• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leave - Recall and Other Issues [MERGED]

ArmyVern said:
You should stop.

You are turning this into a "combat arms:support trades" thing when nothing in his comments implied this.

This thread is pretty sad.  I've served with a lot of great COs and Commanders, and none of them would need 8 pages of babble to wrestle with these situations.  As a leader, look at policy and use common sense and discretion to make the best decision possible on a case by case basis.  Consider mission, then your men and women, then yourself.

Female soldier is pregnant and wants doesn't want to take a financial hit with MATA leave to have baby.  Send her to the doc to get the required medical leave to have her baby.  Throw her some short leave if you want, because you can.

Male soldier's wife has a cesarean and can't look after the other kids for a week or so while she is recovering.  Give him some compassionate leave.

I recommended to my CO (and was supported) in sending a soldier home a week early from Afghanistan to see his first child born.  If she was due half-way through the tour, he would have enjoyed the pictures and emails. 

Each case has its own circumstances and context.  CO's get paid the big bucks to weigh them and make the best decision.

Bzzliteyr said:
Two PT sessions a day. The infantry don't have that much to do.

An infantry battalion did a count on how many days in a year its soldiers spent sleeping away from their homes; this generally implied training or courses and in most cases meant sleeping on the ground under the stars.  The average was about 2-3 months, with some MCpls and Sergeants spending 150-170 days of the year away from their home.  This was during a year without high readiness training or operational deployments.

You're talking out of your a$$.

Infanteer said:
An infantry battalion did a count on how many days in a year its soldiers spent sleeping away from their homes; this generally implied training or courses and in most cases meant sleeping on the ground under the stars.  The average was about 2-3 months, with some MCpls and Sergeants spending 150-170 days of the year away from their home.  This was during a year without high readiness training or operational deployments.

Guys, guys. You can't feed the trolls. Don't make it easy for us. Since when have the infantry ever taken a ribbing so seriously?

Sorry, on this thread, I can't tell who's being serious.

Infanteer said:

I'd also suggest that physical fitness is a part of the job description of someone in the Combat Arms, and no different than a signaller taking his section outside for antenna construction refresher for that same amount of time.

Infanteer said:
Each case has its own circumstances and context.  CO's get paid the big bucks to weigh them and make the best decision.

Yep; that's why they are COs.

Back