• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New badges on Army Service Dress

Yeah, the guys from Land Forces Command HQ AKA Canadian Army HQ AKA Land Staff AKA Army Staff are now wearing the patch of the 1st Canadian Army, and the guys from Land Forces Doctrine and Training System AKA Canadian Army Doctrine and Training Centre are now wearing the patch of 1st Canadian Corps.

The issues, as much as there are some, are that the dress pam originally stated that formation patches are used by army field formations but that has now been extended to all formations whether they are field formations or not, that the formations in question are wearing the patches without changing names to match the patches, which implies that SQFT/LFWA/LFCA/LFAA could have just sewn on the divisional rectangles without actually changing names to 2/3/4/5 Division, and that the Canadian Army might not actually be a formation, but rather a Command, so it might or might not be authorized a formation patch.

But hey, it's just a bit of cloth, right?

Latest email from the green machine. I am attaching the relevant portion (fortunatly it is much less verbose and labour intensive than the one regarding official signature blocks)

The CA intends to approach the CADPAT uniform in two dress approaches:

1.      CADPAT A – Field Operational Dress.  This would be the operational uniform with field headdress(s) and minimal hi vis badges reflecting just nameplate, rank, plus unit flash and subdued national flag;

2.      CADPAT B – Dress of the Day/Garrison.  This would be the uniform worn with beret/regimental head dress and the same badges as CADPAT A.  The following patches/badges would be added to the Velcro patches on the ECU CADPAT (Op dress CA). 

a.            Name plate (Command ensign), high vis rank, unit identifier on rank tab, corps/branch/regimental badge on beret/regimental head dress.
b.            Left top velcro. Canada Flag (2x4 in) (full colour);
c.            Right top velcro. CA Division patch/CADTC patch/CA HQ patch (full colour);
d.            Right bottom velcro.  L3 formation patch (subdued colour) for CA formation, the CA badge for CA HQ pers and formations patches for HQ outside of CA (ie: CJOC Patch etc…);
e.            Left bottom velcro.  Special qualification badges.  Only the badges that are already approved to be wear on the DEU.  (Para wings, Pathfinder, Ranger, Cbt diver, EOD badge etc…)(Subdued colour); a maximum of 2 badges may be worn.

3.            Proto-types of all L3 Formation patches and special qualification badges will be produced by the Army, passed by the L3, and authorized by the CA.

4.            Arid Operational Dress.  Same as CADPAT A or B (depending on the situation) but allowance would be made for coalition patches to replace Level 2 and 3 CA patches.  Auth will be the TF Comd.  IFF will be worn on the right top Velcro for operations.

I'm just keeping my old uniform for as long as possible (although this won't take much doing on my part, they never have any of the "new" new uniforms in my size so I simply exchange shabby see through combats with somewhat less shabby and see through combats....)

I'm still astounded that so much time and effort can be spent on patches (there was a very long part in the email about taking off non authorized patches, ironically after a paragraph about using patches to promote morale.... ::) ) even though no one can seem to get uniforms in your size, new combat boots (by which I mean not the type issued in Afghanistan) or even higher end stuff like trucks.

Glad they said full colour for div patches. I can't imagine trying to decipher shades of green, and 291ers would be screwed!

Ostrozac said:
Yeah, the guys from Land Forces Command HQ AKA Canadian Army HQ AKA Land Staff AKA Army Staff are now wearing the patch of the 1st Canadian Army, and the guys from Land Forces Doctrine and Training System AKA Canadian Army Doctrine and Training Centre are now wearing the patch of 1st Canadian Corps.

The issues, as much as there are some, are that the dress pam originally stated that formation patches are used by army field formations but that has now been extended to all formations whether they are field formations or not, that the formations in question are wearing the patches without changing names to match the patches, which implies that SQFT/LFWA/LFCA/LFAA could have just sewn on the divisional rectangles without actually changing names to 2/3/4/5 Division, and that the Canadian Army might not actually be a formation, but rather a Command, so it might or might not be authorized a formation patch.
In hockey a team recognizes legendary players by retiring the number; in the Army we give the number to a Zamboni.

Thucydides said:
I'm still astounded that so much time and effort can be spent on patches (there was a very long part in the email about taking off non authorized patches, ironically after a paragraph about using patches to promote morale.... ::) ) even though no one can seem to get uniforms in your size, new combat boots (by which I mean not the type issued in Afghanistan) or even higher end stuff like trucks.
The glory of tribes is paramount.  Fashion is secondary except where it reinforces tribal glory and (as such) is paramount.  Other considerations can be tertiary or whatever.  For reference, see here: http://army.ca/forums/threads/122065.0.html
or here: http://army.ca/forums/threads/16520.475 

Back