• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Occupation choices on application

WaveDancer

Inactive
Reaction score
I've searched the forums without success so I do apologize if I duplicate here.

My first choice for occupation is MARS in the CEOTP. What I'm wondering is, there are a few other occupations that would interest me if MARS doesn't work out (both NCO-Air and NCM-Navy). Should I also list these on my application in #2 and #3 or just focus my application on MARS and deal with the others if MARS weren't to work out? If I do list the others should I keep my app focused only on the NCO occupations or can I mix my app up with NCO and NCM?

I want to go for the 'gold'; the occupation I really think I would enjoy but don't want to limit myself or communicate I"m rigid in my choices, or that I'm wishy washy and will take anything. My guess might be that I stay with MARS on the application so that I can focus my preparation (re: interview, etc.) and not muddy the waters and then he aptitude test really will determine all initially.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have...

Wave Dancer,
It depends what you want to be, a manager (officer) or a hands on type or worker (NCM). Apply for the hardest one to get into which is MARS and leave your other options open. Once you get the application in and see a Military Career Counsellor they will help you explore your options. Look online and watch the videos of the ones that interest you. Pay close attention to the prerequisites as some occupations need certain high school credits to apply. Go see the nearest CFRC and they will help you.  Keep us informed.   

Thanks CFR FCS! I think that's what I'll do.

I've done a little more digging through the forums and there have been other suggestions to this effect. And I'm thinking I might not want to tempt fate to end up with an offer for a 2nd or 3rd choice when I could have maybe had my 1st if it were 'clear' that's what I wanted. The recruiter I've been talking with has been phenomenal and has given me some confidence to trust in the process.

I've watched videos, read over and over again various occupations, watched the dvd the recruiter sent me home with - trying to get as much information as I can...MARS really is my first choice. I've lived and worked aboard, done some navigating and piloting and just really enjoy these types of deck activities and being at sea.

The next 2 that interest me the most are Air Navigator, because of the navigation aspect (I also love flying, having considered getting my pilot's license) and Boatswain. If MARS doesn't work out, and either of these 2 could, I might have a hard time deciding because I think they each have aspects I would like. It's a tough call right now - until I have more information Boatswain 'might' be a heads length ahead of Air Navigator. After these 2 there are some Navy operator occupations I find interesting. There were some others ahead of these but they are not open to the CEOTP and/or require a transfer from within.

There's just so many choices! ;D Initially going through the occupations I felt a little bit like a kid in a candy store - ooh, I want that one...ooh, no, that one, wait... :pop:

These forums are sooooo excellent! I had no idea - for months I've been out on my own trying to figure all this stuff out. Thanks again...to everyone here!

I thought he was kinda cute  ;D Do you really think I should change it out? How's this one...

WaveDancer said:
I thought he was kinda cute  ;D Do you really think I should change it out? How's this one...

No no no I'm saying to change it out thats mean.  Just saying he's hypnotizing, I lost track of time staring at him  ;D

But then again I'm easily sidetrac......

He is pretty cute though!

Cheers, Kyle

Point well taken... ;D

That was on purpose though - so you don't pay too close attention to the actual content of my posts.  ;)

Back