• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Manitoba Regiment.

Reaction score
0
Points
0
Greetings friends. I wonder if anyone can help me find out some information on the Manitoba Regiment during World War One. A great uncle of mine emigrated from Liverpool to Canada and joined the 16 Battalion of the Manitoba Regiment. He was killed on 1 May 1915 and is buried in Germany. I would like to know something of the history of the 16 Battalion and where it served during the war, but there doesn't seem to be much information on the internet about it. If anyone has any information or can direct me to a web site, I would be very grateful.

Best regards,

Ronnie.
 

Michael Dorosh

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Do a google on

16th Battalion (Canadian Scottish), Canadian Expeditionary Force.

This was a battalion raised from 4 Canadian militia regiments; the 50th Gordon Highlanders, 72nd Seaforth Highlanders, 91st Argylls and the 79th Cameron Highlanders.

There is some info on the battalions at my site, but the website of The Canadian Scottish Regiment (Princess Mary's) will yield you some better info - they are the modern day descendants of the 16th.

the 16th served in the 1st Canadian Division and fought in every major Canadian battle of the First World War.

Your relative is NOT buried in Germany.   You can use his name at the Veteran's Affairs database - google Virtual Memorial - and find his exact resting place.

EDIT - link to Canadian Virtual Memorial - http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/virtualmem

Good luck.
 

Old Sweat

Army.ca Fixture
Donor
Reaction score
3
Points
380
Actually there was a Manitoba Regiment, which was organized in March 1917 as part of the introduction of a regimental territorial system. According to the official history of the Canadian Army in the First World War pp 224-226, "the reserve battalions in the United Kingdom were grouped with their affiliated battalions in France into Territorial Regiments bearing provincial designations. Later in the summer the scheme was extended to include units in Canada. . . A Territorial Regiment now comprised Depot battalions serving in Canada, reserve battalions in England, and battalions in France.

The Manitoba Regiment consisted of 1st Depot Battalion, Manitoba Regiment, 11th Reserve Battalion which fed the 16th, 27th and 43rd Battalions and the 18th Reserve Battalion which did the same for the 8th, 52nd and 78th Battalions. Thus the Manitoba Regiment had one depot, two reserve and six active battalions.

Hope this helps.
 

Michael Dorosh

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Old Sweat said:
Actually there was a Manitoba Regiment, which was organized in March 1917 as part of the introduction of a regimental territorial system. According to the official history of the Canadian Army in the First World War pp 224-226, "the reserve battalions in the United Kingdom were grouped with their affiliated battalions in France into Territorial Regiments bearing provincial designations. Later in the summer the scheme was extended to include units in Canada. . . A Territorial Regiment now comprised Depot battalions serving in Canada, reserve battalions in England, and battalions in France.

The Manitoba Regiment consisted of 1st Depot Battalion, Manitoba Regiment, 11th Reserve Battalion which fed the 16th, 27th and 43rd Battalions and the 18th Reserve Battalion which did the same for the 8th, 52nd and 78th Battalions. Thus the Manitoba Regiment had one depot, two reserve and six active battalions.

Hope this helps.

I really need to buy that copy of A CALL TO ARMS - thanks for the clarification, I will edit my first post.
 
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Thanks for the replies. Michael, he is buried at Niederzwehren Cemetery which is in western Germany. This is why I'd like to find out about the regiment. Someone in the family was under the impression he had died in the Dardanelles Campaign, but when I looked at the Virtual Memorial, it gives his grave as Niederzwehren. I was wondering if he had been taken prisoner by the Turks and died later or perhaps hadn't been in the Dardanelles after all. His brother was in France at the time of his death ( 1st May 1915) and all the family has to go on is a photograph, very faded, of him in highland dress and the medal which was sent to relatives of the deceased by the king.
It's bedtime here in England but I'll have a good look tomorrow with the information you have given me. Thanks for your help and I'll let you know if I find anything of interest.

Ronnie.
 

Michael Dorosh

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Silly me, I assumed that as a member of the 16th he died in Flanders - a German burial would have been unusual in that case!

Will be interesting to see what you come up with.
 
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Michael Dorosh said:
Silly me, I assumed that as a member of the 16th he died in Flanders - a German burial would have been unusual in that case!

Will be interesting to see what you come up with.

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc017/674529a.gif

I found this today on the Veterans Affairs Canada website. I'm very proud to have found a relative who served with the Canadian forces. The links between Liverpool and Canada are quite strong, especially as so many Canadians served in both the Royal Canadian Navy and the Canadian Merchant Navy during the battle of the Atlantic. There is a road named Canada Boulevard which runs close to the Pier Head here. On either side are maple trees and at the foot of each tree lies a paving stone engraved with the name of a ship (HMCS and CMN) which was sunk during the battle, or a RCAF Squadron which took part.
I have also visited St. Margaret's Church (known as The Marble Church) in Bodelwyddan, Wales, the cemetary of which contains the graves of many Canadian soldiers who died during the great influenza epidemic in 1918/19.

Best regards to you all and on this rememberance day, many thanks Canada. We'd be speaking German if it wasn't for you.

Ronnie.
 

Wmsboy

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I am looking for photographs from 1918 of men from the 1st Depot Battalion, Manitoba Regiment.  Any help would be appreciated.  Grandfather was 50 yrs, 6 mos when he enlisted.
 

Michael OLeary

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
410
Wmsboy said:
I am looking for photographs from 1918 of men from the 1st Depot Battalion, Manitoba Regiment.  Any help would be appreciated.  Grandfather was 50 yrs, 6 mos when he enlisted.

Check out the Canadian Expeditionary Force Study Group, someone there may be able to help.

http://www.cefresearch.ca/phpBB3/index.php
 
Reaction score
0
Points
0
According to the CWGC it looks like Williams E. J.  was initially interned in Paderborn Cemetery and the moved to his current grave site.

https://www.tracesofwar.com/sights/3386/German-War-Graves-Paderborn.htm 

Unfortunately, I checked the nominal role of the Camerons and your great uncle did not originally sign up the Camerons.

In a few more months, if you check the Library and Archives Canada website. You should be able to download his personel file. The are at the R's now.  Williams E. J. 29032  (he was most likely taken prisoner and died of his wounds in Germany)

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/search.aspx

Wish you all the best in your search
 

Loachman

Former Army Pilot in Drag
Staff member
Directing Staff
Reaction score
6
Points
480
Welcome to Army.ca, uncle nick nick

I presume that you were addressing Ronnie Williams. If so, he has not visited this Site since 30 December 2005 (you can see that on his profile).

You could PM him. He'll see that, if his e-mail address has not changed. Include your e-mail address, in case he's forgotten his password and cannot log back in.
 
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I found this picture of my grandfather's regiment this weekend. He signed up in Winnipeg in 1915. I have found his attestation papers but am interested in any other information that can be drawn from the photograph.


https://imgur.com/cgalsVz
 
Top