• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Merged Thread- More Money or Cuts to Veterans Affairs?

• Thread starter Wounded Soldier
  • Start date
.... to get change:
http://petition.liberal.ca/veterans-deserve-better/
The Conservative government has already announced cuts of $226 million from Veterans Affairs Canada, hurting the department’s ability to deliver the compensation and benefits our veterans rely on. And this is in addition to $175 – 350 million in “Strategic Review” cuts the department must make starting next year.

Canadians make a promise to our men and women in uniform that, in exchange for their commitment and sacrifice, we will be there for them when they come home, to provide support to them and their families.

But because of these cuts, human and financial resources will not be there for soldiers when they return home to heal from the physical and mental wounds that come in service of Canadians.

Our veterans deserve better. There have been enough broken promises. That’s why, with Remembrance Day around the corner, we are asking Canadians to renew their promise to their troops and we are asking you to help spread the word.

The Conservative government justifies these cuts with the “dwindling” number of “traditional” veterans from World War II and Korean War. Guy Parent, the Veteran Affairs watchdog, says the number of veterans is on the rise.

Liberals like Veteran Affairs Critic Sean Casey are fighting for veterans where they cannot: in the House of Commons.

Liberals say commemoration means that no veteran, anywhere, anytime, is denied access to benefits for the injuries they acquired serving our country.

Please sign the petition, pass it on to friends and family, and share this page on Facebook and Twitter.

Stand with us. Show that Canadians care about our veterans once they return home.

Does anyone, anyone believe that the Liberals really care about Vets?

Rifleman62 said:

You mean the guys who designed the New Veteran's Charter?

Rifleman62 said:

No, not I.  They have proven feckless time and time again to us, and those whom are out.

VETERANSOFCANADA.CA

- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -

Monday November 07, 2011

VETERANS OF CANADA SENDS AUTO-DIAL MESSAGE
Request Minister Blaney's Constituents to Direct MP

(Calgary, AB) - In light of the developments and evidence of the multitude of problems for ageing and injured veterans, including a veteran on a hunger strike right in the Minister of Veterans Affairs own riding and the fact that many veterans have taken to protest proposed cuts to Veterans Affairs Canada. VeteransofCanada.ca has started an auto-dial campaign directed to the constituents of Lévis—Bellechasse. The French message asks the residents of Lévis to call the office of MP Steven Blaney's and demand a Commission of Inquiry on behalf of Canada's ageing and injured veterans. 

“In September 2010 the Government purposed bill C-55 which would implement 3 of 486 recommendations from veterans groups and advocates sitting on Veterans Affairs Canada committees since 2006. Bill C-55 was passed in the last Parliament and has still not been implemented to the end of October 2011 now 13 months later. ” Stated Donald J. Leonardo CD - Veteran / Founder / CEO VeteransofCanada.ca
VeteransofCanada.ca strongly suggest that the Minister of Veterans Affairs go to the Prime Minister and request a Commission of Inquiry into the care of Canada's ageing and injured veterans. The multitude of problems facing the Veterans Community spreads past just Veterans Affairs Canada into other Government departments. Therefore a Commission of Inquiry followed by the implementation of the recommendations is the only way to correct the short comings in the care of our ageing and injured veterans.

“In requesting that Minister Blaney's constituents call and demand a Commission of Inquiry for ageing and injured veterans we are sending a message to the Minister that the Veterans Community will not accept anything but this request. I hope the other Veterans Organizations that sit with me on the Veterans Affairs Canada Stakeholder Committee will lock arms with us in demanding the Commission of Inquiry on behalf of Canada's ageing and injured veterans.”stated Donald J. Leonardo CD - Veteran / Founder / CEO VeteransofCanada.ca

VeteransofCanada.ca now has over 5300 active registered members in its Veterans Community. Veterans Community members can meet up with old buddies or make new ones, have discussions, post pictures or just keep informed on issues of the day; all within the confines of this social networking community created just for those that have served their country in uniform.

- 30 -

CONTACT
Donald J. Leonardo CD
Veteran / Founder / Chief Executive Officer
Email don@veteransofcanada.ca

VeteransofCanada.ca National Headquarters
PO Box 10002 Airdrie, AB T4B 0H4
Tel: 403-980-HERO (4376) Fax: 403-980-4377
Visit VeteransofCanada.ca - Veterans Community at: http://community.veteransofcanada.ca/?xg_source=msg_mes_network

I was wandering around a VAC office the other day and I was inspired by a picture on the wall. It was a WWII soldier, a Bren gun over his shoulder, walking through a military cemetary. It was then I was struck that not one piece of VAC art or VAC posters were on "modern" veterans.
Imagery is a powerful tool . About 80 % of what we learn we learn from imagery - watching.  Photos and plates of WWII vets, while all very good, tell the "modern" vet that we are not included - we are not thought of as "vets". It may lead to the perception that VAC doesn't care about "modern" vets.
VAC does care - the issue is the bureaucracy and the culture of the "insurance company" mentality. That is what has to change at VAC and within government.

And the art in VAC offices -at least show a guy or girl in ARID somewhere.

As a client in the NVC, and reading all the posts. I do not like the way things are going. Now looking at my benefit that i received, was a substantial amount, but doing the math would only equal 7 yrs of pension payments.

The benefits that comes with the NVC are great, BUT at the same time are a pain in the ***. The reasoning is because, yes they may cover more and / or different things, but i have to jump through hoops and over logs basically to receive those and it only for a certain period of time and must only cost X amount of $$$.

If it was back to the OVC i would have a monthly amount that i can use at my dis-cression, where i have no hoops to jump through, and no need to fill out this form or that form, and have doctor A signs this sheet and doctor B sign that sheet or said number of quotes to get the best deal.

Now with this cut back, and with all the changes from the OVC to the NVC, just makes everything look very very nasty. IMHO it looks as if neither the government, nor VAC give a fiddlers F about the new aged injured veterans. Its almost as the old is gone so who cares.

As a new aged veteran this triffles me to the brink. Cause yes i invested my benefits but there are rumours going around about possible taxation of all benefits. Now with these cuts and changes how is that going to affect any new claims from anyone.

Is time going to be longer or shorter for them to be processed? (which is more than long enough), are they going to knock down the max. %?

I know times are getting ruff but do we still not deserve whats right? Or is it that it is getting to the point that nobody give a damn anymore.

EDITED FOR GRAMMER

I have to wonder if we are not starting to fall victim to our own prejudices that we are accusing others of. We see it here and in the Legion threads, as well as other threads around the board and on other mediums.

What about the Afghanistan veterans? The RCL is not reaching out to our soldiers from our newest war! We need posters of people in ARID cadpat ( no offence Jim). VA and the Legion are mired in their old war and not worried about our's!

How about we just start pushing for veterans from OUR GENERATION. Not just the war in Afghanistan. While significant, that mission is only a tooth in the big gear that we've been spinning for 40 years. What about all the people that spent all that time on all those UN missions (and still are). All that time in NATO during the Cold War? What about the Reservist that rolled the truck on the weekend ex? How about the Engineer that fell off a ladder wearing OD combats.

We're, unintentionally, excluding a whole generation of our peers. Some of whom are probably looking at us and saying "Sure, fine for those guys that went to the Sandbox, but who's looking after us? They just want to sit around excluding us because we weren't there. I served and was injured, what makes them so special?"

We have to start speaking with one, large, collective voice and rid ourselves of the same anchor that has the previous generation mired in disarray and pre-extinction lethargy. We have to look after our collective mass and pave the way for the next. We have to prove as an example for our newest soldiers, sailors and airmen that are already starting the next generation of veterans, beyond our own.

We need to make Veterans organizations and department look after OUR GENERATION not OUR MISSION.

Jimmy_D said:
If it was back to the OVC i would have a monthly amount that i can use at my dis-cression, where i have no hoops to jump through, and no need to fill out this form or that form, and have doctor A signs this sheet and doctor B sign that sheet or said number of quotes to get the best deal.

Sorry, you are absolutely wrong.  There were a hell of a lot more hoops to jump, paperwork to fill, justification of injuries, and a longer time to wait a decision, which was usually negative.

dileas

tess

I should clarify - the "modern" vet in my mind is one who served post Korea until whenever.

The CF went through a transformation and continues to evolve somewhat.

VAC and the RCL need to do the same.

Jimmy_D said:

the 48th regulator said:
Sorry, you are absolutely wrong.  There were a hell of a lot more hoops to jump, paperwork to fill, justification of injuries, and a longer time to wait a decision, which was usually negative.

dileas

tess

How am i absolutely wrong, if I had the monthly amount, that would be saying that it would have already been approved. Could use the pension better toward my disability then here is blank amount of $$$ which in reality would only last about x amount of yrs instead of a life time

I tried to get the ball rolling here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/22329.125.html
Veterans' Day vice Remembrance Day and got nowhere. I thought the change would get every ones mind set to the contemporary Vets, not just the dead WWI and soon to be gone WWII Vets.

Down in US, commentary on Veterans' Day was that the post 9/11 military was the new greatest generation. It appeared to be the theme of the media and politician's speeches. Not in Canada though.

To rant, the response here IMHO ranged from WWII throwbacks against the "Yanks" (who have protected the western world, whether you like the truth or not, since 1945) "Over paid, over sexed, and over here" to lets keep the past. Well, stay in the past then, just like the RCL, and don't bitch about how you as a modern Vet are not appreciated.

Good post Jim re the VAC office vist.

Now I can understand that 55% for my injuries is alot of $ approx. $150,000. Which was great don't get me wrong. My main injury being my back, which i had surgery on. Now i took the money and paid off my debt, paid off my house (investment), and paid for mods to my house and property to make things better, as well as furnature that helps me out quite a bit.

But as things get old or broken, it needs to be replaced, which now would only come from my regular pay. Some of these things they still look after but not all.

With that yes i still have quite a bit left over, and i can have wardwork done, and a bunch of other things but it all has a yearly end amount.

With the Pension I would have approx. $1500/mth, so that is money that can go to renewing anything they will not cover, and if i move it will go to new modification to the house / home, yard work if I'm not able to do it. And if a big ticket item like my bed needs repaired it could go to that as well.

I understand that there were alot of problems with the OVC but overall IMO is still a better system because you have constant funding. And if i needed to replace say my bed, i could save up the monthly pension cheques and buy a new one. Therefore making less hastle.

Jimmy_D said:
How am i absolutely wrong, if I had the monthly amount, that would be saying that it would have already been approved. Could use the pension better toward my disability then here is blank amount of $$$ which in reality would only last about x amount of yrs instead of a life time

Meaning that you had a hell of a harder time attaining a "monthly Pension, had to do a hell of a lot more work to obtain one, and when you were awarded, had to prove time and time again that you deserve the serves, that were entitled to you.

Trust me, I am Veteran Wounded under the "OVC".

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Meaning that you had a hell of a harder time attaining a "monthly Pension, had to do a hell of a lot more work to obtain one, and when you were awarded, had to prove time and time again that you deserve the serves, that were entitled to you.

Trust me, I am Veteran Wounded under the "OVC".

dileas

tess

Ok thank you for clearing that up, and for trusting you. Will do, Trust is something i live by, and with your past experiences i thank you for what you have shared and done.

Jimmy_D said:
Now I can understand that 55% for my injuries is alot of $ approx. $150,000. Which was great don't get me wrong. My main injury being my back, which i had surgery on. Now i took the money and paid off my debt, paid off my house (investment), and paid for mods to my house and property to make things better, as well as furnature that helps me out quite a bit.

But as things get old or broken, it needs to be replaced, which now would only come from my regular pay. Some of these things they still look after but not all.

With that yes i still have quite a bit left over, and i can have wardwork done, and a bunch of other things but it all has a yearly end amount.

With the Pension I would have approx. $1500/mth, so that is money that can go to renewing anything they will not cover, and if i move it will go to new modification to the house / home, yard work if I'm not able to do it. And if a big ticket item like my bed needs repaired it could go to that as well.

I understand that there were alot of problems with the OVC but overall IMO is still a better system because you have constant funding. And if i needed to replace say my bed, i could save up the monthly pension cheques and buy a new one. Therefore making less hastle.

Don't mistake the monetary payment, and what you are entitled to be covered for items.

You under the NVC still can have VAC pay for any item you require, to make your day ti day life comfortable.  Further to that, if your condition worsens, you can receive an additional Lump sum payment.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/poc

The Programs of choice, shows items you can be entitled to, and who can prescribe them.

Please stop muddying the waters with misinformation.

dileas

tess

From the London Free Press and shared with provisions of The Copyright Act

Feds to slash 36% from Last Post Fund budget
Jessica Murphy, Parliamentary Bureau, 05 Dec

http://www.lfpress.com/news/canada/2011/12/05/19071581.html

OTTAWA - Veterans Affairs plans to shave $4 million - or 36% - from the $11 million budget of federal program that ensures impoverished ex-soldiers are buried with dignity.

But Veterans Ombudsman Guy Parent and other stakeholders have been sounding the alarm that the Last Post Fund is already badly underfunded -- to the tune of $12 million a year.

The federal government has been aware of problems with its burial assistance program for vets since at least 2009.

That year, a federal audit raised concerns about the program and listed seven recommendations that included boosting funding, reducing red tape, and extending the program to all veterans - not just those who fought in the Second World War and Korean War.

Six recommendations were ignored.

Last July, Parent told QMI Agency he was optimistic new Veterans Affairs Minister Steven Blaney would bring much needed changes to the program.

Parent admitted Monday that optimism may have been misplaced.

"We haven't seen anything," he said, adding he wasn't aware of the department's plans to decrease funding to the program.

Active-duty soldiers, even RCMP officers, are entitled to a maximum of $12,700 to cover expenses if they die. But the funds impoverished veterans qualify for top out at $3,600 for a funeral -- a figure that hasn't changed since 2001.

The average cost of a funeral in Canada today is between $7,000 and $10,000, according to figures provided by the ombudsman's office.

And according to the Funeral Services Association of Canada, funeral-home directors have been quietly bearing the extra costs of burying destitute vets for years to ensure they are sent off with dignity.

A spokesman for Veterans Affairs said the grant to the Last Post Fund was decreased because of a decline in applications for assistance.

"If the need increases, we will make the necessary adjustments to ensure our Veterans and their families have the care and support they need," said Simon Forsythe.

But both Parent and Last Post Fund officials say the need is as great as ever.

In 2007, the fund processed some 16,000 applications for benefits under the burial program.

According to Ken Usher, western regional manager for the fund, the demand had been steady since, even rising slightly as some 1,500 aging veterans die each month.

"We're at the peak right now," he said.

This article from BCLocal News is shared with provisions of The Copyrighrt Act

This won't be helping the situation. It may even become worse later on.

Job cuts could see veterans ‘fall through cracks:' union
Erin McCracken, 07 Dec
http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/135215898.html

Virginia Vaillancourt is in the business of helping military veterans, but because there aren’t enough Veterans Affairs Canada staff and too many files, she says some vets are falling by the wayside.

“I’ve had clients pass away before I can get equipment to them,” said Vaillancourt, one of 47 people working at the Island’s main Veterans Affairs office, located in downtown Victoria. Five staff members work at CFB Esquimalt, helping Canadian Forces members transition to civilian life.

“(Veterans are) falling through the cracks,” she said.

Her office manages 22,500 active files, and Vaillancourt has 1,200 files, helping veterans or their widows acquire mobility devices, disability benefits and pensions, as well as helping them transition to civilian life.

Because her workload is so heavy, the Esquimalt resident said she still can’t get to paperwork from April. Some colleagues are assisting veterans as far away as Regina.

The Union of Veterans’ Affairs Employees is sounding the alarm that more job cuts are coming, in addition to 500 cuts planned nationally through 2015.

“More job cuts but not less work,” said Yvan Thauvette, the union’s national president, who was in Victoria Wednesday for the launch of a cross-country awareness campaign.

All federal departments were asked to identify areas in which five to 10 per cent of program spending could be trimmed to reduce the federal deficit. Thauvette said Veterans Affairs should be exempt.

“Because people are stressed, tired and burned out, it’s not the time to cut additional positions within that department.”

In response, the Ministry of Veterans Affairs did not entirely rule out a new wave of job cuts, but said current benefits will stay the same.

“It is anticipated that these changes will be achieved mostly through attrition,” said Jean-Christophe de la Rue, press secretary to the Veterans Affairs minister.

B.S.

Lets the bastards and basterdetts jump through the hoops.

"Because people are stressed, tired and burned out...." That's the Vets dealing with VAC, not the unionized VAC employees.

Virginia Vaillancourt : “I’ve had clients pass away before I can get equipment to them"
                                “(Veterans are) falling through the cracks,”

I can hear the infantryman saying to his section commander, Hey Sarge, I am stressed, tired and burned out. If I follow your orders, and live,  I may get hurt, and fall through VAC "cracks".

Hey Virginia, If you can't do the job, quit. Possibly VAC will hire someone who can.

Job cuts could see veterans ‘fall through cracks:' union

http://www.bclocalnews.com/news/135215898.html

By Erin McCracken - Victoria News
Published: December 07, 2011 5:00 PM
Updated: December 07, 2011 6:58 PM

Virginia Vaillancourt is in the business of helping military veterans, but because there aren’t enough Veterans Affairs Canada staff and too many files, she says some vets are falling by the wayside.

“I’ve had clients pass away before I can get equipment to them,” said Vaillancourt, one of 47 people working at the Island’s main Veterans Affairs office, located in downtown Victoria. Five staff members work at CFB Esquimalt?, helping Canadian Forces? members transition to civilian life.

“(Veterans are) falling through the cracks,” she said.

Her office manages 22,500 active files, and Vaillancourt has 1,200 files, helping veterans or their widows acquire mobility devices, disability benefits and pensions, as well as helping them transition to civilian life.

Because her workload is so heavy, the Esquimalt resident said she still can’t get to paperwork from April. Some colleagues are assisting veterans as far away as Regina.

The Union of Veterans’ Affairs Employees is sounding the alarm that more job cuts are coming, in addition to 500 cuts planned nationally through 2015.

“More job cuts but not less work,” said Yvan Thauvette, the union’s national president, who was in Victoria Wednesday for the launch of a cross-country awareness campaign.

All federal departments were asked to identify areas in which five to 10 per cent of program spending could be trimmed to reduce the federal deficit. Thauvette said Veterans Affairs should be exempt.

“Because people are stressed, tired and burned out, it’s not the time to cut additional positions within that department.”

In response, the Ministry of Veterans Affairs did not entirely rule out a new wave of job cuts, but said current benefits will stay the same.

“It is anticipated that these changes will be achieved mostly through attrition,” said Jean-Christophe de la Rue, press secretary to the Veterans Affairs minister.

emccracken@vicnews.com

Back