• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Measures against a officer cadet

CombatDoc said:
Were you wearing a CF uniform at the time?  If so, then you definitely had a military CoC since you were a CF mbr.  FWIW, the DM is always a civilian, ditto for the MND and the PM.  Otherwise, we would call that a dictatorship which Canada most assuredly is not.
Wasn't that the Last Government under the Liberals?

my72jeep said:
The Civilian CO had CDT/2LT's. under them and had full Authority over them. One of them took 3 months to enroll the other took a bit over 5.
Do you mean Cadet Second Lieutenants (unusual to use cadet officer ranks except in a few remaining school corps) -- or CAF Second Lieutenants?  Perhaps it is just unfortunate short hand for members of the CIC Branch?

gwp said:
Do you mean Cadet Second Lieutenants (unusual to use cadet officer ranks except in a few remaining school corps) -- or CAF Second Lieutenants?  Perhaps it is just unfortunate short hand for members of the CIC Branch?
Typo Ocdt/2LT

CombatDoc said:
Were you wearing a CF uniform at the time?  If so, then you definitely had a military CoC since you were a CF mbr.  FWIW, the DM is always a civilian, ditto for the MND and the PM.  Otherwise, we would call that a dictatorship which Canada most assuredly is not.

Uhhhh, no, no I did not. I assure you, I was well aware of the org structure at the time. No military perseonnel were in my direct chain of command. There were other military personnel in the organization, but none I reported to, nor any that anyone I reported to reported to. The notion that all military people have a miltiary chain of command is just plain false. There's plenty of counter-examples. Again, my current personal example is as follows: me, civvy, civvy, civvy, civvy (project manager), military (Commodore), civvy (ADM), civvy (DM), minister etc. Now, I've got one CAF member in my chain of command... which leaves the question, who exactly is his military chain of command? Because he doesn't work directly for the CMS, the CDS, etc.

gcclarke said:
Uhhhh, no, no I did not. I assure you, I was well aware of the org structure at the time. No military perseonnel were in my direct chain of command. There were other military personnel in the organization, but none I reported to, nor any that anyone I reported to reported to. The notion that all military people have a miltiary chain of command is just plain false. There's plenty of counter-examples. Again, my current personal example is as follows: me, civvy, civvy, civvy, civvy (project manager), military (Commodore), civvy (ADM), civvy (DM), minister etc. Now, I've got one CAF member in my chain of command... which leaves the question, who exactly is his military chain of command? Because he doesn't work directly for the CMS, the CDS, etc.
Well Lt(N), we'll just have to agree to disagree.  If you wear the uniform as an RCN officer, then you have someone in a military CoC that you ultimately report to.

CombatDoc said:
Well Lt(N), we'll just have to agree to disagree.  If you wear the uniform as an RCN officer, then you have someone in a military CoC that you ultimately report to.

Yes and no.  It depends on what you mean by "report to."  There are plenty of examples where military members will never report to another military member in any practical sense.  Thus GC Clarke's comments are "more correct."  Having said that, however, ultimately, the CDS is responsible for the leadership of the CF (says that right in the NDA), so in fact, the CDS, who is a military member, is in all of our Chains of Command. 

The most important aspect of the phrase "Chain of Command" is the "chain" part. For someone to truely be considered in your chain of command, you need to be able to clearly demonstrate how ultimately they report to you, perhaps with a number of subordinates in between, or you to them, perhaps with some superiors in between. It's a chain of command because it's a series of single links upwards. No one has more than one immediate superior in the chain of command, otherwise it would be a web of command.

To say that the CDS is in my chain of command because he's responsible for the leadership of the CF sounds like trying to hand-wave away that principle. Dotted lines on an org chart do not a chain of command make.

Back