• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New MBT(Leo 2, M1A2, or Challenger 2), new light tank (Stingray), or new DFSV (M8 or MGS)?

geo said:
Given that Mr Dion & the Liberals supported Canada's stay in Afghanistan (till 2011), it would certainly be bad politics to withhold essential equipment from the troops we/they sent into harms way.
The rented Leopards are required for Afghanistan.  The purchase is not.  The purchase is only required for whatever mission comes after Afghanistan ... and that is assuming that we have gotten the purchase right.

I know it's an old thread, I found it using a search on the Leopard. What ARE we doing about MBT's?

Leaving the Leopards we rented somewhere else, or what?

Is it like we have far too much capability, re: armour?

I don't know, and I've searched, but, figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I read last year that the Leo2's were being sold at fire-sale prices around 325k$. Is that not a good price for a tank of that capability?

I understand we would need the capability to transport and maintain them, also, but it isn't like our military involvement in world affairs is vanishing.

Reminds me of an Iraqi general who commented on his armour surviving months of embargoes, weeks of aerial bombardment, but only 15 minutes of M1 tanks.

Am I off in thinking the Leopard 2's are cost-effective?

dinicthus said:
I know it's an old thread, I found it using a search on the Leopard. What ARE we doing about MBT's?

Leaving the Leopards we rented somewhere else, or what?

Is it like we have far too much capability, re: armour?

I don't know, and I've searched, but, figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I read last year that the Leo2's were being sold at fire-sale prices around 325k$. Is that not a good price for a tank of that capability?

I understand we would need the capability to transport and maintain them, also, but it isn't like our military involvement in world affairs is vanishing.

Reminds me of an Iraqi general who commented on his armour surviving months of embargoes, weeks of aerial bombardment, but only 15 minutes of M1 tanks.

Am I off in thinking the Leopard 2's are cost-effective?

Ummm we already bought over 100 Leopard 2s a couple of years ago..... ::)

Ex-Dragoon said:
Ummm we already bought over 100 Leopard 2s a couple of years ago..... ::)

Great! I didn't find that as I searched through the old threads, which I have been chastised and de-mil-pointed for DARING to open up with a new comment, anyway.

Apologies in advance for any other gross and traitorous failure to find every single bit of information that is deemed to be patently obvious, but I didn't think people would get so offended, angry, or hostile  ::) for someone asking questions.

I mean, this is a place to discuss. People will actually be here that don't know, or haven't found through searching, though they might try, all the latest or oldest information that has ever existed.

Just discourages dialog when we always have to be on the defensive that we didn't find that tidbit that OMG any idiot could have found, like, like OMG!

If I knew, I wouldn't ask. I searched, didn't find, so I asked. Not here to make this an unpleasant and horrible experience, but, really, do you guys do that every time you are in a conversation out in the real world when someone asks a question? Snap "Go look it up. There are encyclopedias and newspaper articles!" when it's easier to just say "Yeah."  at whoever?

I do make an effort, but, really, is it THAT big of a deal to just answer? If the information is in a fifteen-year old thread, do we comb through fifteen years of threads to make sure no one gets mad at something we ask?

New conversation will often bring up old information. It's just the way conversations go.

dinicthus said:
Great! I didn't find that as I searched through the old threads, ...
The thread title might have given it away:  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/52673.0.html

Fair enough, must have missed it. But, I did search leopard, leo II, and didn't notice that one, so it was just a mistake, not a heinous and malicious flouting of the Rules.

Back