• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

My Obstacles to Joining the Canadian Infantry

hoot33 said:
Today I went and got fingerprinted. Sent all my info to the FBI, now I have a 16 - 18 week wait. Hoping it goes by a little faster though.

Has anyone gone through a security clearance check with the FBI before?? If so how long did it take you??

You keep referring to the FBI.  Are you enlisting in the United States military?  ???  Or am I out of 'er, and there is another meaning for that TLA?

Zip... I think he is refering to his need for a verification of former service & reliability check from the USA

Because he spent so much time in the US he needs a police clearance from there? 

exactly, but it must be clean because I was fingerprinted and sent them away, but I have never been finger printed before.

So does anyone know how long it may take?

Thanks

Dylan

Hoot,
if it is any example, I know someone who applied to emigrate to the US.
He was told in 2006 that they were still working on applications that dated back to 2001.

is the FBI any more efficient?

Emailed the FBI regarding my situation, they replied stating that currently their return time for fingerprints is 6 weeks or less instead of the usual 16 - 18.

So thats good news :D, just got back from a week in Petawawa. CFat is a week from Monday.

Looking forward to it all.

Dylan

Just got back from a nice little jog, in my folder my recruiter gave me it says that 2.4 km in under 11:56 is "acceptable" for a 23 year old, under 10:13 is superior. I ran on wednesday and got a time of 10:40.80. Today I ran again and got a time of 10:07.64.

I know the folder says 10:13 is superior but usually these things are simply guidelines.

Can anyone offer their experiences as far as what times are good. Will 10:07.64 be sufficient for BMQ? Not that Im not going to try to improve further, but as a starting point.

Thanks

Dylan

When the platoon will be running together, you guys will be running together... thus speed does not really matter cause you will be running as fast as the slowest member.

There was another thread recently that stated that some +/- 1/3 of recruit applicants had problems with running @ the time of reporting in.  Sooo.... if they tell ya that 11min 56 is acceptable, then don't sweat it.

So in that case, seeing as we will be running with the slowest runner its equally important to work on leg strength for those long runs, instead of focusing solely on speed and lung capacity, is this correct?

- you won't need any more speed than what you already have.
If and when you want to run on your own, go ahead & fill your boots BUT, based on current standards, you appear to have met the basic standard the recruit school is asking of new recruits.  They will be training all recruits - raising the overall standard as the training progresses...
- building up leg strength is good.

Ive just always been a leader, dont really know what to expect so I dont want to show up and be junk compared to the rest.

Thanks for the insight.

Dylan

Good job on the training and recruiting so far!

Make sure you train for longer runs and not just the 2.4k, I think the longest run we did in basic that i can remember was like 5-6km.
So aim for somewhere around there if not higher!

Ya, Im just getting into my training regime so Im starting with the minimum requirement and working from there. I still have 4 weeks or more until I get my fingerprints back plus the recruitment time. I should be ready by then.

I know speed is not important but as far as time for 5 km, what should I aim for. I keep personal bests etc etc, something to keep me motivated.

Thanks

Dylan

Your run speeds will always depend on the staff running you.  If you're looking for a guideline and want to be in the top 1/3 of the pack, I would suggest being able to run 5 minute km's.  Typical speeds (if there is such a thing) is generally between 5-6 min/km.  Of course there are people who run faster, and those who run slower.  This is just my humble suggestion as a guideline. 

You stated before that you are a leader.  As a leader, remember that you will only ever run as fast as your weakest member.  Teamwork is always more important than individual effort.

Good luck with the rest of your process!  Speaking as someone who joined the CF as a high school dropout, completed his h.s. diploma on a tour (back in '99), and is now finishing a degree ala the CF and the UTPNCM program, you seem to have a great attitude, and the drive to succeed! 

Keep up the hard work and it will all pay off. 

Loachman said:
No, it's not a waste of time, and, yes, this forum is brilliant.

You are doing the right thing - both in seeking out a career in the Armed Forces, and in your method of going about it.

The bigger the obstacle, the better it feels when it's been overcome.

Good luck.

I strongly agree, and keep up your good work man.

Thanks everyone, wrote my cfat today, didn't seem to have any problem, completed every question with ease and had quite alot of time left after going over it once or twice.

Have re-emailed the fbi to get a status on my fingerprints, hoping they will be here shortly.

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone.

Will keep you posted as always.

Dylan

Spoke with the fbi again, apparently the wait time for fingerprints ( 16 - 18 weeks) has no real bearing, mine have already been completed and sent back, in 11 days :D.

Also got a call from the recruiting center today, something to do with my references, they said it is very important, I will call them first thing tomorrow morning.

So I should get this whole thing rolling by the end of the week I hope.

Dylan

So I got my fingerprints in the mail today, went to the recruiting center without even opening it. They are telling me that this may not be what they need/want which makes no sense to me because they told me to go this route. They directed me to the office to get the prints done etc.

What I received back from the fbi was the set of my fingerprints with a stamp on the back saying "No Arrest Record" dated oct 15 2007. I dont see how they could need anything else, this should be sufficient.

If anyone knows anything about fingerprints and the fbi etc please pm me as my recruiters continue to call Toronto to find these things out.

So after waiting for them to call T.O. and not getting an answer (lunch time) they said if I dont hear from them in 2 weeks, call them.

It seems like they dont even want me as a recruit. I have done everything they have asked and still I cant get any straight answers, it's one of those "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it" scenarios. I realize they have alot going on and alot of recruits to process, but I would think they would at least be able to give me an answer as far as what I need to do now.

Any insight??

Dylan

hoot33 said:
So I got my fingerprints in the mail today, went to the recruiting center without even opening it. They are telling me that this may not be what they need/want which makes no sense to me because they told me to go this route. They directed me to the office to get the prints done etc.

What I received back from the fbi was the set of my fingerprints with a stamp on the back saying "No Arrest Record" dated oct 15 2007. I dont see how they could need anything else, this should be sufficient.

If anyone knows anything about fingerprints and the fbi etc please pm me as my recruiters continue to call Toronto to find these things out.

So after waiting for them to call T.O. and not getting an answer (lunch time) they said if I dont hear from them in 2 weeks, call them.

It seems like they dont even want me as a recruit. I have done everything they have asked and still I cant get any straight answers, it's one of those "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it" scenarios. I realize they have alot going on and alot of recruits to process, but I would think they would at least be able to give me an answer as far as what I need to do now.

Any insight??

Dylan

Ask to see the Det Comd and don't leave until you fully understand what the process is and how long it is going to take.

Back