• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Metal cap badges for all!!

Well, for my trade and branch...    the cloth   badge is just fine.   While i do like the look of the officer/Sr NCO badge with the gold thread and metal lightning bolts and Jimmy, more than the one I have now; the metal badge for Jr. ranks is about as appealing as a colored cornflake to me.   Also, the look of a working, or field (Iknow it doesn't really exist) beret with a slightly worn capbadge is a source of personal pride that distinguishes us (ex RadOps) from the others (Ex non-field TelOps, 291'ers) in the branch.  
P.S. No offence meant to any other Sigs I might have offended, it's Saturday, after midnight and well, you know....

edited for spelling

JBeach said:
A good way to keep the metal capbadges from falling out is to cut a slit in the cardboard/leather backing and feed the prong into the inside of the beret. The extra thickness holds my capbadge quite well. Since doing this, I haven't had a problem with it.
View from the inside with capbadge:
beretinside.jpg

Now....if you cut the round knob off the end of the pin and then stuck the pin inside the little leather pocket, it would stay in even better.

Steel Badger said:
My vote is for Metal Badges with cotter pins....

The present style of using tangs to affix the badge to said cap is just government parsimony.....leading to crooked badges, and lost badges....

Cloth badges are for the weak...

Tangs?  Or sliders?  The two are different things.  Tangs go in and bend over, a slider just slips into a slot on the beret. Tangs would be an improvement over sliders actually.....

Let everyone wear their metal capbadges on thier forge caps.

Ashley, Ashley, Ashley...... Where did the Corps go wrong with you?!?!? First you go Medic (Uh, excuse me, you'll have to remove your pants and underwear so I can get a REAL close look at that festering hemmorhoid.....). Then you lose your ability to spell (thier, forge [it's forage, as in "forage for berries"]). Suggesting cloth badges over metal!!!!!!! Then you suggest we actually WEAR forage caps!!!!!! We may have to see that you get sent to get your tea-leaves read.....

Al

Luck881 said:
Well, for my trade and branch...    the cloth   badge is just fine.   While i do like the look of the officer/Sr NCO badge with the gold thread and metal lightning bolts and Jimmy, more than the one I have now; the metal badge for Jr. ranks is about as appealing as a colored cornflake to me.   Also, the look of a working, or field (Iknow it doesn't really exist) beret with a slightly worn capbadge is a source of personal pride that distinguishes us (ex RadOps) from the others (Ex non-field TelOps, 291'ers) in the branch.  
P.S. No offence meant to any other Sigs I might have offended, it's Saturday, after midnight and well, you know....

I was actually just reading through this thread about to post the same thing, in comparing the two, I far prefer the look of the embroidered jimmy to the metal jimmy.

Allan Luomala said:
Ashley, Ashley, Ashley...... Where did the Corps go wrong with you?!?!? First you go Medic (Uh, excuse me, you'll have to remove your pants and underwear so I can get a REAL close look at that festering hemmorhoid.....). Then you lose your ability to spell (thier, forge [it's forage, as in "forage for berries"]). Suggesting cloth badges over metal!!!!!!! Then you suggest we actually WEAR forage caps!!!!!! We may have to see that you get sent to get your tea-leaves read.....

I lost my ability to spell when somebody called me a WOG...REMF, maybe...But a WOG?!? Only thing more insulting then that would be calling me a LEG.
(BTW, you spelt hemorrhoid wrong) Al, you are right agian....edited to add the "H" I forgot, its that darn WOG thing again.

Suggesting everyone wear Forage caps is the same as suggesting everyone wear metal cap badges, no?

I loved my Dragoon Capbadge (still have my last one wrapped in velvet), as much as I hated shining the VIII one. But just as I think Forage caps are not for everyone, metal cap badges are not either.

With my current one, the dress cloth looks much sharper.

(BTW, you spelt hemorroid wrong)

... whatever... [Actually it is 'Hemorrhoid') I actually took the time to Google it, this time...... You know that I'm only picking on your spelling because you tradesmen are supposed to be so much more edumacated than us stunned-ass combat arms types.....

I think the key issue here, in my mind, is that the cloth hatbadge is a lazy man's way out. Some of them (the embroided ones with "metal" threads) look OK, but a lot of the other one's reek of "I'm too idle to polish a metal one, so there!!!!".

The non-brass metal ones can look like crap (all that anodized metal, plastic, etc). So I suppose a fancy cloth one is a better substitute. But, if given the choice between a metal and cloth, I would take the shiny one any day.

Allan Luomala said:
I think the key issue here, in my mind, is that the cloth hatbadge is a lazy man's way out. Some of them (the embroided ones with "metal" threads) look OK, but a lot of the other one's reek of "I'm too idle to polish a metal one, so there!!!!".

You make it sound like we had a choice.  In '84, when the switch was made, our CO mutinied, and we wore the metal for 2 more years in 1 CER.  The pointy heads finally got their way, though.

You make it sound like we had a choice.

I'm not saying it's always the individual who is to blame: on the contrary, it can be the office dwellers, at the unit or Ottawa level who make the decision. And if the power's that be are prone to idleness, the rest can suffer. I mean, do you really think a Cpl or Captain made the decision to go ahead with the Garrison dress program? I think not....

Al

Steel Badger said:
MIkle

Is not the pictured object a tang?

No, it isn't, it's a slider.  A tang has a sharp end, generally, and is folded over to secure the badge in place.

ARMY MEDIC
Maybe "wog" was a bit harsh, I may of been hasty in my choice of words,  I was not aware of the "get bent" phrase ment bending the springbok, my neck of the woods "get bent" means something else.
I offer up the olive branch

Allan Luomala said:

The non-brass metal ones can look like crap (all that anodized metal, plastic, etc). So I suppose a fancy cloth one is a better substitute. But, if given the choice between a metal and cloth, I would take the shiny one any day.

Well, it'd be the lazy way out if we had a choice. Frankly, I think it's the cheap way out (by the gummint) - those enamelled anodized WOG badges must have cost a fortune.

I recall a comment from a few years back (few in the geological sense): a SALH NCO was jacked by someone from another Reg't for an unshined hat badge. The reply was "The badge of the South Alberta Light Horse shines in it's own Glory sergeant!" (I think there was a "recce doesn't wear shiny stuff" thing in there somewhere, but....)

Acorn
(Who would be happy to have the metal badge of the C Int C to wear)

Yes, as a Combat Engineer, I proudly wore my BRASS, enamelled WOG badge.  Took me a year to earn it, and I wore it on the inside of my beret since they took them away.

grayman said:
ARMY MEDIC
Maybe "wog" was a bit harsh, I may of been hasty in my choice of words,   I was not aware of the "get bent" phrase ment bending the springbok, my neck of the woods "get bent" means something else.
I offer up the olive branch

No prob, my mistake as well.

At my end of the telephone wire, "get bent" was a funny response. Both as a negative reply to the question and as a literal reply to why metal capbadges aren't the best thing to be worn by everyone.

Acorn said:
Acorn
(Who would be happy to have the metal badge of the C Int C to wear)

Amen!

The first generation cloth and metal Branch badges were pretty nice, IMHO. The star was made of a decent metal (and shines up real nice), and the gold in the leaves and the crown look nice and rich with age. I used to have one, but its gone now and sadly I can't seem to find a decent replacement...The new ones are crap. Cheaper metal on the star (which no amount of silvo can shine up), and they're often off-centre on the badge.

:dontpanic:

Back