• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marks / Grades: School / GED or PLAR [MERGED]

• Thread starter Thread starter SteelMag
  • Start date Start date
Kat Stevens said:
By the way, I'll say it again, intelligence and education are irrelevant to each other. So, by the way, are education and maturity.

CHIMO,   Kat

How can you say that education doesn't play any part in maturing? Learning is maturing, and bettering one's self. I will agree that in some cases people who haven't gone throught the full high school program have matured quickly, because of the need to grow up fast so a job can be attained to support one's self for example. But I do not at all believe that a grade 10 to 11 student at this current day and age is mature enough to handle all of the responsibilities of being in the CF. (that being said there are exceptions and I 100% will agree that these exceptions to the rule are some of the greatest soldiers to be churned out by any battle school.) But by going to schools every day as a recruiter you begin to notice the difference in maturity between a 16 year old applying and an 18 year old applying. Along with the questions they ask, and the way they percieve the CF.

I'm assuming you're looking at this from a P Res viewpoint. In that regard you are correct; NO 16 year old belongs in a military uniform, he should be cruising the main drag in mom's mini van (pipe down before you start, cadets). However, I maintain that a 4.0 GPA and a degree from Moe's Barber College and Tavern will not produce a better, more mature infanteer, engineer, gunner, or crewman.  In fact, overeducated soldiers are all too fond of having to know "why?".  It is becoming prevalent, even accepted, to question every slightest command, and I for one don't like it.  In case it isn't obvious, BTW,  I am one of those uneducated dropouts who joined the army at 17 (army, not Res).  Return fire if you wish....

CHIMO,  Kat

well im a 17 year and im join the reserves do u think that this is to young?

Did you actually READ my last sentence?  What do YOU think my answer is?

CHIMO,  Kat

For the grade required to join, I think the current situation is fine.  As for maturity, isn't that what the hole application process is for?  I mean if I was a drinking, drug abusing teen (I'm 16) I think the interviewer would have probably picked up on that.  But I also think it depends on the trade you are applying for, as some of the different ones require a more advanced education.  I am just starting in the reserves, but I think i have the maturity to handle it, and to be a contributer for my regiment.

Hello, I'm new here; I'm joining the reserves this summer(Calgary Highlanders) and I would have to say the current system is just right. If you do not give younger people the opportunity to see what the forces really are, they just might join the regulars fresh out of high school and find themselves in something much deeper than they had hypothesised. 'Have a Glimpse and see what you think' that's what my Gramps told me too do before he passed on, and he should know being a career soldier who himself joined at 16.

Alrighty, Im 17 years old, I am a good student, however I am the typ that doess good in class, but doesnt do any homework. So im taking mostly grade 10 classes atm, since I didnt finish my grade 10s, is there a way i can join without having my grade 10? As long as I pass the test?

I plan on joining this year ASAP.

Sounds like you received a lot of good advice. Stay in school, go Reserve if that is an option. Start researching your occupation choice(s) now, in case there are specific academic requirements. Stay fit, stay out of trouble and stay away from drugs.

Phone or visit your nearest recruiting centre.

Best of luck.

One last thing, does highschool Co-op education count as job experience.

Just a (rhetorical) question...

How many of you asking about minimum educational requirements would settle for being accepted based on meeting the minimum physical standards?

In other words, would you be satisfied at getting out the minimum push-ups, sit-ups, etc. to get in? Or do you push yourself to be better and stronger than the minimum?

Why is education any different? Getting a high school diploma (or GED if the classroom isn't your forte) isn't something you should do to get into the military. It is something you should do for yourself because if things don't work out or the army ends up not being your 'cup of tea'...you are going to be damn glad you finished high school...better yet, college or university.

It's just something to think about...IMHO

:cdn:

OK so I'm in a REALLY unusual situation here.. long story but basically, I've been home-schooled right through from grade 1 until now (currently grade 12)
What makes this unusual is my parents don't follow the alberta curriculum, they have created their own for myself and my siblings. So here I am, 18 and in "grade 12" and I have no core course credits, the only courses that are actually on my highschool transcript are options, which I did take from an actual school (since my parents couldn't teach phys ed. etc.)
basically, what I'm trying to find out is: does the army require core 10 level courses as a minimum? do I HAVE to have those courses, would they possibly accept a letter of equivalency from my principal?
I'm trying to figure out what to do here, the other requirements for recruitment should not be a problem, I've been doing a lot of reading on this.. I very much want to join within the next year at some point.

On the CF website it states:

"meet the minimum education requirements for your entry plan and/or occupation;
this can vary from Grade 10 (Sec III in Quebec) for combat arms occupations to a university degree for the Direct Entry Officer entry plan."

I guess you would have to see a recruiter to find out exactly what requirements you need for the job you want, and figure out if the schooling you have is seen as an "equivalence" to what you need.

I am soon joining the army and I have an important question. I live in Hamilton Ontario and I currently have 16.5 highschool credits. On the application papers I have read that you need 15 credits on I have also read that you need your grade ten. I am currently .5 credits short of my grade ten but I have the 15 credits. will this be good enough to join or do I need the extra .5 credit for my grade ten before i can join?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks 

it says that you need to have grade 10, but you can easily double check as to whether or not you have enough by simply going to your nearest Recruiting Center, the  RC will be able to tell you for sure if 15 credits is enough or if the grade 10 issue would have to be resolved.
Good luck

My younger brother is in the same situation.  He's in Gr. 10 and will have 16 credits by the end of this school year.  However, he wanted to start the application process earlier so he could do BMQ/SQ during this coming summer.  He was told by the recruiter to get a letter written and signed by those teachers he has currently saying something to the effect of "I am confident that so and so will gain this credit at the end of this school year".  So basically by the time he would hypothetically go on basic this summer he will have the required number of credits.

no you are all wrong i think you dont need credits that way you need 6 completed grade 10 corses. so ya you need 6 credits for completed corses im in the joining prosess right now

903BCDragoons said:
no you are all wrong i think you dont need credits that way you need 6 completed grade 10 corses. so ya you need 6 credits for completed corses im in the joining prosess right now

Listen DA you live in BC and others live in different provinces so maybe the credits required for Grade 10 might be different?  In Ontario you need 15 and in BC you need 6.

yea here in ontario it says you need 15 credits now whether you are done grade 10 or not it says u need at least 15 credits so check it out at your local RC but im sure you'll be fine.
As well DA it says gr. 10 or equivalent so our 15 credits are equivalent to your 6
Good luck with your application

Cheers  :salute:

yea here in ontario it says you need 15 credits now whether you are done grade 10 or not it says u need at least 15 credits

Sigh,  In Ontario you need 15 credits which is the minimum to complete Gr 10.

Back