• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

Latest aggregate from 338.

LPC seem to be making slow gains in seat and popular vote projections. Which at this moment doesn’t mean much. CPC down over the same period but well within majority territory.

If Trudeau steps down there could be a bigger closing of the gap. It would be bad news if he stays on as the climb back would be slow or non existent.

Latest aggregate from 338.

LPC seem to be making slow gains in seat and popular vote projections. Which at this moment doesn’t mean much. CPC down over the same period but well within majority territory.

If Trudeau steps down there could be a bigger closing of the gap. It would be bad news if he stays on as the climb back would be slow or non existent.
Ignoring foreign influence was probably a hit with their party members.

… If Trudeau steps down there could be a bigger closing of the gap …
Other polling says there could be quite a boost, indeed. Unless it really is to late to tum the ship around.
… would be bad news if he stays on as the climb back would be slow or non existent.
Good news for PP @ Co if he stays, though.
Ignoring foreign influence was probably a hit with their party members.
Every party has dirty laundry there so I suspect that may not be a biggie :)

I suspect part of the reason they don’t want to name the traitors is because if they kick 11 members out of their party caucus they will lose the ability to govern. That 11 seats would put them from a slight majority with NDP support to exactly 50% with NDP support.

I suspect part of the reason they don’t want to name the traitors is because if they kick 11 members out of their party caucus they will lose the ability to govern. That 11 seats would put them from a slight majority with NDP support to exactly 50% with NDP support.
I have a feeling the Liberals have a little more than 11 out of the 24 suspected members.

Strange that actual collusion between our politicians and foreigners doesn't seem to have people tearing their hair out as much as alleged-and-unproven collusion between US politicians and foreigners.

Strange that actual collusion between our politicians and foreigners doesn't seem to have people tearing their hair out as much as alleged-and-unproven collusion between US politicians and foreigners.
I haven't said much because I'm just at a loss for words.

Literal treason.

Yet... Eerily quiet.

I’d say it’s likely, given who the membership of this site generally is, that there’s more need for many members to be cautious in their online commenting regarding domestic national security issues.

There will likely be Tories and NDP involved too. If the list was all Tories it would have been leaked 5 minutes after submission to committee. They're hiding something.
The possibility is still more than zero that some media outlet(s) has the list and is sweating it out with lawyers, too. Watch & shoot, as they used to say at the ranges ...

The possibility is still more than zero that some media outlet(s) has the list and is sweating it out with lawyers, too. Watch & shoot, as they used to say at the ranges ...

At present, the case law is not favourable for investigating or prosecuting reporters for publishing national security information. That case lawn’s about 18 years old, O’Neill v Canada, and saw part of the Security of Information Act struck down through an Ottawa Citizen reporter challenging a search warrant issued after she published sensitive information about the Maher Arar case. SOIA has not been reformed since. https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.612129

I’m not aware of any prosecution since for journalistic publishing of leaked national security information. With that said, in a hypothetical of classified national security information being disclosed to the media, the leakers themselves would likely be fair game if investigators could identify them and confirm the leak. The applicable law there would likely be s.16 of SOIA, which the RCMP recently got one of their own convicted on. Of course, usual caveat for I2E, evidentiary admissibility etc etc. But, even short of prosecution, their clearances and careers would be forfeit if caught.

At present, the case law is not favourable for investigating or prosecuting reporters for publishing national security information. That case lawn’s about 18 years old, O’Neill v Canada, and saw part of the Security of Information Act struck down through an Ottawa Citizen reporter challenging a search warrant issued after she published sensitive information about the Maher Arar case. SOIA has not been reformed since. https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.612129

I’m not aware of any prosecution since for journalistic publishing of leaked national security information.
Thanks for that - a titch less risk for media ....
... With that said, in a hypothetical of classified national security information being disclosed to the media, the leakers themselves would likely be fair game if investigators could identify them and confirm the leak. The applicable law there would likely be s.16 of SOIA, which the RCMP recently got one of their own convicted on. Of course, usual caveat for I2E, evidentiary admissibility etc etc. But, even short of prosecution, their clearances and careers would be forfeit if caught.
... with WAY more for any leakers. Still, didn't seem to stop the Globe & Global from getting their stuff, but sounds like the risk is far, far greater on the sender in this case than any receivers.

Thanks for that - a titch less risk for media ....

... with WAY more for any leakers. Still, didn't seem to stop the Globe & Global from getting their stuff, but sounds like the risk is far, far greater on the sender in this case than any receivers.
Again, speaking just to hypotheticals- but I agree. Tons of risk to the leaker of any classified information.

There’s separate case law to suggest that police could potentially target the source of information through the journalist. RCMP got recordings a Global News reporter had from an interview with an ISIS fighter; the reporter was not a suspect, and police got a production order compelling the handover of the recording. Now, this isn’t in the context of a privileged journalistic source, but it would probably be part of the calculus lawyers and courts would have to make. Court backs RCMP in fight for Global News recording of alleged ISIS member - National | Globalnews.ca

All said and done, to my very amateur eyes it’s still a murky and not crystallized area of law. The offences are very much there; the investigative steps and authorities potentially pretty tricky. I wouldn’t want to be the guy or girl suspected of leaking something though.

Wait until the capital gains tax increases and professionals along with doctors start leaving south. The Liberals are still scratching the surface of complete and utter incompetence, there is still much more left in the tank with their bright ideas!

Wait until the capital gains tax increases and professionals along with doctors start leaving south. The Liberals are still scratching the surface of complete and utter incompetence, there is still much more left in the tank with their bright ideas!
Like capital gains tax on sale of primary residence. It’s a-comin’!

Back