• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marks / Grades: School / GED or PLAR [MERGED]

• Thread starter Thread starter SteelMag
  • Start date Start date
Armageddon said:
Honestly, finishing your highschool is the best thing you can do for yourself right now.   The military will still be here in 2years and if you want in then it leaves you in a lot better position and as was previously stated it leaves you with a backup plan in the event that you decide the military isn't for you.   I know that it is one of the first things a lot of employers will look at before anything else and why would you want to limit your options.

Speaking of grades there armagedon...shouldn't you be studying met or radar or something ?

When I turn 16 I plan to join the reserves until high school is done then transfer to regs. That way there is no comitment so if school and the army is to stressful I can just drop the reserves until i'm done school and I will have some good experience when I go for regs. Maybe you should look into the reserves. :cdn:

Here is my story.  I dropped out with 12 credits about 4 years ago.  STUPIDEST thing I ever did.  When the time came that I wanted to apply to the RegF, I went to my old school to see if I could re-enroll for a semester to get the 15 credits.  They told me that since I had been out of school and worked so much that they would give me 3 maturity credits. 

The CFRC said obviously that it is preferred that I had grade 12 and would make me more competitive, but he would accept my application.

In the time it has taken to get in, I have taken several steps to increase my education including correspondence courses, and I am now in the process of setting up my GED exam.  The CFRC was very happy to see this.

One last comment re: schooling vs. smarts.  Amongst the many factory and fast food jobs I have worked at, I have never seen anything to suggest that having a piece of paper called a diploma or degree, makes someone better or smarter.  I have seen university students working at Subway and as temps at the factories, and I have seen dropouts running these places.

These are all my own views and experiences and none are meant to insult or offend anyone, hope it helps.  Cheers!!

Why would anybody want to drop out of high school in order to get a career in the armed forces. Don't get me wrong, the Canadian Forces does have alot of great jobs, but if a person were to drop out of high school then are'nt they limiting the different oppurtunities they have with the CF. For example their are three jobs which I would really enjoy doing with the Canadian Forces, Firefighting, Military Police, and Infantry. For all of those I want to keep my options open so I'm pursuing an education, while also applying to the reserves. Why not apply to the reserves part time, get and education, or at the least a high school diploma or GED.

What if you are a grade 11 student that failed a grade ten class but still has more then 15 credits would they accept you or would they say waite till you pass the grade 10 course. A little off topic but does anyone know    if the windsor reserve unit has alot of people trying to get in. Are past jobs a requirment  ? Im only asking because i want to join the reserves first then join reg. but i never had a real job at Mcdonalds , etc.

USSRsovietsnake said:
What if you are a grade 11 student that failed a grade ten class but still has more then 15 credits would they accept you or would they say waite till you pass the grade 10 course. A little off topic but does anyone know if the windsor reserve unit has alot of people trying to get in. What are the odds of getting in i was told 4/10.

Buddy, I just said I only have 12 academic credits + 3 maturity credits.  It's kind of a technicality because half the time they say 15 credits, and the other half the time they say Grade 10.  It's not the honourable way to get in, but it is possible.  I'm glad to say that I'll have my GED before my application goes to selection board. 

FINISH THE SCHOOLING.

I didnt really understand what you said in the first post but your in the army now? For some reason i think that trying to get into the army is like trying to apply as a brain surgeon ( :. I was told 4/10 people make it in, if you only had 12 credits and the 3 maturity credits and you got in what are the other 6/10 people doing so wrong? Are they mostly the unfit people who just decided one day to try and join with no effort to get fit befor hand?

OK thanks. How it's worded from requirment sheet to requirment sheet is fairly confusing at times.

USSRsovietsnake said:
What if you are a grade 11 student that failed a grade ten class but still has more then 15 credits would they accept you or would they say waite till you pass the grade 10 course. A little off topic but does anyone know      if the windsor reserve unit has alot of people trying to get in. Are past jobs a requirment   ? Im only asking because i want to join the reserves first then join reg. but i never had a real job at Mcdonalds , etc.

15 Academic credits will do.  What unit are you attempting to join. If it comes down to a pinch, we'll merit list people based on there MP score.

What's the relevance here?  Generations of Ruperts have proven that the correlation between education and inteligence is tenuous.  The army is full of people who can calculate the square-root of a jar of pickles, but can't figure out how the lid comes off...IMHO

CHIMO,  Kat

Stay in school and get your Yr 12, and join the Militia til you're done, then if you like the taste of CF life, then go into the Regular Army.

My advice, take it as you wish.

Cheers,

Wes

or this is just the approach that Ive taken join the reserves finish school then apply for a transfer to the regular force well thats just me i don't know about anyone Else

regards
B.McTeer

I am going to try and join the reserves in windsor. Any tips on getting accepted, as in get glasses before i go if i seem to need them, or get a real job as in working at Mcdonalds or something like that, waite a year then try to apply again? If you have only worked at a job a short time before applying or havn't had one will they almost always reject you and tell you to find a job and stick with it for 6 months?

Just to continue beating the dead and decaying horse.. Stay in school and get your grade 12. It's another couple of years (I know, two years still seems like a long time even to myself, but look at the big picture)

Why not get the free education now?

Id rather have someone with the maturity of a high school graduate. That can understand whats going on and has enough education that they can write a memo, without consulting others several times in regards to spelling and grammar.

I feel that a 16 year old doesn't have the maturity to hold a as important as a reservist or a reg force ncm. Therefore I would love to see the CFRC's bump the age to 18 so we can take highschool graduates. Even if it lowers our recruiting numbers.

Most of the older student's that attend the school like to party drink and do drug's, Just talking to them you can tell they have nothing at all going for them and i dont want to end up like that. If the recruiters think you are good enough to be accepted in some cases over older people, whats wrong with people in highschool joining. 18 years old today is about the equivalent to a 14 year old on the maturity scale i have noticed so i some what know where you are coming from.

CFN. Orange said:
Id rather have someone with the maturity of a high school graduate. That can understand whats going on and has enough education that they can write a memo, without consulting others several times in regards to spelling and grammer.

I'm sure you meant "grammar", didn't you?  By the way, I'll say it again, intelligence and education are irrelevant to each other. So, by the way, are education and maturity.

CHIMO,  Kat

I went back to High School (Night School) and finished it up!!

If you want a technical trade/occupation, and not having Grade 11/12 Math. U will suffer!! TRUST ME!

Like the Forum says, STAY IN SCHOOL!

I was talking to a PDEV Officer and they are seriously considering making everybody have a Grade 12 equivalence as part of the NCM professional progression DP's. (This an idea and not reality as of yet)

like an Officer doing OPME's............

Back