• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Merged 64 Pattern Rucksack thread

• Thread starter PTE Gruending
  • Start date

What is the better ruck sack?

• CF Issue Rucksack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pack 64 Jump Ruck

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
Does anyone know where I could find either a 64 pattern bag (I have the frame) or the US version from vietnam, the Lightweight Rucksack? I found one old 64 pat bag on St. Laurent but it was in terrible condition and they wanted 85 bucks for it. I think i'd actually prefer the US one, it seems to be a little bigger and it's made of a nice lightweight material.

Cheers,
Pinky

Trying to find a bag from the era in decent condition is going to be tough. I would say that your best bet is to buy a reproduced one. As stated earlier in the thread there are lots of places these can be had, CP gear, Dropzone, PPCLI kit shop etc.

Pte.Pinky said:
Does anyone know where I could find either a 64 pattern bag (I have the frame) or the US version from vietnam, the Lightweight Rucksack? I found one old 64 pat bag on St. Laurent but it was in terrible condition and they wanted 85 bucks for it. I think i'd actually prefer the US one, it seems to be a little bigger and it's made of a nice lightweight material.

Cheers,
Pinky

Why do you want an era bag? Theres better newer produced ones out there in better/stronger material, bigger pouches, etc.

If your serouis about getting a US lightweight ruck check out the link below, every now an than you see a few lightweight rucks up for sale but they usually get sold pretty fast, also ebay might be good.

http://www.mooremilitaria.com/one_of_a_kind.htm

The reason I'm looking for one of the old originals is because I'm a poor *******. Maybe I'm wrong but I assumed that one of the old bags would be cheaper than buying a new reproduction. Plus I don't have a credit card and convincing someone I know to let me use theirs for a purchase like that would be a little on the difficult side.

But maybe I'll just end up getting the CPGear bag, as it's the cheapest and I've heard good things about their products.

Thanks for the info guys.

Cheers,
Pinky

is there an online instruction pam on how to put together the 64 pattern ruck. Just bought one. :cdn:

This is for the old US issue "Lightweight Ruck" from Vietnam. I hear it's pretty similar to our 64 pat bags, and it uses the same frame

http://www.thevietnam-database.co.uk/HowtoRuck/Attaching.htm

Cheers,
Pinky

Go to your unit pam library - ask for a pam on winter warfare -  SPECIFIC OPERATIONS - ARCTIC - one of the OLDER editions will have a complete detailed instruction on how to assemble the 64 pattern rucksack.  If that fails, contact anyone in the QOR - tasked parachute element, or any one of the PARA Company reps from any of the  Reg F units - they might help you

where are you? I don't know where your regt is. If you're anywhere near Edmonton, stop by 3VP Sigs Stores. I'll give you a hand.

If it's too far, I'll help as best I can via PM.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/ael/pubs/300-002/B-GL-323/003/FP-001/B-GL-323-003-FP-001.pdf

There it is, read away!  It starts on page 47 of 455.  It has assy of Rucksack , Universal, C1 (which has since had the cotton duck bag replaced by the rubber one (early 70s) and re-named Rucksack, Universal C2).  Often erroneosly called "64 pattern ruck".  There is no 64 patt ruck, there IS however, a "Cargo Pack, 1964, which was issued with 64 pattern webbing.

But today Ruck Uni C1/2 is known as a "64 Pattern Ruck" to most people who are too young to have carried a Cargo Pack 1964 (still got mine! ;D)

"Feed your head." - Grace Slick

Tom

TCBF said:
There is no 64 patt ruck, there IS however, a "Cargo Pack, 1964, which was issued with 64 pattern webbing.
...most people who are too young to have carried a Cargo Pack 1964 (still got mine! ;D)

Is that the frameless pack that had 2 toggle closed external pouches on the ruck, a mesh back panel and had an integral zippered sleeping bag compartment?  If so, then yes, I have used that beast in the past (circa 1990). 

Yep.. that's the 1964 Cargo Pack.  Has a tump line, too.

Tom

Man, I used to hate the move to winter! Stow the ruck in the closet and bring out that shapeless POS. It was like carrying a drunk around on your back every where you went. Don't miss it for anything.

Best the other way around.  Cargo Pack 1964 with a half-bag in the summer, and Ruck C2 with full valise in the winter.  They stopped isuing the Cargo Packs, but we went Rucks all year round long before that.  We turned in the Cargo Packs when we turned in the 64 pattern webbing to get the 82 pattern. The Militia was never officially issued 1964 patt - going from 1951 patt (not 1954, 1954 patt is British) to 1982 patt, so most of them have not seen the cargo pack before.  No loss, guys.

Tom

Tom,

It was a long time ago, and an experience I thought I'd forgotten, so it's somewhat foggy. Thanks loads for dredging that up out of the grey sludge settling in the bottom of my skull! ;)

Well, probably still lots of photos around in old 'Sentinel" magazines and the like.  What, specifically, do you need to know?

Tom

I am thinking of orderinf the 64 pattern ruck from www.CPGear.com and I was just wondering, does it come with the frame? If not, where could i get one?

Try asking them.  I imagine it would, otherwise it's a bag, not a ruck.  Ask them.  But:  check out the price as well.

Tom

They want 85 bucks for the pack, but if you have ever put 60 lbs of kit and radio on a C2 Ruck, you know it hurts, so you might wan't to trick it out on your own, or with their Padded Hip Pad - $49 - Padded Yoke - $45 - Padded Yoke Pad $ 20, so now, we are up to $199 - plus the taxes - for a 40 year old pack that needed $114 of mods just so it won't kill you. 

I would say, try someone elses, and then try other rucks as well before you buy .

We hated that ruck when it was the only thing we had.  it was only ever good once we modded the heck out of it with padding for the hips and shoulders.  It was good to live out of - it won't fall over in the snow and dump your goch - but murder to carry. 

the only reason we kept it was because we could not jump the new one (82 pattern Large Pack), without bending it's frame.  To bend the frame of the C2 Ruck, you have to jettison it at about 800 feet AGL.  Preferably on a very dark night if you do it over the "A" (Remember that, Bell?  ;D).

Tom

Strongly recommend something modular. that way if you have to attach something your not hanging gear all over.

Back