• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Marks / Grades: School / GED or PLAR [MERGED]

• Thread starter Thread starter SteelMag
  • Start date Start date
My grades were a 79.5% average in grade 9 about 72% in grade 10 79% in grade 11 80% in grade 12 and with grade 13 my average should be for grade 12 should be 85%.

I am not accepted or anything, but i am at one of the final phases of the application process, I have an interview tomorrow.

I really think as long as you can maintain a 75% (Althought i'd aim for 80%+) that is all that matters for marks, but really they are looking for well rounded people, who can multi task and still be successful as well as leadership potential

runormal said:
I really think as long as you can maintain a 75% .........

The ability to capitalize in the appropriate places wouldn't hurt either.

To say that 75% is all that matters for marks is not true. It CAN be true some years, and can be wrong other years. Some years you aren't competitive if you don't have a 90% average. It really matters on what the rest of the applicant pool is like, and that is impossible to know. The only way to increase your chances, is to increase the quality of your application. Marks are a large part of your application. I would aim as high as you possibly can, don't feel satisfied with 75, 80, 90 or even 95. It shows a lot if you are doing great, but you are still trying to do better.

Thanks but now that i think about it ill probably just be going into the reg force when i get out of highschool maybe RMC isent right for me, i think i'd probably like it more to as an NCO.

Denreyer said:
Thanks but now that i think about it ill probably just be going into the reg force when i get out of highschool maybe RMC isent right for me, i think i'd probably like it more to as an NCO.

Even NCOs have to be literate.

Denreyer said:
right now im a grade 11 student just finishing up my first semester. i heard that rmc looks at your grades from all your years and my grades through 9-10 werent that great, this year ill prob finish with about 70-75%. i was just wondering would there be any chances of me still getting into rmc if i were to finish good in grade 12 and 2nd semester grade 11 with say high 70s low 80s maybe balancing my overall grades in highschool to maybe 75ish. i was planning on doing the reserves this year but cause of my late birthday it was all ready full by the time i applyed so im hoping to get into that soon as possible to get me started.  if i dont get into rmc my other plan was that i would just go in as an NCO in the RCR. anyways just wondering if anyone can give me any thoughts.

Thanks.
Denreyer

Please allow me to give you some advice, based on many years of experience.  Learn the meanings of the following words:  spelling, grammar, syntax and punctuation.  Then, learn how these are used and learn to use them.  If the above is any indication of your writing skills, you're future in the CF is limited.  Contrary to popular belief, the growth in use of electronic communications devices and software has not lessened the requirement for writing skills.  In fact, writing skills are more important than ever as computers software is much more demanding of correct input.  It's either right or it's wrong and if it's wrong, it's rejected.  Computers don't really try to guess what you meant to say.

You will not survive at RMC, or any university or college for that matter, without more skill than you have thus far demonstrated.  Even if you decide not to attempt to become an officer, writing skills are still important.  Don't be the subordinate whose work always has to be re-written (not just edited, but completely re-written) by his superior.  If you are that subordinate, your chances of progression are very slim.  Get thee to an English teacher and get some help!  You'll be glad you did.

Pusser i was just asking for advice, i dont think i was trying to impress anyone with spelling and grammar when i was writing it.

Honestly I can't see why all of you must criticize my post for the bad the punctuation, like I said before I was merely just asking advice on what to do. Also, I've been talking to alot of officers lately and honestly and its sounds pretty boring to me. soo whatever that was why I was thinking of going NCO now. So thanks and no thanks

Denreyer, I'm going to put it nicely before a mod steps in and puts you on the warning ladder...

Your spelling, grammar, syntax, punctuation, etc, matter on this site BECAUSE YOU AGREED TO USE THEM PROPERLY when you signed up for your account. If you can't follow simple directions now, why would any of us think you can in the CF? You piss and moan about what Pusser said, but you could end up working for him, or another member of this site, someday. Do you really want to make such a terrible first impression? If you think it doesn't matter, I suggest you wait on applying to the CF, as I believe you will not be happy with the process, or the outcome.

Its just fustrating that I just quickly made this account to just post that one question and still people like you are coming along just to criticize.

Denreyer said:
Its just fustrating that I just quickly made this account to just post that one question and still people like you are coming along just to criticize.

Get used to it.  You have a lot to learn, and if you maintain a "What the F do you know" or "I am the center of the known universe" attitude, you will be butting heads with people rather than getting any benefit of their knowledge and experience.

It has been stated too many times on this site, to people too lazy to read the Army.ca Conduct Guidelines when they join, that we are maintaining a "professional" site here where people are expected to post in a "professional manner" which means the use of correct English, spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc.  If you don't want to follow the rules you supposedly agreed to, you are just as welcome to visit some other site that may put up with your attitude and MSM speak.  Be warned, that a poor attitude reflected here, and in the CF, will most assuredly result in your expulsion. 

For your consideration.

GW

Denreyer said:
soo whatever that was why I was thinking of going NCO now.

No. You are thinking of joining as an NCM.

You are far from becoming an NCO.

CDN Aviator said:
No. You are thinking of joining as an NCM.

You are far from becoming an NCO.

To amplify this for the aspirant recruit, a 'non-commissioned member' is exactly that. A member of the forces without a commission. A 'non-commissioned officer' is one who has already spent enough time as an NCM to have risen a few ranks and received some training and (hopefully more) mentoring sufficient to make them fit to lead and command other soldiers. You may in time rise to be an NCO, which is not to despised, but you most certainly won't 'just go NCO' in any regiment, never mind The RCR. NCMs are typically your privates and corporals (though a corporal will often enough 'step up' and lead other troops), whereas NCOs are Master Corporals and above. Typically, an NCO will have other more junior troops working for them.

Brihard said:
NCMs are typically your privates and corporals (though a corporal will often enough 'step up' and lead other troops), whereas NCOs are Master Corporals and above.

Not quite.

NCM is everyone from Private to CWO.

NCOs are Corporals ( and by extension, Master Corporals) and Sgts.

I used the search tool, but everything I read didn't really answer my question. With some extent, it did, but I need a bit more info.

Okay, so when I was in high school, I was lost and didn't know what I wanted with my life. From this, I didn't really think grade were important so I didn't register for all of these courses like Physics, Chemistry, History, etc. All I registered for was just to meet the minimum requirements. Still, my grades weren't that great and I only had a B average mainly because I didn't have many academic courses. P.E. was pretty much all I cared about and I was excited everyday to go because sports is what I enjoyed. I didn't study a lot, but when I did, it really paid off and it showed because I was on the verge of failing Biology 11 so I studied my butt off and aced the written part of the exam. I passed the class with 50%. I'm not proud of that now that I realize how pathetic it is, but at the time, I was happy just to get by. My English 12 mark was 58% I believe and I only took Applications of Math 11, which I passed with 68 or 69%. When I studied a lot, I actually had the highest mark in the class at one point with 98% then I had troubles with two sections of the class and did poorly on the tests. In 2008, I graduated and now that I look back at it, I am not happy what I have accomplished, but I have to learn from my mistakes and live with them. I moved to Ottawa in Summer of 2009 and went to Algonquin College of Applied Arts and Technology to pursue Photography. It's something I really enjoy, but I wasn't determined enough anymore because I didn't see the point to waste the money knowing I can learn everything at my own home and from friends and other photographers, even the internet. I withdrew in March because I had no chance of passing second semester simply because I flew back home to Vancouver to experience the last couple days of Olympics. In the Summer of 2010, I moved back to Langley, BC, part of Vancouver. During the Photography experience, I did take another English course and I think I passed with 70%. That kind of helps to make up for my grade 12 English, but it's not the same. My GPA at Algonquin was just over 2 - 2.5 because I lost complete interest in the program. I regret not trying there as well. Now I am here in University taking five classes and I am trying my best to keep up with the course load and I hope I do better. I mainly have troubles with determination. I'm still kind of lost so this is why I don't really have determination and aspiration to do well at school because I am not sure what I want to do, but lately I keep telling myself to apply for the Canadian Forces.

This leads me to this. I know certain areas in the CF's require certain grades or education, but the one's I am interested in don't really require it. I am interested in:

Aerospace Control Operator
Air Weapons Systems Technician
Airborne Electronic Sensor Operator
Aircraft Structures Technician
Aviation Systems Technician

and a couple more.

Will the recruiters decline me just because of my high school grades? I sure hope not because I have one heck of a story to tell and I am definitely capable of doing well. I am really lost and really need a wake up call and a step in the right direction and I feel this is what I want to do and I have been considering this for a couple years now. Now that I look back, I have been interested in the forces for quite some time. I worry a lot and think I would get declined for certain reasons. It's tough staying positive knowing you didn't do good in school.

Oh yeah, I have never smoked and never engaged in drugs, EVER! I have absolutely nothing to hide so my honesty, willingness to try and stories may possibly make the recruiters think I'm a good applicant.

Thanks for reading this and sorry if this has been posted before.

derekrobitaille said:
because I have one heck of a story to tell

Everyone has "one heck of a story to tell"

It doesnt matter.

You either meet entry requirements for your chosen trade or you don't.

If you meet them, you get to potentialy join the CF in that capacity. Certain trades have very few vacancies so the more competitive you are...........

I understand. Why is it only you can apply for three trades? Say you somehow aren't eligible for the trades you applied for due to the CFAT test, can you choose another trade from the list? Also, if a position has been taken, can the recruiters offer you another job instead?

derekrobitaille said:
I understand. Why is it only you can apply for three trades? Say you somehow aren't eligible for the trades you applied for due to the CFAT test, can you choose another trade from the list? Also, if a position has been taken, can the recruiters offer you another job instead?

Then that would indicate that things haven't changed.

derekrobitaille said:
........... I was lost and didn't know what I wanted with my life.

If you are not qualified for a Trade after you do your CFAT, you will be given the opportunity to pick Trades that you do qualify for.  If you don't qualify for any Trades, perhaps it is an indication that you need to go back to school and study so that you can qualify for a Trade.

derekrobitaille said:
I'm still kind of lost so this is why I don't really have determination and aspiration to do well at school because I am not sure what I want to do, but lately I keep telling myself to apply for the Canadian Forces.

Before you go and talk to the Recruiter, there's something else you need to think about.

Do not be misled by all those Hollywood depictions of army training as endless days of obstacle courses, throwing grenades, firing ranges and patrolling in swamps by night. The other part they don't show, which applies to every trade, and especially to some of those technical trades you seem to be interested it, is the amount of time military recruits and trained personnel spend in the classroom.  There will be many hours of classroom lectures (some of them not very exciting at all), taking of notes, studying those notes, and taking both practical and written tests.  The difference is you don't get to slack off and hope to cram for the final to bring your mark up.  We require you to pass every test on the first try, and there will be hoops to jump through to get a second chance.  After a few failing test scores you may find you have failed a course because of a "lack of determination." Losing that determination during a course could find you back on the street wondering what to do with your life.  Choose carefully.

Back