC has completed all pre-enrolment documentation, will it send the documentation to the Reserve unit to enroll the person, and complete the final documentation.

George Wallace said:
Unless things have changed recently, the CFRC was still conducting the Fitness Test to all Reserve applicants.  Individual Reserve units do not have the facilities, nor the staff, to do so.  As well, they do not 'own' the person yet, so do not administer them in way shape or form until the CFRC has completed all pre-enrolment documentation.  Only after the CFRC has completed all pre-enrolment documentation, will it send the documentation to the Reserve unit to enroll the person, and complete the final documentation.

In Calgary, applicants are referred to the PSP office at the ASU.

PrairieThunder said:
In Calgary, applicants are referred to the PSP office at the ASU.

Yes.  The CFRC would book them there or in other cases, a YMCA; or whatever testing facility is available to that CFRC.

Back