• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Medal identification

Dogger

I don't quite understand the purpose of your thread.  I would understand it if you were just seeking to find out what the more uncommon medals people have awarded are.  However it seems to me you are insinuating that the type of medals and number of them that people have been awarded has some type of bearing on how well they can manage the legion.  I hope I am wrong, but that is the impression I am getting. 

dangerboy said:
Dogger

I don't quite understand the purpose of your thread.  I would understand it if you were just seeking to find out what the more uncommon medals people have awarded are.  However it seems to me you are insinuating that the type of medals and number of them that people have been awarded has some type of bearing on how well they can manage the legion.  I hope I am wrong, but that is the impression I am getting.

Not at all. Originally it was to identify a few medals I've never seen before while looking into who is running the legion. I was interested in who has the ear of government on behalf of veterans across Canada as a personal project. The question was asked above to post pic's of those who are in the legion command positions so I posted the command president photo's.

There is much discussion today about the legion no longer aligning with veteran issues; or being full of civilians with no vested interest in veterans issues. While many Canadians have served their country with 10 years of service (example) they may not have medals to display their service to Canada.

This post was merely to display who is representing each and every veteran in each command; as requested by another poster above.

It does however raise the question of does the legion represent veterans anymore due to the influx of civilians during the 80's- and 90's to stay afloat. is it truly a veterans organisation if one does not need to serve to represent veterans?

All great questions for another thread I'm sure.

dogger1936 said:
Who said anything about pond scum or Afghanistan besides you?

Trying to figure out where you are going with this thread. I thought originally that you were on a Walt hunt. Then there was some talk over the CD.

So, if the legion doesn't have enough veterans representing vets, would I, with no Afghanistan experience, represent "today's veterans" ?

CDN Aviator said:
Trying to figure out where you are going with this thread. I thought originally that you were on a Walt hunt. Then there was some talk over the CD.

So, if the legion doesn't have enough veterans representing vets, would I, with no Afghanistan experience, represent "today's veterans" ?

A veteran is a veteran. Problem being IIRC( from another thread here on army.ca) 80% of the legion has never served in any capacity. That's the issue; not a tour or time frame/ specific tour or medal. Korea, Germany, Peacetime, Bosnia, etc are all examples of veterans. Not had a uncle in WW2.

Dogger, I see your points here. The thread appears to have evolved from the origin to now one of military representation in the RCL command.

Absolutely no disrespect on my behalf towards the RCL hierarchy, but it does seem to be a little light on ordinary members who have actually put in extensive time in the CF, with exception to WWII vets or CIC personnel. Possibly this is why we did not see the support from the RCL we expected wrt the New Veteran's Charter issues?

As someone with 20+ full time military time, I decided to get involved with the RCL for a couple of reasons:

1. I owe it to the WWII and Korea vets who will need someone to give them honour as they pass on.

2. I owe it to those recent vets who need support from Canada and the RCL as they get older.

I definitely did not sign on to partake of cheap beer, spirited games of darts and to tell old war stories.  :)

If I had a vote it would go to Armyvern for CDS.

Thank you for the level-headed posting on the behalf of a civvy who supports both the RCL and the troops (both men and women) who have served us so well in times of war and peace, overseas or not.

please, enough with the RCL witch hunts. If you guys want to challenge the leadership, I would encourage any and all to do so. Change will only come with new leadership but since none of us will stand up, who are we to challenge those who do have the time, commitment and energy to further the cause of veteran's across the country.

p.s. the Legion (while viewed as one single entity) is dramatically different depending on your province. Some of our branches are simply leisure clubs but that still leaves plenty of branches and leadership who commit to remembrance, celebration of our servicemen/women and community service to our country.

Not a witch hunt at all.  Veterans have a duty to question organizations that claim to be veterans organization especially so when that organization has the ear of the government AND partakes in the blessing the NEW veterans' charter.  Remember that little policy, the one that leaves our wounded with 10% of what they would have got under the old charter.  I got a friend who at 51 has received more benefits and money under the old system for bad hearing in one ear than my friend who lost his arm on tour under the new system.

If they are going to sign on to that policy then I got to question the motives of this veterans organization.  Damn it, I got a right to question them and I do not fill the need to give them my money for permission to question!

Sheik, I sp your call for Armyvern for CDS.  I hope you didn't take offense from my comment wrt the RCL leadership; I fully understand the situation and agree with your comments on the post below.

I am not on any RCL witch hunt. I respect all those who give of their time to this venerable organization no matter what military service they have  or to what connection to those who have served exist.

I never take offence at constructive criticism...
I do however take offence at agendas that are being pursued by individuals that are not conducive to an orderly resolution of this NVC mess.

@ FraserDW, read the minutes of the various meetings during the run-up to the Charter and you will find that the NVC was enacted to remove ongoing liabilty from the Government.

Many groups, the legion included, expressed reservations about the new system but what can we do about it when all the veteran groups are splintering off into smaller organizations that don't command the attention of our member's of Parliament, the PMO, and the Prime Minister himself. (divide and conquer is their strategy and we are letting them win)

sheikyerbouti said:
but what can we do about it

Not standing there with the Government at the press conference announcing the NVC would have been a good start.

At the time of the introduction of the charter, there was an understanding that the NVC was to be considered as "a living document" subject to changes as they became evident.

The Legion, the ANAF, the WarAmps, and all other stakeholder's (including the CF services) got sold a big ass bridge. It started at the top with Parliament and the PMO, got shoved down your throats by the CDS and got even worse as the Operational tempo far exceeded what the accountants had projected for.

2 changes in political leadership later and a current majority in parliament and what is there to show for it? Nothing.

Every politician deserves to walk a mile (so to speak) in your shoes but they are far too comfy living it up on the Hill. Why leave the Ivory tower when the shitstorm might get messy. Blame them all equally, regardless of affiliation

sheikyerbouti said:
Every politician deserves to walk a mile (so to speak) in your shoes but they are far too comfy living it up on the Hill. Why leave the Ivory tower when the shitstorm might get messy. Blame them all equally, regardless of affiliation

So if all politicians deserve to walk a mile in veterans shoes; shouldn't all legion command positions walk a mile and be Veterans?

CDN Aviator said:
Not standing there with the Government at the press conference announcing the NVC would have been a good start.

Couldn't agree more.

What makes me vexed slightly is the legions constant fall back statement that "we agreed for it to be a living charter". Like that brings aide to injured vets under the NVC TODAY. it doesnt. They gave pensions away along with the 38th Parliament.

Here is their stance on the NVC:
http://www.legion.ca/_PDF/SBureau/PolicyAd_1_e.pdf

dogger1936 said:
...Like that brings aide to injured vets under the NVC TODAY. it doesnt. They gave pensions away along with the 38th Parliament.

You know what will actually change the NVC today? It ain't the Legion as they've never had the power to do that (nor does any other Veteran's Group for that matter) ...

It's the elected Conservative majority government currently sitting in Ottawa.  Pretty simple concept actually.

So you hate the Legion. I get it; I just don't need to hear about it every chance you guys get. You don't want to put the blame where it properly lies (elected officials in Government); you want to talk about lack of experience or service in the RCL, yet you won't join them and attempt to do SFA about it.

We have many RCL members on this site. Shit tonnes of them have CDs too.  ::) This is NOT Villify-the-Legion.ca

I'm pretty sure this constant tripe is getting old for them now too.

dogger1936 said:
You can always hit ignore. It works well.

You guys can always start one, "I hate the RCL" thread and leave your vileness there instead of adding your negative commentary whenever/wherever the RCL is mentioned. That works even better.  ::)

ArmyVern said:
You guys can always start one, "I hate the RCL" thread and leave your vileness there instead of adding your commentary whenever the RCL is mentioned. That works even better.  ::)

Maybe for you.

I personally find discussion breeds understanding and conversation fosters tolerance.

I appreciated many of the views expressed in favour of the legion.

Jed's comment about owing it to the Korea vet's. That gave me food for thought.

That's the great thing about opinions; If you can be appreciative to others views you may get a fuller picture.

While you seem to dislike any negative talking about the legion as it appears in discussion on this site; that doesn't really matter.

I have no problems with discussion; I have problems with your little crew slapping this tripe into every thread the RCL is mentioned. Get it? No, obviously not.  ::)

[ignore ... until the next thread you highjack with this tripe again ...]

ArmyVern said:
I have no problems with discussion; I have problems with your little crew slapping this tripe into every thread the RCL is mentioned. Get it? No, obviously not.  ::)

I appreciate your opinion.

ArmyVern said:
I've recently learned a new saying, "Hoop your forehead". Have no idea what it means, but here's to you.

I believe I told you to do that!!  Before I need to use that on the "back-pedaling Legion-haters" I guess I should explain. I think we all know where male inmates carry their drugs and stuff,....well the act of inserting that contraband is called "hooping",.hence.......eehh, I think ya' get it.

Dogger, maybe there isn't a whole lot of "CD"s on the senior Legion folks because too many who get out take the same "bitch and moan route" as you instead of getting involved?......hey, I'm just sayin'.

EDIT: fixed a grievous grammatical error

Back