• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Navy doing trials on new clothing???

Navy_Blue

Inactive
Reaction score
Recently I have noticed that several units in the fleet and on base have personnel doing trials on new clothing.  I only know of two.  Black T-shirts for under our NCD's and while doing a tour on the St John's I notice on the bulletin board in the ET shop referenced two people doing a sock trial??  I searched a little but most sites reference our clothing on line stuff and nothing more.  Anyone know anything about this??  These seem like small things but I was hoping it might be an indication they have bigger plans afoot for other trials ie. coveralls  :)  I hate trying to find crap on the DIN.

:cdn:

No coveralls in the Navy's future at all, at least that what the FCPO told us awhile ago. The new NCDs we will eventually get will be the two piece similiar to the ones you are currently issued.

Navy_Blue said:
Recently I have noticed that several units in the fleet and on base have personnel doing trials on new clothing.  I only know of two.  Black T-shirts for under our NCD's

Are you sure that was a trial, as opposed to a couple of people doing it on their own?  I've seen a few people with various t-shirts under NCDs (and at least one non-issue belt) before.

I did read somewhere that the navy was going to issue black t-shirts for wear with Cadpat for those personnel posted to specific units. (along with the fancy cadpat name tag/rank slip on) When I am at work next I will see if I can track it down...  (But why trial a T-shirt.... IT's a T-shirt!)

What ever happened to the rain coat they were trialling?  I did see some CPO2 wearing it around dockyard a few years ago... He mentioned it was part of a trial.

Not going to coveralls  -----> lame (my opinion)

Navy_Blue said:
Recently I have noticed that several units in the fleet and on base have personnel doing trials on new clothing.  I only know of two.  Black T-shirts for under our NCD's and while doing a tour on the St John's I notice on the bulletin board in the ET shop referenced two people doing a sock trial??  I searched a little but most sites reference our clothing on line stuff and nothing more.  Anyone know anything about this??  These seem like small things but I was hoping it might be an indication they have bigger plans afoot for other trials ie. coveralls  :)  I hate trying to find crap on the DIN.

The black t shirt trial is definately happening cause I saw one inthe mess the other day and the person said his unit was designated to do the trial....can't remember which one of the top of my head. I have to wear DEU every day so it didn't impact me too much.

As a Naval Storesy perhaps I can shed some light.

There is a program out there called NICE (Naval Improved Clothing and Equipment). I saw this memo come across my desk about a year ago. In it we such items as fleece for our "gortex" parkas, sun/ballistic glasses, in and out dress rain gear, black tshirts, new socks, new long underwear this is just a sample there must have been 25-30 items all together.

I have herd through the supply rumor mill that NICE is now on the back burner, BUT i do know for a fact we are trialing black Tshirts (i know its a Tshirt WTF!) and socks. The socks we are trialing are the new army 2 sock system. The army has had it for a few years now and now were seeing if there socks will work for the navy.

On a side note most of the stuff I listed and more is just simply the newer generation or army clothing (minus cad-pat) dyed to a more naval color. 

I hope that black t-shirt trial doesn't cost any money because that would be a stupid waste of well needed cash.

You know it cost lots of money if they have to call it a trial.  I hope we get the army issue winter gloves in black that would be sweet.

I do find it quite absurd that they would even waste time asking people what they think. When they are just going to do what is cheapest anyway.

You know it and so do i.

Trials are someones desk job in Ottawa, we should all be so lucky :)

That was funny. .. Dress Police, I thought that was the RPO's job :)

gravyboat said:
The navy needs a better belt for work dress.  The current DEU belt is insufficient for wear at sea.

The dress regs provide for a leather belt as an alternative to the usual one, but I've never seen such a thing available for issue.

The belt I wear with my NCDs came through the stores system and I believe is called a Firefighter's safety belt or something.  Good solid buckle, nice sturdy leather, much like the one I was issued in Cornwallis, minus the weak brass buckle.  Haven't been picked up yet, but I'll be going back to see soon so we'll see.  8)

A Cotton T-Shirt and a Synthetic Fiber T-Shirt is very different... Both in comfort and fire protection.  Me thinks there is a reason for trials...

Max

You can get fire fighters belts through the system.  We got the whole MSE dept on the ship kitted with them and it was great.  Still have mine just can't ware it at CFNES.

The white t-shirt is what we should be issued anyways. I have to wear one under my NCD's its a comfort issue, and it doesn't look that bad either. 

Stanfields makes some nice comfy nomex t-shirts and long sleeve shirts too, great for "under" dress when you're looking for a little extra....protection?  In Hot parts of the world.

I've got a couple that I usually bring on ship with me....not WUPS approved, but in my mind, better than just the issued shirts....

NS

Dolphin_Hunter said:
The white t-shirt is what we should be issued anyways. I have to wear one under my NCD's its a comfort issue, and it doesn't look that bad either. 

Its funny that the clothing online lists a grey t shirt for the navy, but doesn't list a white one for use on ship.

Navy_Blue said:
You can get fire fighters belts through the system.  We got the whole MSE dept on the ship kitted with them and it was great.  Still have mine just can't ware it at CFNES.

Thats something i'd like to order for my department, do you have a stock #.

Stoker said:
Its funny that the clothing online lists a grey t shirt for the navy, but doesn't list a white one for use on ship.

That's explained by the fact that the grey items listed on Logistik are PT kit items (they should show on all enviornments -they do on my Army one) and are a one time initial issue.

The white t-shirts are a naval only item, not DEU, and Logistik is not the supplier.

Back