• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lieutenant Pronunciation

Aquilus said:
You don't like using the 'extra' U's and find lieutenant insulting? Well now, that is english. Color is not an english word. American-English yes, but we're not Americans now are we? They seemed to have changed a few things as I guess they tried to get away from the British as much as possible, I'm not very certain. I personally thing that who ever pronounces it loo-tenant, has been influenced far too much by american war movies. :p

Actually, the subject was mentioned on the CBC programme The Canadian Experience, within the topic, Talking Canadian. I personnaly learned a lot from this episode. 

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed in the past, or whether the information is sitting right in front of me.  I was wondering what exactly is a "left-tennant"?  I've heard the term before on different shows/movies, and my cousin said back in the 80's he was a left-tennant in the CF and did a peacekeeping mission in Cyprus.  So does anyone know the answer? I'm just curious.

Its spelled lieutenant, pronounced differently than the yankees (loo-tenant), and its an officer type guy =p

Theres 2LT, the lowest rank in the officer chain, and then theres 1LT. They are usually platoon commanders or something to that extent in the infantry.

Lieutenant was always pronounced "left-tennant" by the British and of course since we speak English, we pronounce it the same. The yanks changed it to suit their whim, along with the spelling of a lot of other english words.

I heard the "left" pronunciation was used because of English slang's designation of "loo" as a toilet. Hence a "loo-tenant" would be a tenant of the bathroom. Of course, this could all be BS but I thought it was an interesting explanation.

I remember hearing once that we say "Left" because the "Leiu" sounded too french for the British way back when.  Probably not true, but hey.

Okay I understand now.  I know what a "lieutennant" is so I understand everything.  Thanks for the clarification.

It's always amusing to have a Star Trek conversation and insist on saying "Left-tenant" Whorf, or "Left-tenant" Commander Data.  Drives people nuts.

BKells said:
Lieutenant was always pronounced "left-tennant" by the British and of course since we speak English, we pronounce it the same. The yanks changed it to suit their whim, along with the spelling of a lot of other english words.
Actually we in Canada officially speak and write Oxford English as the Military does also,if in doubt go into your Orderly Room and ask for the dictionary and you will find it is the Canadian version of the Oxford Dictionary with out the spelling of tyer vs tire. ;)

Good evening gents,

I would like to know if it is still proper in the Canadian Army to pronounce it "leftenant" or if some people use the American pronunciation "lootenant."  I myself use "leftenant" but I do keep hearing "lootenant" popping up.

So please tell me, are both right?  Is "leftenant" preferred?

Thanks in advance,
Cheers!
Private Yohann St-Cyr

I have never heard it pronounced Lootenant in the CF.  That is an American thing.

What gets really confusing is when you call it "leftenant" in the Navy and "captain" in the army.  Complete different pronunciation!  ;D

Haha!  Silly bugger!

Well, thank you for clarifying that.  I will keep on correcting people then!

Cheers!

Wrong, taken from German equivalent for John "Johann" prounced "Yohann."  My parents specifically named me Yohann for people to avoid making that specific error.  Pronouncing it "Joe-han" is as sinful as saying "lootenant." 

Nice try though.

beach_bum said:
I have never heard it pronounced Lootenant in the CF.  That is an American thing.

You know dude, the CF also conducts business in both official languages...  ;D

I've found that most civilians, at least those with no contact with anyone in the military, will use the term lootenant because of the overpowering influence of the American media - ie, tv and movies. I would think most new people to the Canadian military would initially use lootenant because that is what they've heard before. So be gentle when correcting them, leftenant isn't exactly obvious from the spelling  :D

Kilo Mike said:
You know dude, the CF also conducts business in both official languages...  ;D

Even in French its not pronounced "lootenant"

cdnaviator said:
Even in French its not pronounced "lootenant"

Don't get so high and mighty.  He means the other official language----Newf

navymich said:
Don't get so high and mighty.  He means the other official language----Newf
Yeah, we have a language in our own. Even sometimes we can't understand eachother  ;)

Back