• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lieutenant Pronunciation

The question with answer is not complete without the reason. {Left - tenant} if I have been taught correctly is the title given to the tenant of the land most senior and living to the left of the land lord. The land lord rasies a Coy to fight for the king and he raises that Coy from the tenants of his land. Thus the best land and most senior person on the land as a tenant is the person living next to the lord.

navymich said:
What gets really confusing is when you call it "leftenant" in the Navy and "captain" in the army.  Complete different pronunciation!  ;D
With the Navy being the senior service, I think it should be called "Captain Army" :D

HAHAHAHA

3rd Horseman said:
The question with answer is not complete without the reason. {Left - tenant} if I have been taught correctly is the title given to the tenant of the land most senior and living to the left of the land lord. The land lord rasies a Coy to fight for the king and he raises that Coy from the tenants of his land. Thus the best land and most senior person on the land as a tenant is the person living next to the lord.
That may be the reason why it is pronounced (in english, I don't know about Newf...) as "Lef-tenant".  Having said that, Lieutenant comes from the french, roughly "place holder" I believe.  The "Captain" was the captain of the company, and the lieutenant took over from him in his absence.  The Colonel commanded the regiment, whereas a lietenant colonel took over from him in his absence.
Note that there is also a paralell for the term "major".  A captain had a lieutenant and a sergeant-major.  A Colonel had a lieutenant colonel and a major.  A General had a lieutenant general and a major general.  THAT is why "Major General" is lower in rank than "Lieutenant General".
Also remember that historically, a Brigadier was NOT a General rank.  I don't know when it became "Brigadier General".

krustyrl said:
Very interesting.........I just keep on learning.!

Learning what?  That Von {insert whatever his current name is here} is full of too much UFI??  ;D

Just kidding, it is interesting to learn things like this, especially when someone else does the research!

Actually, I am full of UFI.  It just seems that when I hear something, I never lose it.  Some day my brain will explode when I suddenly remember that two Dicks played Darrin on Bewitched!

Hearing something is good, but how about writing, or even maybe....spelling??  ::)

I heard that in the good olde days it was improper to call an officer a "tender of the loo." Can't cite it though

Zartan said:
I heard that in the good olde days it was improper to call an officer a "tender of the loo." Can't cite it though

:rofl:

I doubt you could get away with that even now!

:D

3rd Horseman said:

Lieutenant (lyootenon in French) is pronounced Leftenant for exactly the same reason that Cholmondeley is pronounced Chumley, Beaulieu is pronounce Byooley and Saint John is pronounce Sinjin.  So that proper Englishmen would not be confused with those folks from the other side of the English Channel. 

As a properly schooled "Place Holder".  ;)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lieutenant

[Middle English, deputy, from Old French  : lieu, lieu; see lieu + tenant, present participle of tenir, to hold (from Latin tenre. See ten- in Indo-European Roots).]

Word History: What is the connection between a lieutenant governor and a lieutenant in the army? In the etymology of the word lieutenant, at least, the connection lies in their holding a place; that is, the word lieutenant is from an Old French compound made up of lieu, “place,” and tenant, “holding.” The word in Old French and the borrowed Middle English word lieutenant, first recorded near the end of the 14th century, referred to a person who acted for another as a deputy. This usage has survived, for example, in our term lieutenant governor, the deputy of the governor and the one who replaces the governor if need be. In military parlance lieutenant appears by itself as well as in compounds such as first lieutenant and second lieutenant, which muddy the water a bit, but the original notion of the word in military usage was that the officer it referred to ranked below the next one up and could replace him if need be. A lieutenant in the U.S. Army could thus step into the shoes of a captain.

A General had a lieutenant general and a major general.  THAT is why "Major General" is lower in rank than "Lieutenant General".

And actually the General was originally the Captain-General, meaning the Captain in general or overall command while the Lieutenant-general is the deputy or place holder general.  The Major general originally was the Serjeant Major general where a Serjeant was a servant, and the Serjeant Majeur was the Big Servant.

So in the beginning you had a company of men who kept company with each other and came from a district in the campagne or country and went into the campagne or field on campaign.

They were led by a head man or captain, from the same root as capital or decapitated.  The place holder stood in lieu of the head man when the captain wasn't available. The lieutenant was often a relative of the captain.  The Headman and his place holder were accompanied on campaign into the field by his trusted servants who were organized by his most trusted servant or major servant to train and organize the men under his command.

All these companies, headed by Captains were organised into armies.  The most favoured Captain in the army would be given that general command.

Armies marched in Columns, or Colonnes in french and the Colonnes were led by Colonels.

I love the opportunity to be pedantic. ;)

Ah the invasion of the American Language! It just seeps into everything doesnt it? Even the way they pronounce things. But i'm not going to get into that.
Strange but i've actually heard the title "Lieutenant" pronounced a couple of different ways, "boss" is a popular one over here!
Its a funny word but theres a certain romance and character in its pronounciation.

I cant fathom why you'd claim your being un PC and individual by saying lootenant. Not only does is show a whole smash of ignorance but its also disrespectful and rude. I'm intensly proud that i talk, write and act very differently to the people that i see on Yank tv. I'm an Australian, i'm british and i'm very proud that i say "Al-u-minium" instead of "A-luminum" or spell it "Colour" or "Honour" or anything down that line.
Americans can never figure out why they never get invited to the commonwealth games...And wouldnt it be a very different world if they were still part of it?

Have a gooder,
Hales

Back