• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Non-Effective Strength (NES): Minimum Attendance

needs help said:
My girlfriend has told me that if I go back well we may just be through

Why the hell would she leave you over that

When I was in the reserves, we would contact those on the NSF before we'd take administrative action. Who knows, maybe if you contact them asap you may be able to salvage something or at least prevent it from getting too worse. It may not be quite as bad as you think.

I was told once by an old soldier that you always have a job if your in the army. You need to go and get off the NSF list, and look into what jobs there are for reservist in your area. You could be a driver for an officer visiting on business, or work in the BHQ as a clerk. The choice is yours, and with the reserves you have more choices for training that is paid for, to help you get ahead in life. Plus you get a pension if your in long enough.  :salute:

needs help said:
   Last year I en rolled in the Reserve, due to my job I couldn't finish my training. Not only that but I was having second thoughts after awhile about the Army. To put it this way I have never really known my place in the world, and I have always question every choice I have made.   I have since been put on the NSF list. 

Well now I find myself out of work, and really wanting to return to the unit.  For a few reasons I want to finish what I started.  And I believe that well it's the right thing to do. 

What should I do, how do I go about this?  I know I will face some kind of punishment but oh well that's life, I'm ready to face that.  There is no excuse for my past actions and I should have stayed in touch with the unit but didn't.  My girlfriend has told me that if I go back well we may just be through.  But I need a job and I refuse to work at a Burger King. Plus I will have a baby boy soon and want to make sure I can support him.

Could anyone give me some advice?

Thank you

Leave her, you will find someone better. As for your child, you can still be a provider. Join up again, don't sweat the small stuff, it's all small stuff!

Hi,

I was a member of the primary reserve for a few years and due to my own irresponsibility was NES for several months. I've now dealt with it and done my paperwork to get out, and I just need to return my kit now. In the future, I see myself wanting to work in government, but I worry I may have ruined my chances of ever working for them, as I've heard rumours NES status could blacklist you from gov't jobs? I really need someone who knows for sure about this to answer whether this is true or not, it would be greatly appreciated. If there's any way to find out for sure if I have been, that would be a help too.

Thank you very much.

If you were discharged dishonourably, which is the case in most NES releases, then you would be classed as a 5F discharge, 5F being the classification for dishonourable release. If you have a dishonourable release, then yes, you will certainly have a hard time getting any government job, as well as anything related to law enforcement. However if you released on your own terms, and were released honourably, then no, you shouldn't be affected in getting a job.

Best bet, find out what type of release you have, and come back seeking further clarification from the administrative guru's that lurk around :)

Good luck.

.......or better yet, when you turn in your kit, go to the Orderley Room and ask them for the details and what can be done. They're in the best position to speak to your paperwork, they generated it.

What is the process that a PRes member has to endure once they become NES for whatever reason?

Are you NES or being released NES?  Two different things.

Many units will allow you to resume parading, after a stern talking to and perhaps a recorded warning (or whatever it is now).  The time that you were deemed NES won't be credited towards CD, pension, or promotion time.  BUT, many CO has his own interpretation of how it works.

It depends. Your unit has to send you 2 letters by registered mail letting you know that you are NES and you need to turn in your kit or you will owe money for your kit. If has gotten this far, CONTACT YOUR UNIT IMMEDIATELY. You have a minimum of 14 days to respond in some way, as to whether or not you want to be in the reserves.

If you want to still be with your unit, you'll have explain why you were NES (to your supervisor).There may be some sort of consequence, as each unit may have their own way of dealing with NES people.

If you want to release, you turn in your kit, do your clearances and off you go.....

If you don't respond to those 2 registered letters within the time given (it will be stated right in the letter), the process will be started for a 5F release (I can't remember off hand what exactly it stands for, but I think it's non-adventagously employable. If you ever want to be considered for a government job and you have that on your file, you will not be considered). Your kit costs will also be outstanding and eventually go to a collections agency. Also, if you moved and the registered letters go to your old address and are returned to your home unit, they will consider that as you have not responded and will start the release process after the time given on the letter.

Hope this helps, I can't stress enough to contact your unit asap!!!!

5f release. From the QR&O's:

Unsuitable for Further Service.

Applies to the release of an officer or non-commissioned member who, either wholly or chiefly because of factors within his control, develops personal weakness or behaviour or has domestic or other personal problems that seriously impair his usefulness to or impose an excessive administrative burden on the Canadian Forces.
f

liz has it pretty much bang on. 2 registered letters, and 5f is BAD. Not only for government, but it might hit you for a security clearance or to get bonded. You let it get to that point, go in and just release.

Now, that's the way it's SUPPOSED to work, however several areas I've worked have had huge unresolved backlogs of NES pers.  It's one of the Adm worlds priorities to clean it up, but that's not the way it has actually worked in many places.  Releasing someone 5(F) is not as easy as the clerks would like it to be...There are impediments to making it as timely as the pam says it should be, too.

FWIW, I've never seen a unit that has it's NES as under control as the Superintendant Clerk would like it be.

It's not near to the point of becoming NES.....I am just having a difficult time making it to training on a regular basis, due to work commitments....and it's not looking like it may improve any time soon.....if it does get to the point of being a problem.....I may have to do the right thing and release.....thanks for the info.... ;D

ParaMedTech said:
Now, that's the way it's SUPPOSED to work, however several areas I've worked have had huge unresolved backlogs of NES pers.  It's one of the Adm worlds priorities to clean it up, but that's not the way it has actually worked in many places.  Releasing someone 5(F) is not as easy as the clerks would like it to be...There are impediments to making it as timely as the pam says it should be, too.

FWIW, I've never seen a unit that has it's NES as under control as the Superintendant Clerk would like it be.

I was an RFA(A) Clk (same thing as RSS - only with Communication Command) in Edmonton in 1989.  When I got there, there was a HUGE backlog of NES.  I set up a simple system, on a database (dBase II, I think), which automatically checked last parade dates, and printed the required letters when they were due.  My clerks just put them in an envelope and mailed them.  Within three or four months, our NES list went down to "recents".  No more backlog.  It wasn't that hard - of course, I had a MUCH shorter chain of command than my RSS fellows (Sqn (me) - Gp - Comd).  It does, however, take a concerted effort to keep on top of it.

All that being said - for the original poster - resolve this NOW, one way or another.  Either start parading (and take whatever lumps may be coming your way), or release.  To be released 5(f) is not a good thing.

Roy

NSmedicman said:
It's not near to the point of becoming NES.....I am just having a difficult time making it to training on a regular basis, due to work commitments....and it's not looking like it may improve any time soon.....if it does get to the point of being a problem.....I may have to do the right thing and release.....thanks for the info.... ;D

Talk to your supervisor about your concerns, before it bites you in the arse.  They may have an alternative for you, or may allow you to work less then what is required but are willing to accomodate you because you have brought it forward. If you suspect that things with your civy job may improve in the future, you can also look at a possible leave of absence.  And remember, you can also request to be put on the supp list instead of releasing completely as it still gives you that foot in the door.  Good luck.

NSmedicman said:

Forget not ED&T.

Sorry I 'm obviously  not using the search function properly, thanks for the info George               

Thanks Steve

steveyb4342 said:
Disclaimer: I did try a search before posting as this seems like something I should have been able to find but I came up dry, sorry if I missed it.

Steve

Well Steve 

I don't know how much I can believe you.  Look at all the pages I have found and added your post to. 

You should also look at the Topic on Excused Drill and Training (ED&T).

can someone find the definition of NES on an official docoument? I need help because I'm currently NES when I don't believe I should have been put there

the period in dispute is when I last paraded on December the 4th 2008 and next paraded January 22nd 2009 (I parade on Thursdays)

I know that's 6 weeks they are counting me as not parading. but for anyone who's noticed by now this period of absence includes Dec. 25 and Jan.1 (yep X-mas and new years were both Thursdays), I was informed my reserve unit was on stand down during this time, so should it count towards being absent?

I don't know if it makes a difference but the absence was due to university exams and every time I don't show up for training I've notified my section commander in advance (not afterwards...)

any advice on this would be great

Look for CMP Instruction 20/04 for the exact definition of NES.

NES for Mbrs of the Res F. Except for a mbr of the PRL, a Res F mbr shall be declared non-effective (NES) when their unauthorized absence from duty has exceeded 30 days, during which time no fewer than three duty periods were conducted by the unit. A period during which a mbr has been declared NES does not count toward qualifying svc for promotion, incentive pay, Canadian Forces’ Decoration or clasp, or the RFRG. NES shall not be approved retroactively;

After talking to the unit clerk and due to some confusion I may be declared NES. Although I have put in for a ED&T form as of today so hopefully I'm not already NES. Just a question, would having an NES on your record be a hindrance for applying to CSOR or JTF2 even though it should have easily been avoided.

Back