• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

looking for someone to train with

• Thread starter rookie in training
  • Start date
R

rookie in training

hey everyone i was just wondering if theres anyone in the ontario area who is trying to join the canadain army forces and was looking for someone to train with or if not does anyone know of any schools or training centers that u can enter to learn about military training just so i can be more ahead of the game when i go into basic training

The only thing you need to train in beforehand is the physical training. And you might want to at least memorise the ranks. Other then that, you don‘t need to know anything, you‘ll be taught everything.

thanx guys u two seem to me like your already in the army if not sorry but if u are can u tell me 3 of the hardest things u faced in basic training

Originally posted by rhfc-prno:
[qb] navy and army ranks to expand on what just a sig op said [/qb]
If not the officer ranks, then at least the NCM ranks.

And to the fellow who wants to join up, the reason you want to learn these ranks is if you call non-officers sir, well, it doesn‘t make them happy, and if they‘re not happy, you‘re not happy. You always adress them by rank ("Yes master-copral, no master-corpral, three bags full master-corpral")

Yes, so true. That‘ll save you alot of headaches (and arm-aches :) ) the first few days of basic. Oooohh....that lil‘ leafy-thing means he‘s a master corporal....i see now... :D
Don‘t call me sir I work for a living!

Regarding the advice to make sure the boots fit...
when you get fitted, usually you have civy socks on from my understanding. If you‘re a size 10, and a size 10 fits well with civy socks as an example, should you get a size 11 boot to make room for insoles and extra socks?

Any advice for insoles or boot cushioning in regards to how the boot fits?

Lots of guys hear how much they will be walking so they think (as i did) wear more socks, get insoles that are very cushiony (that a word). Problem with lots of cushion is that your feet will more around in them after your boots loosen up or socks and soles compress after a long walk and you will get wickedly horrible blisters. My advice would be to wear a pair of white cotten socks (or whatever you normally use). The boots should be comfortable and go with that, dont ove think it like what happens when its cold and you wear extra socks or its warm and you only want one pair of thin socks. Everyones different too so worst case senario (like me) if you totally goof up you can go back and get a new pair citing your boots don‘t fit properly and your getting blisters.

For insoles i just went to walmart and got a pair of sports shoes insoles.

rookie: You can call them "staff" if you‘re in doubt about the rank. Actually, you‘re probably better off asking them what rank they are if you are unsure.

Also, don‘t know any places in Georgetown to do PT, seeing as I‘ve only been there once. But head over to the local armoury and ask there. The Lorne Scotts are a good bunch of people. They should be able to help you out.

As for boots.. get a good firm insole. Your Mark III combat boots will expand, and what was once a nice fit will become too loose. Your goal should be to minimize foot movement inside the boot (with the exception of the toes).

Originally posted by Ghost778:
[qb] Lots of guys hear how much they will be walking so they think (as i did) wear more socks, get insoles that are very cushiony (that a word). Problem with lots of cushion is that your feet will more around in them after your boots loosen up or socks and soles compress after a long walk and you will get wickedly horrible blisters. My advice would be to wear a pair of white cotten socks (or whatever you normally use). The boots should be comfortable and go with that, dont ove think it like what happens when its cold and you wear extra socks or its warm and you only want one pair of thin socks. Everyones different too so worst case senario (like me) if you totally goof up you can go back and get a new pair citing your boots don‘t fit properly and your getting blisters. [/qb]
On the subject of socks, are you saying that you wear ONLY cotton socks inside your boots? That‘s an instantaneous blister for me... I always wear a pair of cotton socks, and outside them I wear the issued wool socks.

I always found when in training that, as long as my boots fit well, were broken in and I changed to a pair of dry socks whenever possible, that the issued wool socks were fine. However, after training you may want to experiment with different hiking socks, etc, like Thorlos or Smart Wools and see if you like either or both better than the woolies.

The only thing I dislike about the wool socks is that you‘d go in to get some one time, and then the next time you went in to get replacements they‘d be made by a different company, they‘d be thinner, or longer, or.... Anyone else find that or is it just me? Consistency is good...

Always wore grey issued socks, 22 years, no problems. Combat boots with a sorbathane insole the last couple of years, before that whatever was issued. Must admit though, my knees are getting old. Reference clothing stores and socks, Yes every time I went to buy new ones their were being made by someone else. Still wear wool socks, don‘t buy cheap ones though. Marks Work Warehouse sells quality ones. If you own enough sets you end up replacing a couple a year. My advise is to stay away from ‘personal‘ purchased kit. Once in, you won‘t be able to replace it w/o going out to buy it. Army kit ain‘t bad, can‘t keep everybody (anybody?) happy. We‘re alot better equip‘d than most organizations. js

If i‘m not doing anything too stressful or a vehicle patrol or something along those lines i‘ll just use white socks. If im doing a rucksack march or foot patrol for a long period of time i‘ll use the black and green socks combo. When i had my wet weather boots issued i actually got them in different sizes so with one pair i could wear simple white socks comfortablly and with the other pair of boots i can use the green and black socks.

Back