• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Math for Combat Engineers (merged)

I can't give you the official answer because i'm not a recruiter but I've seen MANY engineers with highschool gr 10~11 math
I am sure that you can probably take the online courses or nighschool provided by the province. As far as they are up to the government standards and been approved by the board of education they'll count as legitimate transcript.
For alternatives, I would recommend contacting the local CFRC.

Good luck

I would suggest obtaining a couple of Schaum outline books-----these are available at most university bookstores----they are cheap, quite good but require discipline and effort to use.

Two that I would recommend are

"BASIC MATHEMATICS with applications to science and technology Second Edition or later" --- H. Krulak et al.,
ISBN 0-07-037182-6

Review the topics where you are weak in the first 10 chapters---then work on
Ch.11 Geometry, Ch.13 Trigonometry, Ch.14 Solving Right Trianglels Ch.15 Vectors, Ch.16 Radian Measure.

These topics underly much of basic engineering and physics.

The second book would be

"ENGINEERING MECHANICS - Statics and Dynamics 5th Edition" - E.W Nelson et al.,
ISBN 0-07-046193-7

Read the first 9 Chapters---starts with Vectors and progresses through the statics portion of the book-----this should be sufficient for almost all basic military applications.

It is very important to do lots of problems----there are many worked examples with answers in these books.  When you read these books the best strategy is to read the theory, look at a few worked examples(no more than 20 minutes at a time for this) then spend about 40 minutes working on related problems.  This strategy will mazimize your retention of the material.

Good Luck,

Bearpaw (Ph.D. in Mathematics)

Both extremely helpful! Thanks so much. I'll definitely check out those books. Thanks a lot!

Get to know triangles, functions, fractions, decimals, proportions, and Area/volume measurement, and you'll do fine.

My :2c:
What ever math course you take or where wont matter. If you can do the Math required, then you can do it. No piece of paper or lack there of is going to change that. So learn away! Knowing more is never a bad thing.;D

I am not a Combat Engineer so I cannot comment on the day to day math requirement there. But from the experiences recounted to me by a good friend and former Combat Engineer/Pioneer, if you are at all interested in getting into the Demolition side of things, you will require a strong understanding of advanced math to get your Dems ticket. Form what I've been told it is quite intensive.

But like I said, you can never learn too much. If your keen to advance your math, then do it I say! :salute:

JB 11 11 said:
if you are at all interested in getting into the Demolition side of things, you will require a strong understanding of advanced math to get your Dems ticket. Form what I've been told it is quite intensive.

There is no "dems ticket". It is a core competency of our trade, and even in the Pioneer and Assault Trooper specialties, there is no "ticket". It is part of the qualification, which you either receive or don't. You don't get partial points  :stirpot:

To the OP: High school math is all that is required. The math is very simple, even when figuring out how to drop a bridge, and all the calculations are taught as the classes progress. At the DP1 (basic trade) level, the calcs are so simple, even a caveman can do it  ;) Even some of the more advanced calculations required in subjects at the DP3A and B levels are quite simple, and are laid out in the associated pub. In short, if you can read, operate a calculator and can remotely remember basic math functions, you'll be fine. That being said, educational upgrades are never a bad thing, and if you have a hard time even doing basic calculations, then some extra classes will help. Of course, when you hit the aptitude test, you'll find out for sure if you have the math skills to be successful in our trade.

Good luck

Hey... don't shoot the messenger.... Im just repeating the lingo used by the guy who did it. He's served with both the Engineer's and RCR and has 25 years in, so I simply figure he knew what he was talking about. Didn't mean to step on any toes.... I stand corrected :salute:

Back