• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

xxmixkexx said:
mosin-nagant-294145.jpg

This should be an easy one

hmm.... don't think this is an AFV  ;D

Gefechtsversuchsträger.  This one may be a VT 1-1.

Blackadder1916 said:
This vehicle is occasionally (and incorrectly) identified as Kampfpanzer (or Leopard) 3.  Ironduke responded with its correct identity.  But there is more.  Hopefully I'll have it mostly right as much of my research came from German language sources.  (Ironduke will surely pounce on me if I stray)

The photo was of one of the prototype GVT (Gefechtsversuchsträger).  Generally falling under this title there were (at least) two further definitions; VT 1-1 (twin 105mm guns), and VT 1-2 (twin 120mm guns).  The photo I presented (as well as Geo) is of one of the remaining prototypes that is in Augustdorf; as best as I can determine this one is a VT 1-1.  It is also the one that is usually identified as Kampfpanzer 3, but it has also been identified as a VLT.  The (only remaining) VT 1-2 is found in a museum at Koblenz.

Some of the other GVT may have met the fate below.

Blackadder1916 said:
Gefechtsversuchsträger.  This one may be a VT 1-1.
No it is not the VT 1-1, but the GVT 04 part of the Panzermuseum Munster (NOT Münster).
But you can have it. I don´t have anything good atm.

Regards,
ironduke57

Dang it, I knew I was wrong.  I realised (too late it seems) that it was the Leopard Versuchsträger 1-2

I was coming back to edit my previous entry but you beat me to the draw with GVT 04.  Though, I was able to predict in that post "(Ironduke will surely pounce on me if I stray)".  Well, maybe it will be better for the environment if we continue recycling.

Anyway, let's try this one.

been flipping thru the Rhodesian military's photo gallery again I see .... :)

geo said:
been flipping thru the Rhodesian military's photo gallery again I see .... :)

No. 

While based on an already existing, in production and in service truck chassis, the prototype of this vehicle was not a locally cobbled together, improvised item.

Edited to provide a better copy of the previously posted pic.

I'm sorry but I'm drawing total blanks.

Any axis of attack with teh google is fruitless.

The shape of the superstructure does bring back faint memories, but I have no idea of what.

:crybaby:

vG

vG said:
I'm sorry but I'm drawing total blanks.
Any axis of attack with teh google is fruitless.
The shape of the superstructure does bring back faint memories, but I have no idea of what.
:crybaby:
vG

Obviously, all axes have not yet been eliminated.

A hint: the vehicle (and truck that it was based on) was a 6x4 but was literally considered a go "anywhere" vehicle.

And here's the back and top.

geo said:
English (right hand steering)

No.  Right hand driving (RHD) equipped vehicles were not exclusively found/manufactured in the UK or countries that evolved from it.  Some manufacturers (in some countries) continued to build RHD vehicles for their own domestic and military market even after that country switched to the other side of the road. 

CEEBEE501 said:
any relation to the Australian Rover Light Armoured Car?

No.

Back