• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Legality of Buying & Selling Private Firearms

Snaketnk

Inactive
Reaction score
This is honest curiosity... but I'm going to have to question the legality of privately trading/selling firearms... Of course, I have little knowledge on the subject.

Edited to split topic

Why would it be a legality issue? It happens all the time. With the proper permits on both ends it's not a big deal at all.

MedTech said:
Why would it be a legality issue? It happens all the time. With the proper permits on both ends it's not a big deal at all.

Okay then, I just thought that to distribute firearms in any way, shape, or form you needed a BFL. With such stringent gun control up here, I'm surprised individuals can sell/trade them. I'll stand down to your obviously superior knowledge.

(After writing that, it sounds sarcastic, but I assure you no sarcasm is meant)

Snaketnk said:
Okay then, I just thought that to distribute firearms in any way, shape, or form you needed a BFL. With such stringent gun control up here, I'm surprised individuals can sell/trade them. I'll stand down to your obviously superior knowledge.

(After writing that, it sounds sarcastic, but I assure you no sarcasm is meant)

... what the hell is a "BFL" ???  I buy and or sell guns at least on a monthly basis and I've never heard of one before  ???...

mudgunner49 said:
... what the hell is a "BFL" ???  I buy and or sell guns at least on a monthly basis and I've never heard of one before  ???...

+1  ???

All you need to purchase a gun is a PAL (possession & acquisition licence).

mudgunner49 said:

My mistake, it's a Firearms Business Licence (FBL, rather than BFL), and they say,

Your business, museum or organization will need a valid firearms business licence to possess, manufacture or sell firearms

I'll admit I don't know much beyond what's on this page, but here it is. It doesn't say anything about individuals not being able to sell firearms to other individuals, so if you guys are doing this trading out in the open, then I'm going to assume there's no law against it.

Firearm Businesses:http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/firearmsbusinesses_e.asp

We have not reached the stage where individuals are prohibited from selling their own legaly owned property thank god, yet...

The seller must ensure that the buyer has a valid PAL and transfer the registration to the new owner through the CFC over the phone, that's it.

COBRA-6 said:
+1  ???

All you need to purchase a gun is a PAL (possession & acquisition licence).

Or, as in this case, an R/PAL.

A lengthy thread, but some useful info: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/28692.0.html

The legislation, its attendant regulations, and supporting bureaucracy could'nt be more fracked up even if that had been the sole intent of the assorted morons that created it.

And not everybody needs a PAL to purchase, own, or posess even restricted or prohibited firearms, or ATTs or ATCs to take them out of their dwelling houses. Gangsters do so all of the time, thereby saving the Canadian Firearms Centre a lot of annoying paperwork and keeping costs down to a publically acceptable level.

Back