• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PRes Courses and Specialty Training

Shaolin555

Reaction score
I am just wondering what the expectations should be regarding the availability or even desire for PRes command to send newer members on specialty training once they've completed the mandatory basic trades courses (Infanteer)? Wanted to get an idea if certain things were a pipe dream or reasonable to pursue. Thanks in advance! (In case its dependent on courses, things like jump, recon, sniper)

get thru basic and your trades course before you start dreaming of the higher level training courses.

I am just wondering what the expectations should be regarding the availability or even desire for PRes command to send newer members on specialty training once they've completed the mandatory basic trades courses (Infanteer)? Wanted to get an idea if certain things were a pipe dream or reasonable to pursue. Thanks in advance! (In case its dependent on courses, things like jump, recon, sniper)

Depending on what unit/arm/service you join, following your basic training, it might be entirely possible for you to participate in a Basic Reconnaissance Patrolling course. It's a good course, and is made available every once in awhile to reservists, mainly in combat arms/ Infantry units.

Sniper? Para? Very little chance, mainly due to course availability and requirement.

There is a very healthy shooting program underway in alot of Brigades these days, however, so you might find yourself on a shooting team competing locally, or nationally and internationally, if you qualify, regardless of arm/service. Some very prestigious shooting awards have been won by Service Battalion members, for example.

Having said that, you never know. I was always surprised at being told to submit names for the occasional 'good go' that I never imagined would be made available.

And, of course, we only nominated the best troops for those opportunities.

Depending on what unit/arm/service you join, following your basic training, it might be entirely possible for you to participate in a Basic Reconnaissance Patrolling course. It's a good course, and is made available every once in awhile to reservists, mainly in combat arms/ Infantry units.

Sniper? Para? Very little chance, mainly due to course availability and requirement.

There is a very healthy shooting program underway in alot of Brigades these days, however, so you might find yourself on a shooting team competing locally, or nationally and internationally, if you qualify, regardless of arm/service. Some very prestigious shooting awards have been won by Service Battalion members, for example.

Having said that, you never know. I was always surprised at being told to submit names for the occasional 'good go' that I never imagined would be made available.

And, of course, we only nominated the best troops for those opportunities.
Thank you, I really appreciate the insight!

Thank you, I really appreciate the insight!

NP...

FWIW, the Reserves also go through phases of assigning operational taskings to various units so, for example, you may get a chance at attending 81mm Mortar courses, pioneer courses, armoured recce courses, various types of driver training etc etc, depending on what unit you join.

Suffice it to say that there's usually alot going on...

NP...

FWIW, the Reserves also go through phases of assigning operational taskings to various units so, for example, you may get a chance at attending 81mm Mortar courses, pioneer courses, armoured recce courses, various types of driver training etc etc, depending on what unit you join.

Suffice it to say that there's usually alot going on...
lots going on is what I like to hear! thanks again

As long as you don’t get screwed out of summer training/employment because the OR lost your paperwork… 🤣

Back